View Single Post
Old 5th July 2006, 08:24 AM

Giant is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Extensions, Type-ins, Value

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru
I have never understood why "ctrl + enter" functionality is important. Does anyone have any stats for how widely used it is? Because I never use it myself. Why would Internet "newbies" use it when the results are unpredicatable?
I was interested in this question 3 years ago when I tried to decide whether I should reg some ASCII.cn and IDN.cn domains when they were first introduced in 2003. Here's what I found:

-The Chinese tend to use Ctrl + Enter feature more compare to English speakers, maybe because they are not good typers as English speakers.

-In 2002, I got a copy of Chinese Windows 2000, and I believe most computer users in China used the same copy. The IE came with this Windows would send you to .com.cn by default after Ctrl + Enter. I tried to make some changes in the registry so that I could go to .com instead, but failed. The only way I succeeded doing it is deleted the whole IE and its folder and then downloaded and installed a fresh IE. It's fair to say very few users knew how to do this.

-In 2003 - 04 - 05, I noticed that .cn domains had very little traffic but .com.cn had a lot. Also, my IDNs.com were getting more and more traffic because new Windows like XP and 2003 are .com by default with Ctrl + Enter feature.

Before Mar. 1st this year, most Chinese traffic go to .com.cn, quite a few go to .com, but very few go to .cn.

My conclusion: Ctrl + Enter was being used quite frequently. If most Chinese users are typing .com.cn like English users do, then we should see traffic to .cn too.

Dot Com is King. IDN.com will soon be king.
@