IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Talk > Special Character IDN Domains

Special Character IDN Domains Discuss novelty IDN Domains, Special Character Domains & Digbat Domains.. This is only for IDN Domains that can be typed with the same character set or single character dingbat domains. We do not allow IDN domains that look like an existing domain & may be used for IDN spoofing or IDN domain phishing.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st July 2012, 07:14 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough
Microsoft software blocks Symbol Domains

IE9 apparently has built in IDNA2008 support and blocks such domains upon entry. Won't even work if punycode is entered.

Details here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/michkap/arch.../10273315.aspx
Old 31st July 2012, 03:18 PM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about
re: Microsoft software blocks Symbol Domains

Some of us have been warning symbol domain owners for about 5 years now. This shouldn't be a shock.... but I'm sure it will be to those out there with HISS (head-in-sand syndrome)
Old 31st July 2012, 06:33 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru View Post
Some of us have been warning symbol domain owners for about 5 years now. This shouldn't be a shock.... but I'm sure it will be to those out there with HISS (head-in-sand syndrome)
like that dude who was trying to sell the pound symbol, or that guy who regged a shitload of them - they wouldn't listen - i wonder whether they will turn up here again and eat their humble pie.. of course not, they just disappear
Old 1st August 2012, 10:44 AM

Ryu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha View Post
i wonder whether they will turn up here again and eat their humble pie.. of course not, they just disappear
If they ever turn up again, it would be to make a last ditch attempt to sell off their domains before they become absolutely useless.

BTW, could someone kindly remind me what was the problem with IE6? Was it able to load an IDN page with punycode? What would happen if you google something on IE6 and click on IDN links in the SERP?
Old 1st August 2012, 03:58 PM

IDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to IDNer

Well, I'm the Symbol IDN lover -

Domain name investment just like a game, some people win, some people lose.

Probably I lost a lot of money to collect those symbols, it is hurt, but I can afford it.

If you enjoy your game, that's fine
if you don't like it, just leave it.
Don't be too serious.

Never mind ~

Last edited by IDNer; 1st August 2012 at 04:21 PM..
Old 1st August 2012, 11:04 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

I think symbol domains are a great idea. That's why I tried to get as many as I could. Most of them, however, I dropped on learning of IDNA2008.

Symbols which carry deep meaning are especially important internationally, since unlike languages, they can be trully universally understood. In this, they rival any and all English languagea ascii domains.

The decision on the part of ICANN to exclude this part of the Unicode repertior of characters from domain names is wrong minded and seeks to protect "entrenched language communities" rather than moving forward.

I'd much rather register ☎.com than have to register 100 different "telephone" domains in different languages. This example, by the way, is typable in Japanese, just like the characters for 電話 are.

You can have an extended conversation with someone in Emoji and not speak their language, and Emoji, by the way, can be typed without knowing any language at all, and is available on most phones these days.

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 1st August 2012 at 11:06 PM..
Old 2nd August 2012, 02:57 AM

IDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enough

[Symbols which carry deep meaning are especially important internationally, since unlike languages, they can be truely universally understood.] - What a representative & typical sentence, excellent!

Some people register the symbol IDNs when the door is open.

Few years later, IDNA close the door (for registration) and then kill the symbol IDNs another few years later...
Old 2nd August 2012, 04:38 AM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast View Post
I think symbol domains are a great idea. That's why I tried to get as many as I could. Most of them, however, I dropped on learning of IDNA2008.

Symbols which carry deep meaning are especially important internationally, since unlike languages, they can be trully universally understood. In this, they rival any and all English languagea ascii domains.

The decision on the part of ICANN to exclude this part of the Unicode repertior of characters from domain names is wrong minded and seeks to protect "entrenched language communities" rather than moving forward.

I'd much rather register ☎.com than have to register 100 different "telephone" domains in different languages. This example, by the way, is typable in Japanese, just like the characters for 電話 are.

You can have an extended conversation with someone in Emoji and not speak their language, and Emoji, by the way, can be typed without knowing any language at all, and is available on most phones these days.
Might be good to learn something about the subject before launching such a long plea .... ICANN had nothing to do with the "decision".
Old 2nd August 2012, 05:11 AM

I don't want to argue with anybody, but I'd like to say that -

Symbol itself have nothing wrong with the internet either.
Symbol itself have nothing wrong with the domain name either.
Symbol itself had nothing to do with the "decision" either

Try to prevent the Internet crimes, that's fine
but the human being not all are the criminal !
Old 2nd August 2012, 05:40 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Might be good to learn something about the subject before launching such a long plea .... ICANN had nothing to do with the "decision".
Who did?

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 2nd August 2012 at 05:41 AM..
Old 2nd August 2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast View Post
Who did?
Its all in the IDNF archives since 2006, its not like I only mentioned it once...

Do some googling on "IDNA IETF", its all publicly available.
Old 2nd August 2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDNer View Post
I don't want to argue with anybody, but I'd like to say that -

Symbol itself have nothing wrong with the internet either.
Symbol itself have nothing wrong with the domain name either.
Symbol itself had nothing to do with the "decision" either

Try to prevent the Internet crimes, that's fine
but the human being not all are the criminal !
It was decided many moons ago by the IETF to change from a system based on "exclude specific Unicode codepoints" to an "include specific Unicode codepoints" system.

If you want to know why they made this decision (in 2001 or 2002 or whatever it was, so long ago now I forget), all their discussions are available on their totally public mailing lists. The discussion are lengthy, often boring, and sometimes quite involved.

But the bottom line is symbol domains have been history since the day this forum opened. And yet seven years later people still seem amazed or confused as to who made the decision or just plain annoyed that its happened.

Time to move on bro, fry other fish. Seven years should be enough time to get over a dead duck.
Old 2nd August 2012, 09:21 PM
Veteran

And this IETF has nothing to do with ICANN? They are all the same to me.

Quote:
But the bottom line is symbol domains have been history since the day this forum opened. And yet seven years later people still seem amazed or confused as to who made the decision or just plain annoyed that its happened.
When the decision was made has no bearing on the fact that it was a bad one.

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 2nd August 2012 at 09:26 PM..
Old 3rd August 2012, 03:06 AM
Veteran

PS: We had this discussion back in 2006. http://www.idnforums.com/forums/2263...er-threat.html