IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > New gTLDs

New gTLDs IDN or ascii, use this forum to discuss the new gTLDs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th June 2012, 09:31 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough
"Honey, I screwed up on my $185,000 gTLD application"

From the what's making news crew at Domain Name Wire.
Link below:

http://domainnamewire.com/

Honey, I screwed up on my $185,000 new TLD application
Friday, June 15th, 2012

Several new top level domain applicants make errors in their applications — including a misspelling of the word “logistics”. I’ve found three instances of typo’s or errors in new top level domain applicants’ strings. I’ve reached out to ICANN to find out if the applicants will be afforded an opportunity to fix these errors as I can’t find anything in the guidebook about it. Logic would say yes in the case of an uncontested string.

One obvious typo comes courtesy of Kerry Trading Company. One of the six strings it applied for was .KerryLogisitics. Notice the extra ‘i’ in what is supposed to be .KerryLogistics. The company also applied for .kerryhotels and .kerryproperties. I’m surprised by the lack of application for simply .kerry, unless they expected objections.

There’s also an application for .dotafrica, while the application suggests the goal was to apply for .africa. (And I sure hope that was the intention.) That one could be interesting because there’s already lots of bad blood between the two applicants for the string.

Finally, at least two internationalized domain name followers have informed be they believe there’s an error in VeriSign’s application for the Hebrew transliteration of .com. VeriSign has not responded to requests for comment on the matter other than to say it’s looking in to it.

more at link.......

Last edited by bwhhisc; 15th June 2012 at 09:32 PM..
Old 15th June 2012, 09:36 PM

Jay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enough
Re: "Honey, I screwed up on my $185,000 gTLD application"

That's what happens when you leave your gTLD application to the work experience kid.
Old 16th June 2012, 12:42 AM
ком.ком コム.コム

555 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc View Post
error in VeriSign’s application for the Hebrew transliteration of .com
To better try and explain this, i checked what is necessary to type that one center letter with the dot and these are the steps:

If the dot would not be there then to type קום, three letter/character word would take three single keystrokes).

To type that one dot (וֹ) it is necessary to:

1. Type the letter ו (Same but no dot)
2. Change to CAPS
3. Press SHIFT
4. Press a key that corresponds to that specific dot (a number key but not always, depending which of the many Hebrew orthography a user wants to type).

Completely worthless and around 99.99% of users would have no idea how to type it at all.
Old 16th June 2012, 12:52 AM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 555 View Post
To better try and explain this, i checked what is necessary to type that one center letter with the dot and these are the steps:

If the dot would not be there then to type קום, three letter/character word would take three single keystrokes).

2. Change to CAPS
3. Press SHIFT
4. Press a key that corresponds to that specific dot (a number key but not always, depending which of the many Hebrew orthography a user wants to type).

Completely worthless and around 99.99% of users would have no idea how to type it at all.
I'm still at a loss. How can you do this? Was everyone sitting in Gomes' office sniffing glue when they filled out the apps?
Old 16th June 2012, 12:58 AM

TrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished road

Quote:

2. Change to CAPS
3. Press SHIFT

Hopefully you already communicated this to Verisign. I think they owe you the consulting fee and should retain your service going forward.
Old 16th June 2012, 01:01 AM
ком.ком コム.コム

555 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcle View Post
I'm still at a loss. How can you do this? Was everyone sitting in Gomes' office sniffing glue when they filled out the apps?
If you do a CTRL+F on the Hebrew letter 'vav'(ו) without the dot and somewhere on the page there's this letter with the dot it will highlight it as the letter is identical and it doesn't even differinciate from with or without that dot which possibly helped the confusion if someone not native copy/pasted this from somewhere.

I wouldn't worry about it as there's no reason why it won't be corrected.
Old 16th June 2012, 01:20 AM

sbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enough

they did not consult an Israeli at all, that is for sure.

I think a non Hebrew speaking person, did a cut and paste from Googe Translate or some online text and just put it in the boilerplate.

as bugs bunny would say....'what a maroon...'
Old 16th June 2012, 01:38 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Article link is: http://domainnamewire.com/2012/06/15...d-application/
Old 16th June 2012, 02:00 AM

chrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished road

wow
Quote:

2. Change to CAPS
3. Press SHIFT

wow didn't think it would be that difficult. but i would think that this would be corrected.
Old 16th June 2012, 02:09 AM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

Quote:

2. Change to CAPS
3. Press SHIFT

ctrl+c, ctrl+v is so much easier. Maybe verisign assumed the natives would be doing that
Old 16th June 2012, 11:52 AM

bumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha View Post
ctrl+c, ctrl+v
That's what they should have done. The only skill required for IDNing. They failed.