IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | idntools | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st March 2012, 04:56 PM

Ben has a spectacular aura aboutBen has a spectacular aura aboutBen has a spectacular aura aboutBen has a spectacular aura aboutBen has a spectacular aura aboutBen has a spectacular aura aboutBen has a spectacular aura aboutBen has a spectacular aura aboutBen has a spectacular aura aboutBen has a spectacular aura about
.net vs .org

I'd like to hear peoples opinions about which extension is better, and in which languages? If you have traffic stats to back it up over a meaningful sample size then even better. Or does it have to be taken on a case by case basis, with different domains suited more to different extensions?

I hope there's not already a thread of this, if there is please point me in the right direction.

Thanks.
Old 1st March 2012, 05:23 PM

squirrel is a name known to all
squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all
Re: .net vs .org

A few things:
Not all scripts are allowed under dot org, so you can't compare every scripts.

In latin languages (French, Turkish, Hungarian, etc.) sometimes an IDN .net or .org will get lots of traffic because the ASCII version is developed.

In terms of which is *better*, I'd say you need to consider the aliasing plans of the relevant registries.

Many members here have both .orgs and .nets with traffic. From memory RD was discussing traffic to .nets in one of his "ductoids"/factoids a few months ago.
Old 1st March 2012, 05:57 PM

tee1 is on a distinguished roadtee1 is on a distinguished roadtee1 is on a distinguished roadtee1 is on a distinguished roadtee1 is on a distinguished roadtee1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
In terms of which is *better*, I'd say you need to consider the aliasing plans of the relevant registries.
I think its a case by case basis, but what squirrel said is huge. If Verisgin doesn't apply for the .net of a script and does so for the .com I think it kills the .net. It will be 2 years before the .net gets aliased at best. Having said that I have Arabic .nets doing well, I am not sure they need aliasing only development

I don't think the results here are relevant for IDNs, again as squirrel said not all scripts have .orgs and Russians seem to despise .nets which kills me because I have some nice .nets (:
http://domainnamewire.com/2012/02/29...ain-investors/
Old 1st March 2012, 07:00 PM

Jay is on a distinguished roadJay is on a distinguished roadJay is on a distinguished roadJay is on a distinguished roadJay is on a distinguished roadJay is on a distinguished road

I think there's a good chance that eventually every major extension that allows 2nd level IDN domains and doesn't conflict with other TLDs will get aliased - if the application costs come down in later rounds that is (which I expect they will). It's just a question of how long you are willing to hold.

Last edited by Jay; 1st March 2012 at 07:00 PM..
Old 1st March 2012, 09:16 PM

mulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tee1 View Post
I think its a case by case basis, but what squirrel said is huge. If Verisgin doesn't apply for the .net of a script and does so for the .com I think it kills the .net. It will be 2 years before the .net gets aliased at best. Having said that I have Arabic .nets doing well, I am not sure they need aliasing only development

I don't think the results here are relevant for IDNs, again as squirrel said not all scripts have .orgs and Russians seem to despise .nets which kills me because I have some nice .nets (:
http://domainnamewire.com/2012/02/29...ain-investors/
Wouldn't worry about Cyrillic .net

Last edited by mulligan; 1st March 2012 at 09:16 PM..
Old 1st March 2012, 10:43 PM

bumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura about

.Net vs. .org is a bit like silver medal vs. bronze medal at the Olympics. One of them should be better, the other one feels better.

Last edited by bumblebee man; 1st March 2012 at 10:54 PM..
Old 1st March 2012, 11:11 PM

squirrel is a name known to all
squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
Wouldn't worry about Cyrillic .net
Do you know something that we don't?