IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names

IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names (http://www.idnforums.com/forums/)
-   New gTLDs (http://www.idnforums.com/forums/new-gtlds/)
-   -   Elephant in the room (http://www.idnforums.com/forums/31145-elephant-in-the-room.html)

alpha 20th March 2012 05:09 PM

Elephant in the room

If you believe that the value in your non-latin .ascii extn IDN will be unlocked, when it is also available in the .ascii extn-in-IDN extension

and

You understand that according to the latest talk, the next round of new gTLDs could be "a few years away"

and

You own a substantial amount of top tier keyword .nets or "smaller" language scripts

What do you do, if come May 1st, you find out that your language/extn is not being applied for?

Be interesting to hear from those that are big .net holders or maybe Thai, one of the many Indian scripts etc

If your reg fees are not covered, what do you do when faced with that reality?

Kent99 20th March 2012 05:31 PM

Re: Elephant in the room

I think the situation depends on the language. In Japanese, I don't think it'll matter one bit if .net doesn't go full IDN. Typing ドメイン.net requires one language key toggle

but typing ドメイン.ネット requires two. The dot is ASCII, so you toggle to ASCII, type the dot, then toggle back to Japanese. I think it is a pain. Maybe a native

speaker can comment. I'm waiting for further publicity, for Verisign to reaffirm our rights and for an e-mail solution. BTW, I only own a handful of net's.

squirrel 20th March 2012 05:41 PM

great question Alpha.

I'll drop 95% of my .nets (have started already) and will keep a few premium .coms for the languages that Verisign will not have applied for. The amount of minor script .coms I'll keep will depend on how things pick up for my major script .coms . I guesstimate I'll drop half of my minor script .coms in 2012.

A few months back I was offered discount pricing if I moved all my domains to a certain registrar. I couldn't commit to moving a fixed amount of domains because of the May 1st uncertainty so I did not do it but I did a bit of math then and I estimated that my total domain holdings would go down from 1400 to 1000-900 over the next 12 months. 500 drops give or take.

Clarification : the 500 fig includes garbage stuff I would have dropped anyway.

alpha 20th March 2012 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kent99 (Bericht 194224)
I think the situation depends on the language. In Japanese, I don't think it'll matter one bit if .net doesn't go full IDN. Typing ドメイン.net requires one language key toggle

but typing ドメイン.ネット requires two. The dot is ASCII, so you toggle to ASCII, type the dot, then toggle back to Japanese. I think it is a pain. Maybe a native. speaker can comment.

I'm no native but I know for sure there is a Japanese "dot" it looks a little like a cheerio

mulligan 20th March 2012 05:59 PM

bumblebee man 20th March 2012 07:00 PM

The largest part of my portfolio should not be affected as I dropped quite a few minor language ones (only kept 2 Indian geos) and many dotnets during the last year. My most registered languages:
1) Russian (included for sure)
2) German (doesn't need IDN)
3) Hebrew or Arabic (included for sure)

alpha 20th March 2012 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulligan (Bericht 194229)

That's the one. The cheerio ;)

And if you use it as a dot in a domain name, it resolves ok.

So kent99, I think your logic of switching to type a dot is wrong (makes sense, else it would kinda defeat the whole idea of a native extn)

Kent99 20th March 2012 09:02 PM

Oh, thanks. Good to know.

Drewbert 20th March 2012 09:43 PM

I wonder, does the average Japanese surfer know that 。 is mapped to . ?

Maybe we should be using 。 instead of . in all our branding and current websites to push it home?

sarcle 20th March 2012 09:51 PM

Quote:

Elephant in the room
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kent99 (Bericht 194224)
e-mail solution

bumblebee man 20th March 2012 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarcle (Bericht 194240)
e-mail solution

Well, unlike this issue IDN e-mail has been debated over and over again and unlike this issue there's not a lot we can do about it.

I'd expect a good number of those first round rejects to drop. Many seem to be tired of waiting. And keep in mind that we might get double charged for IDN.IDN. For large portfolio holders this would be quite a cost increase. It would be only natural to save on some other end then.

Maybe that could be an opportunity for latecomers.

Avtal 21st March 2012 01:07 AM

I plan to hold onto my minor-language domains. Once aliasing happens for the major languages, end users of the minor languages may start to see the potential, even if they have to wait until 2016 for the domains to reach full value. Or so I keep telling myself.

Avtal

IdnHost 21st March 2012 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avtal (Bericht 194245)
I plan to hold onto my minor-language domains. Once aliasing happens for the major languages, end users of the minor languages may start to see the potential, even if they have to wait until 2016 for the domains to reach full value. Or so I keep telling myself.

Avtal

Makes perfect sense to me as well. Once the few major languages get alliased, then its only logical that the minor ones will eventually follow. Just a matter of time. JMO

Jay 21st March 2012 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bumblebee man (Bericht 194242)
Maybe that could be an opportunity for latecomers.

Yeah, some of us who were late to the game will do the wait thing that the 1st and 2nd wave IDNers did. We'll just have to wear the renewal costs and exercise patience like the old-timers have had to.

If anyone wants to unload prime terms in the unaliased languages, PM me.