View Single Post
Old 5th July 2006, 10:08 AM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about
Re: Extensions, Type-ins, Value

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant
I was interested in this question 3 years ago when I tried to decide whether I should reg some ASCII.cn and IDN.cn domains when they were first introduced in 2003. Here's what I found:

-The Chinese tend to use Ctrl + Enter feature more compare to English speakers, maybe because they are not good typers as English speakers.

-In 2002, I got a copy of Chinese Windows 2000, and I believe most computer users in China used the same copy. The IE came with this Windows would send you to .com.cn by default after Ctrl + Enter. I tried to make some changes in the registry so that I could go to .com instead, but failed. The only way I succeeded doing it is deleted the whole IE and its folder and then downloaded and installed a fresh IE. It's fair to say very few users knew how to do this.

-In 2003 - 04 - 05, I noticed that .cn domains had very little traffic but .com.cn had a lot. Also, my IDNs.com were getting more and more traffic because new Windows like XP and 2003 are .com by default with Ctrl + Enter feature.

Before Mar. 1st this year, most Chinese traffic go to .com.cn, quite a few go to .com, but very few go to .cn.

My conclusion: Ctrl + Enter was being used quite frequently. If most Chinese users are typing .com.cn like English users do, then we should see traffic to .cn too.
Interesting, but are you actually saying you *know* Chinese people use Ctrl-Enter frequently, or just your research suggest that is likely? Because there is always more than one explanation for everything

Seems strange to me anyone would type an ASCII domain name, and then have "difficulty" typing .com ... surely that is the easy part?

Also, even if it is true that the Chinese use Ctrl-Enter, it sounds like a Chinese-only
thing to me. I've never seen a Thai use Ctrl-Enter, and like others, I had never even heard of this "shortcut" until I came to this forum.