IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th June 2012, 07:44 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

555 has disabled reputation
ICANN Beijing - April 7 to 12 ,2013

I believe that this is when/by then we will see IDN Transliterations of existing gTLD's in the root. http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-574...r-2013-confab/
Old 27th June 2012, 08:23 PM

chrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished road
Re: ICANN Beijing - April 7 to 12 ,2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by 555 View Post
I believe that this is when/by then we will see IDN Transliterations of existing gTLD's in the root. http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-574...r-2013-confab/
i hope your right, but i am not that optimistic
Old 27th June 2012, 08:29 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

555 has disabled reputation

I am not sure what kind of delay is still possible at the current point specifically for non controversial strings that the only one who applied for them is the existing registry.

Before the 13th of June plenty of things could lead to a delay but no so much after imo.

On the same note you are right and if anyone cares about that several including myself on this forum gave optimistic predictions when it comes to timing.

It's good the only missing piece of the puzzle is now timing, 6-10 years ago it was not even looking like a puzzle.
Old 27th June 2012, 08:37 PM

DktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I am not sure what kind of delay is still possible at the current point specifically for non controversial strings that the only one who applied for them is the existing registry.

Before the 13th of June plenty of things could lead to a delay but no so much after imo.
looks like all the pieces are falling in the right place. even the death of batching seems to be a good thing. gonna be a quick task from now on imo.
Old 28th June 2012, 01:01 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

The Guidebook is the main document to check.

http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/applica...04jun12-en.pdf

It states straightforward application will take 9 months, with complicated ones stretching out to 20 months. Page 1-15 onwards.

ALthough GAC have warned that they might take more time than ICANN allowed for for posting early warnings, etc, so they may be the spanner in the works.

But as GAC can make their own rules regarding which applications they deem more urgent, I think they might look at IDN and GEO applications before trademark ones, and send an early communication to ICANN that certain applications have been cleared by GAC and may proceed to the next step.
Old 28th June 2012, 06:19 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

On the same note you are right and if anyone cares about that several including myself on this forum gave optimistic predictions when it comes to timing.

It's good the only missing piece of the puzzle is now timing, 6-10 years ago it was not even looking like a puzzle.
Dog ate their homework?

Don't underestimate these guys. They can be very creative!
Old 28th June 2012, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Yeah but $10 says they try to get some IDN newGTLD's into the root just before or at the Beijing meeting.