IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | idntools | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Development > Browser, Mobile & Software

Browser, Mobile & Software Discussion of IDNs & browsers such as Microsoft IE, mobile cell phones, or other software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th May 2006, 10:43 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
IE 7.0 Unistallation

I have installed the Public Beta 2 on my machines, but Lenka cannot get to her bank account in CZ, as it doesn't support IE 7.0.

So I tried to uninstall it on my other machine, but even the Public Beta seems to be unable to perform this basic essential task of any Beta. What was the Chief Software Architects name again. Yes, the Arsehole with the glasses.

Anyway, failing that I restored the system to before the IE 7.0 installation. No joy. I get Google.co.uk which is the home page and nothing else. I don't have Firefox on this machine, so I seem to be completely knackered. Is there any reasonable way I can get a browser to be able to access the internet from this machine.

What a dumb f*ck idea, it is to incorporate the browser into the operating system, especially one as flakey as Windows. If Bill, yes thats the guy, thinks I want this sh*t on my mobile phone as well, he is seriously deluded!

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 24th May 2006 at 10:46 AM..
Old 24th May 2006, 10:58 AM

markits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enough
Re: IE 7.0 Unistallation

Don't be sad (you may need to take your glasses off though).

Have you tried the text only browser Lynx
http://lynx.isc.org/lynx2.8.5/index.html
Old 24th May 2006, 11:02 AM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by markits
Don't be sad (you may need to take your glasses off though).

Have you tried the text only browser Lynx
http://lynx.isc.org/lynx2.8.5/index.html
No, but how do you install a browser when you don't have one that will access the internet. Taking another browser is fine when you have IE 6.0 in the first place. When it is all screwed up, what can I do other than reinstall the bloody operating sytem? I thought all these gadgets were meant to save people's time!

I thought Microsoft were listening. From where I am sat, they must be listening to Acid House!

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 24th May 2006 at 11:04 AM..
Old 24th May 2006, 11:03 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

OS X. Default browser. IDN Support since 2004.
— Uninstalling an app? Drag one file to the trash.

Dual boot Windows NT.

Tripple boot Linux.

No Bill.

http://www.apple.com/getamac/ads/

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 24th May 2006 at 11:05 AM..
Old 24th May 2006, 11:37 AM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
I have installed the Public Beta 2 on my machines, but Lenka cannot get to her bank account in CZ, as it doesn't support IE 7.0.

So I tried to uninstall it on my other machine, but even the Public Beta seems to be unable to perform this basic essential task of any Beta. What was the Chief Software Architects name again. Yes, the Arsehole with the glasses.

Anyway, failing that I restored the system to before the IE 7.0 installation. No joy. I get Google.co.uk which is the home page and nothing else. I don't have Firefox on this machine, so I seem to be completely knackered. Is there any reasonable way I can get a browser to be able to access the internet from this machine.

What a dumb f*ck idea, it is to incorporate the browser into the operating system, especially one as flakey as Windows. If Bill, yes thats the guy, thinks I want this sh*t on my mobile phone as well, he is seriously deluded!
I haven't used IE "seriously" for about 5 years, and that's on a PC all that time. Opera is a fine browser and small download. Any reason why you can't download that? It won't screw up your PC like IE does ...
Old 24th May 2006, 11:55 AM

mulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enough

Duck, if you have your XP or whatever windows installation disk fire it up. (Or borrow one)

My computer --> Right Click on the drive your disk is in --> Explore

Will give you a list of files on the disk. Hunt around and you should find IE6 on there somewhere.

Reinstall
Old 24th May 2006, 12:04 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

RD: check your email
Old 24th May 2006, 12:10 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Lenka cannot get to her bank account in CZ, as it doesn't support IE 7.0.
Because the site does a check to see which browser you are using? Or it simply does not work?
Old 24th May 2006, 12:35 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast
Because the site does a check to see which browser you are using? Or it simply does not work?
It hangs when you try to enter the account. It use a floppy disk routine as a dongle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru
I haven't used IE "seriously" for about 5 years, and that's on a PC all that time. Opera is a fine browser and small download. Any reason why you can't download that? It won't screw up your PC like IE does ...
Yes, but when you are left with no browser, how do you install one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale
RD: check your email
Thanks but it refuses to go there as it finds something newer on the system and just kicks off!

Thanks for listening Bill. And then having a bloody good laugh at my expense!

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 24th May 2006 at 12:40 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 24th May 2006, 12:40 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

Uninstalling

To uninstall IE 7 beta 2 again, I followed the instructions from the IE Blog (Q 6).

Go to the Add/Remove Programs control panel, be sure to check 'Show updates', and the IE 7 beta will appear as the final Windows update.

