IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > New gTLDs

New gTLDs IDN or ascii, use this forum to discuss the new gTLDs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th June 2012, 06:04 PM

JamesD is an unknown quantity at this pointJamesD is an unknown quantity at this pointJamesD is an unknown quantity at this pointJamesD is an unknown quantity at this point
Frank Schilling quote

"Frank is quoted as saying about the new gTLD’s:"

Quote:
“This is absolutely the future”

“We’re at this point where the dot-com name space — the entire name space — is exhausted.”

People have been saying that for years. Given there are only circa 1m IDNs registered and all the non Latin languages to choose from, why do they continue to ignore IDNs?

I'm not complaining - I'm late to the party myself - but have been pleasantly suprised that productive names are still to be had, which may not have been the case had they been interested. Just seems odd that some are willing to spend vast sums on new gTLDs whilst ignoring current opportunities.

* Source

Last edited by JamesD; 12th June 2012 at 06:04 PM..
Old 12th June 2012, 06:36 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough
Re: Frank Schilling quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesD View Post
People have been saying that for years. Given there are only circa 1m IDNs registered and all the non Latin languages to choose from, why do they continue to ignore IDNs?
I guess these are the "real" IDNs people have been talking about for the last 10 years. :p

While they ignore idn.com. Go figure....
Old 12th June 2012, 06:59 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Frank-ly certain intellects were exhausted a while back!
Old 12th June 2012, 07:01 PM

blackpower will become famous soon enoughblackpower will become famous soon enoughblackpower will become famous soon enoughblackpower will become famous soon enoughblackpower will become famous soon enoughblackpower will become famous soon enoughblackpower will become famous soon enoughblackpower will become famous soon enough

FS overgrew .com domaining obviously
he has to be on the move to be on top of his game. I don't think he himself believes these new extentions will be a big success (at least anytime soon).
Old 12th June 2012, 07:13 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

GOOGLE to the rescue!!!!!!!!!!!

They heard about the shortage of .com and changed the algorhythm to allow all kinds of creative and fantastic new "dash" domains.

http://fragerfactor.com/
Old 12th June 2012, 07:50 PM

JamesD is an unknown quantity at this pointJamesD is an unknown quantity at this pointJamesD is an unknown quantity at this pointJamesD is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpower View Post
FS overgrew .com domaining obviously
he has to be on the move to be on top of his game. I don't think he himself believes these new extentions will be a big success (at least anytime soon).
He's spending a lot of money on them so he must think he'll be getting it back.
Old 12th June 2012, 08:00 PM

tee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enough

pump n dump --- then see what sticks.

He is not just a domainer but will be the registrar so he wins if only one of his new gltds sticks. I think its a good move on his part, test the waters, use his influence, market the hell out of them, if they all fail oh well we tried, if one makes it, it was a successful venture. At least he is stepping up to the plate, personally I think he should have stepped up a few years back and grabbed a nice portfolio of IDNs, then again maybe he did?

I am anxiously awaiting the market schemes employed, do they(all the new gltds) follow the marketing plans of .xxx, .tv, .biz, .asia, .mobi, .co,. me, .pro, .info ect. or will they come up with something original that will work.

Last edited by tee1; 12th June 2012 at 08:03 PM..
Old 12th June 2012, 08:39 PM

A lot of people are going to make a LOT of money (at the expense of others) regardless of how these .anythings turn out.

If not sure how any but a fraction of the 2500 new .anythings are going to fare better than .biz (business), .tv (television), mobi (mobile), .xxx, .me, .info etc etc.

Personally I think the .geos have the best chance from the herd.
Old 12th June 2012, 09:05 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc View Post
If not sure how any but a fraction of the 2500 new .anythings are going to fare better than .biz (business), .tv (television), mobi (mobile), .xxx, .me, .info etc etc.

Personally I think the .geos have the best chance from the herd.
as was mentioned on a blog I read somewhere earlier, the definition of success means many things to many people. Will they be a .com, err nope? Will they make the registry money? all the extns you listed above make money.. even the epic fail .mobi has a million regs under its belt - so it turns a profit - who cares if you're not the biggest or the best, if it brings in the bacon
Old 12th June 2012, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha View Post
as was mentioned on a blog I read somewhere earlier, the definition of success means many things to many people.
"Nothing in life has any meaning besides the meaning we give it.
How do we create meaning? In many cases we are programmed by our
culture and the people around us. The truth is that all meaning is
subjective. Some of us are taught that having designer clothes, a
perfect body and having a lot of money is the true meaning of
success. In other cultures having a loin cloth, a lip plate, long
earlobes and living off the land is the true meaning of success."

Source: Dr Robert Anthony

If pushed, I'd say I'm definately in the first camp
Old 12th June 2012, 10:49 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tee1 View Post
At least he is stepping up to the plate, personally I think he should have stepped up a few years back and grabbed a nice portfolio of IDNs, then again maybe he did?
Frank has some IDN's.
Old 13th June 2012, 12:50 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha View Post
who cares if you're not the biggest or the best, if it brings in the bacon
Bacon is for beta males. Alphas bring in alfalfa sprouts.

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 13th June 2012 at 12:50 AM..