IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | idntools | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th January 2012, 04:19 PM
Premium User

alexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enough
Strange Chinese IDN registration issue

A few days ago, I registered two Chinese IDNs....

圣托里尼.com (xn--ydso2jb3fmn9c.com)

聖托里尼.com (xn--8ftz5ldu3a5pp.com)

Both mean Santorini ( a famous Greek island ) in Chinese Traditional and Simplied.

The order seems to have gone through - and thats the last I thought of it. However, yesterday, I noticed some credit in my Dynadot account ( where I registered the domains ), and after a little searching through my account, it appears that the 2nd Chinese IDN xn--8ftz5ldu3a5pp.com - is not in my account. I check the whois and though it's marked as registered, there are no details. However, the other domain does have my info in the whois.

I contacted Dynadot about this, and they replied with the following ....

Hello,
The credit you see is from that order.

It took about 3 minutes for your payment to be received from PayPal. During that time, someone else at another Registrar got to xn--8ftz5ldu3a5pp.com.

Best Regards,
Dynadot Staff

so according to Dynadot, by pure back luck - someone else registered the domain during the time it took for my payment to be received via Paypal.

So, here are a few of my questions ...

1) Isn't payment through Paypal meant to be instant ?? I've never heard of a payment taking three minutes to complete.

2) Is this really a case of bad luck.

3) Has the 2nd domain not actually been registered, but been blocked for some reason ??

4) If it has been blocked, is this related to the fact that the 1st domain was registered successfully ??? I am guessing the fact that maybe they are both Chinese versions of the same word ??

Thanks for reading.

Alex

Last edited by alexd; 27th January 2012 at 04:22 PM..
Old 27th January 2012, 04:45 PM
Premium User

squirrel is a name known to all
squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all
Re: Strange Chinese IDN registration issue

Alex, you simply blocked yourself here. The 2 domains are variant of one another, the first is in simplified Chinese, the other in traditional Chinese. Because 圣托里尼.com (xn--ydso2jb3fmn9c.com) was processed first, it blocked 聖托里尼.com (xn--8ftz5ldu3a5pp.com) at the registry level. No one can register 聖托里尼.com (xn--8ftz5ldu3a5pp.com) as long as the other is registered to someone.

search for "variant block" if you need a clearer explanation
Old 27th January 2012, 04:56 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
Alex, you simply blocked yourself here. The 2 domains are variant of one another, the first is in simplified Chinese, the other in traditional Chinese. Because 圣托里尼.com (xn--ydso2jb3fmn9c.com) was processed first, it blocked 聖托里尼.com (xn--8ftz5ldu3a5pp.com) at the registry level. No one can register 聖托里尼.com (xn--8ftz5ldu3a5pp.com) as long as the other is registered to someone.

search for "variant block" if you need a clearer explanation
Yep.

To my knowledge, only our idntools whois lookup has this variant conflict logic baked into it.

Check out www.idnwhois.com/聖托里尼.com
Old 27th January 2012, 05:16 PM

bumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura about

Alex, you just outed yourself as an IDN noob. :D

At least you got the simplified version.
Old 27th January 2012, 05:18 PM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

I love Dynadot explanation lol.
Old 27th January 2012, 06:18 PM
Premium User

alexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the replies guys. I was pretty sure it was a variant block - but after what Dynadot came back and told me - I wasn't sure if it was just bad luck !!

Looks like Dynadot don't know about this !!

Old 27th January 2012, 06:19 PM
Premium User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee man View Post
At least you got the simplified version.
Yes, I'm happy that I didn't block that one !!

Old 28th January 2012, 11:53 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

That Dynadot reply certainly is funny.
Old 2nd May 2012, 05:52 PM

celia is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd like to correct Dynadot reply as this: It took about 3 minutes for your payment to be received from PayPal. During that time, someone else (might be yourself) at another Registrar got to xn--8ftz5ldu3a5pp.com.
very funny both Alex and Dynadot. lol