View Single Post
Old 5th July 2006, 07:11 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: Extensions, Type-ins, Value

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
Well, I'm just considering all the possibilities - afterall, it took them 5 years to finish "introducing" xn-- prefixed domains - the smartest act ICANN has done for IDNs the past 6 years, as Giant has put it.

But, I also do not discount the end of year timeline that everyone here is talking about.
The US is simply deluding itself over how much authority it actually has. Registries are just lists and Root Servers largely belong to Verisign I guess, but if individual government wanted to they could requisition anything based on their soveriegn soil in the interests of national security. The US is in danger of splitting the Root and will most probably end up alone on the other side of the fence until something gets sorted out. All that would happen is the www. would get replaced with other strings and take you to different zones depending where you were. Most people would just you the default, but you could probably still access the entire internet if you knew which strings to input.

At the end of the day Verisign would protect its own interests which may not be aligned with those of the US Government or ICANN.

If you think Bush has done a good job up until now, well you have no concept of how stupid he would need to be to depart down this particular road. You might as well put Donald Duck in the White House.

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru
I have never understood why "ctrl + enter" functionality is important. Does anyone have any stats for how widely used it is? Because I never use it myself. Why would Internet "newbies" use it when the results are unpredicatable?
Frankly, it is only a small group of Internet Officianados that actually know about this option, if that is what it is. It has no commericial significance whatsoever.

Extensionless query redirection is a separate and much more important subject.

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 5th July 2006 at 07:16 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost