IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th May 2006, 04:39 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point
DCG's registration all done one day?

Has anyone noticed that DCG's registration of idns is like all done on the 20th March?? In comparison, most of us register everyday. I've not seen any registration done later than the 20th. Puzzling.
Old 24th May 2006, 05:27 AM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to thegenius1
Re: DCG's registration all done one day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
Has anyone noticed that DCG's registration of idns is like all done on the 20th March?? In comparison, most of us register everyday. I've not seen any registration done later than the 20th. Puzzling.

How many of his have you noticed this one , i just did a quick check of 2 domains i remember him having and i found this date Expiration Date: 2007-03-06
Creation Date: 2006-03-06
Last Update Date: 2006-03-06
Old 24th May 2006, 02:06 PM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I'd probably be more interested in the quality of his registrations..
I've heard the number but I've never heard any premium examples unless he's written them only in his executive section.

I'm just curious since he's public about having 5,000 IDNs.
Old 24th May 2006, 02:13 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

I'll bet most are Chinese & Arabic
Old 24th May 2006, 02:23 PM

Giant is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale
I'll bet most are Chinese & Arabic
Yes, he put some money into Chinese domains. But you have to search some junk domains to see where he is hiding :-).

Dot Com is King. IDN.com will soon be king.
@
Old 24th May 2006, 02:30 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant
Yes, he put some money into Chinese domains. But you have to search some junk domains to see where he is hiding :-).
We all get some junk in foreign languages, exception to native speakers.
DCG has the experience and resources to most likely have a pretty good collection across a lot of languages. I hope he shares some of his lists and strategy someday.

Also noticed he has registered equivalent of bilingual.com in Chinese...that was one we were after too, but also reg'd in March.
Old 24th May 2006, 02:31 PM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Are you saying that they are bad Chinese registrations?
Old 24th May 2006, 02:33 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olney
I think that question is to Giant...the ones I have seen that DCG registered were keywords we were after as well with (hopefully) correct translations, and minimum of 10,000,000 google.
Old 24th May 2006, 03:16 PM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to thegenius1
Lightbulb Re: DCG's registration all done one day?

I'll share 2 japanese IDN's i have found that he Regd :

東京湾.com
Tokyo Bay (東京湾; Tōkyō-wan) is a bay in the southern Kanto region of Japan, surrounded by the Boso Peninsula (Chiba Prefecture) and the Miura Peninsula (Kanagawa Prefecture). The ports of Tokyo, Chiba, Kawasaki, Yokohama, and Yokosuka are all located on Tokyo Bay

東京圏.com

The Greater Tokyo Area is a large metropolitan area in Japan consisting of the metropolis of Tokyo and the prefectures of Chiba, Kanagawa and Saitama. In Japanese, it is referred to as the Tokyo Area (東京圏, Tōkyō-ken?)
Old 24th May 2006, 03:23 PM

Quote:
They are not bad registrations. He probably hired some people fluent in different languages in March and collected a list of words and then regged them all. Of course, there are not many good Chinese names left in March. Some of his Chinese regs are ok, but many others I wouldn't want to reg them myself. He probably got some good regs in other languages.

@
Old 24th May 2006, 03:23 PM
Veteran

gammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished road

He did well in the languages that weren't already fully mined in March, like Urkanian, Hindi, Icelandic, some Czech.

If those Japanese are representative, then maybe not so good in others.

At the end of the day, if he has a hit-rate of 5% he's laughing all the way to the bank with 250 good ones.
Old 24th May 2006, 03:25 PM
Veteran

He didn't just hire a few people fluent in different languages - he registered 100+ different languages. All this done only in a span of a few weeks!
Old 24th May 2006, 03:28 PM
Veteran

gammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished road

He did say he used that multi-language translator which is not that accurate but spits out tens of results per query.

It was a brute force effort methinks.
Old 24th May 2006, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc
We all get some junk in foreign languages, exception to native speakers.
DCG has the experience and resources to most likely have a pretty good collection across a lot of languages. I hope he shares some of his lists and strategy someday.

Also noticed he has registered equivalent of bilingual.com in Chinese...that was one we were after too, but also reg'd in March.
bilingual.com is a top name in English, especially to Canadians, we have 2 formal languages. But 双语 is just an average name in Chinese, although you get more than 4M results from Google. To explain why, we should look at the make up of the people in an English speaking country and a mainly Chinese-speaking China. Canada's population speak many different languages daily, bilingual workers are in high demand. But 双语 is used in China when someone has some documents to be translated. If you say to some one "get me a bilingual person" in Chinese, people don't normally catch what you are saying, you have to explain that you need a person that can speak 2 languages.

@
Old 24th May 2006, 05:05 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I'd probably be more interested in the quality of his registrations..
I've heard the number but I've never heard any premium examples unless he's written them only in his executive section.

I'm just curious since he's public about having 5,000 IDNs.
I came across a couple when looking at Azeri, media related and probably Turkish. Very high quality indeed!
Old 24th May 2006, 05:17 PM
Veteran

Yes, this strategy is good for lesser mined languages, but somehow i feel that sooner or later Google will crack down on traffic outside of industrialized nations.

It will happen, only a matter of time, when enough advertisers complain about the non-conversion....

Last edited by touchring; 24th May 2006 at 05:20 PM..
Old 24th May 2006, 05:24 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
Yes, this strategy is good for lesser mined languages, but somehow i feel that sooner or later Google will crack down on traffic outside of industrialized nations.

It will happen, only a matter of time, when enough advertisers complain about the non-conversion....
I think you will find that has been happening for a while, if anything the reverse is true will traffic from developed nations being clamped down on for lack of relevency. By contrast slowly but surely there does seem to be some acceptence that non American traffic might have some value. At the same time, I think there is a growing tendency for Google to screw everyone!
Old 24th May 2006, 05:29 PM
Veteran

Quote:
By contrast slowly but surely there does seem to be some acceptence that non American traffic might have some value.

It depends on the type of product sold. Mail delivered consumer products (which attract the highest traffic) is mostly out - the cost of express mail delivery will be multiples of the product price.

Last edited by touchring; 24th May 2006 at 05:36 PM..
Old 24th May 2006, 07:35 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

So he's bagging flies with a shotgun?

I've NEVER seen his WHOIS on any name I've been researching.

I'd say quite a low percentage of those 5000 names are actually worth registering.
Old 24th May 2006, 09:49 PM
Veteran

I've encountered his WHOIS no less than 10 times, that hi-impact company.