Uninstall it by clicking on it, then on the button. Again you see a few messages that your settings are being changed, and eventually you have to restart your computer. When that's done you have your old IE 6 back.
Old 24th May 2006, 12:42 PM

mulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enough

To uninstall Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 and return to Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
Click “Start,” and then click “Control Panel.”
Click “Add or Remove Programs.”
Check “Show Updates” at the top of the dialog box. (If you are running Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 Preview - March 20, or a newer version of IE7, this step is not necessary.)
Scroll down the list to “Windows XP – Software Updates,” select “Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 Preview,” and then click "Change/Remove."
If "Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2" does not exist, run %windir%\$NtUninstallie7bet2p$\spuninst\spuninst.exe. (To do this, you need to have "view hidden folders" enabled.)
Old 24th May 2006, 12:51 PM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
It hangs when you try to enter the account. It use a floppy disk routine as a dongle.

Yes, but when you are left with no browser, how do you install one?

Thanks but it refuses to go there as it finds something newer on the system and just kicks off!

Thanks for listening Bill. And then having a bloody good laugh at my expense!
Sorry, you've got me confused. How are you accessing this forum without a browser?
Old 24th May 2006, 12:57 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Sorry, you've got me confused. How are you accessing this forum without a browser?
On another machine!
Old 24th May 2006, 01:02 PM

Quote:
On another machine!
Ah that explains it. So the machines aren't networked or anything? Can't you download Opera on the good machine, email it, and pick it up on the 2nd machine?

Lee
Old 24th May 2006, 01:58 PM

Giant is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Ah that explains it. So the machines aren't networked or anything? Can't you download Opera on the good machine, email it, and pick it up on the 2nd machine?

Lee
Yes, this is the simplest way to do it. Just download Opera or Firefox and then transfer it to that machine and click to install.

Dot Com is King. IDN.com will soon be king.
@
Old 24th May 2006, 02:02 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant
Yes, this is the simplest way to do it. Just download Opera or Firefox and then transfer it to that machine and click to install.
Yes, I am working on that. I tried putting operating system back to earlier date and I am now trying to reverse that. Now everything is going really slowly but installing Firefox or Opera by simply taking a copy of the file from my machine looks easy enough.

This has really pissed me off big time. I swear I will buy a Mac next time around!

Thanks Mulligan for suggestions but there did not seem to be any other Updates to remove. I think the problem is that the latest IE 6.0 checks for Service Pack 1 but throws its dummy out when it sees Service Pack Microsoft are just too clever for their own bloody boots. Why we just can't have a stand alone browser that just bloody works is beyond me!

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 24th May 2006 at 02:05 PM..
Old 24th May 2006, 02:18 PM

Giant is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Yes, I am working on that. I tried putting operating system back to earlier date and I am now trying to reverse that. Now everything is going really slowly but installing Firefox or Opera by simply taking a copy of the file from my machine looks easy enough.

This has really pissed me off big time. I swear I will buy a Mac next time around!

Thanks Mulligan for suggestions but there did not seem to be any other Updates to remove. I think the problem is that the latest IE 6.0 checks for Service Pack 1 but throws its dummy out when it sees Service Pack Microsoft are just too clever for their own bloody boots. Why we just can't have a stand alone browser that just bloody works is beyond me!
If you have problem with IE6 or IE7 and you can't fix it, there is a very simple solution too. Just delete the whole Internet Explorer folder in the Program Files directory, and then reinstall.

Dot Com is King. IDN.com will soon be king.
@
Old 24th May 2006, 04:37 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant
If you have problem with IE6 or IE7 and you can't fix it, there is a very simple solution too. Just delete the whole Internet Explorer folder in the Program Files directory, and then reinstall.
Thanks I might have a go at that later. I have got firefox working so that will do for now. I think there might be a problem installing the latest version of IE 6.0 over Service Pack 2.

Bill was in the game of predicting the future the other day. Well, this is my prediction for him. Within ten years there will be two computers systems with different architectures made in India and China. Everyone from the US will be moaning because of delays in getting English updates of the latest software, but we will still buy them because they will be all singing, all dancing and seemlessly reliable, not to mention very cheap. There will be problems in the West because we will have two competing incompatible system in use, but the Chinese and the Indians will get huge benefits from each have just one system each for the whole country!

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 24th May 2006 at 04:46 PM..
Old 24th May 2006, 04:53 PM

OldIDNer is an unknown quantity at this point

To uninstall the IE7 betas:

start->control panel->add remove programs->at the top check "show updates" radio box->scroll down in the list->you will see IE7 listed, uninstall that, restart and you are on IE6
Old 24th May 2006, 04:58 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldIDNer
To uninstall the IE7 betas:

start->control panel->add remove programs->at the top check "show updates" radio box->scroll down in the list->you will see IE7 listed, uninstall that, restart and you are on IE6
Well I basically did that although I did not do the Show Updates, but when I checked there weren't any. Yes, I did get IE 6.0 and I could get Google on my home page and it was able to search. What I didn't get was access to any of the other sites on the Internet. Google is great for find other sites, but a bit pointless if you cannot actually go to them.