IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th September 2012, 08:27 PM

monkmonkey is on a distinguished roadmonkmonkey is on a distinguished roadmonkmonkey is on a distinguished roadmonkmonkey is on a distinguished roadmonkmonkey is on a distinguished roadmonkmonkey is on a distinguished road
Junk IDNs

I would like to get some insightful opinions of what defines a "junk" IDN domain. People often use the word "junk" on this forum.
"I love it when a plan comes together"John "Hannibal" Smith
"The only person who could take down J.R was J.R." -John Ross

"Larry Hagman is now God"- Me
Old 10th September 2012, 08:34 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: Junk IDNs

Same as Junk Bonds.

Below investment grade.
Old 10th September 2012, 08:36 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

Take an English word, stick it in Google translate, translate to Chinese, then register that in .com
Old 10th September 2012, 08:40 PM
Semi-retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkmonkey View Post
I would like to get some insightful opinions of what defines a "junk" IDN domain. People often use the word "junk" on this forum.
Its also a personal opinion. I dropped dozens of domains over the last few months, and keep seeing them come up for auction here - sometimes they'll reach $30+
But I dropped them on purpose, and I'd still call them junk.
Old 10th September 2012, 08:44 PM

squirrel is a name known to all
squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha View Post
Take an English word, stick it in Google translate, translate to Chinese, then register that in .com
How many did he register like that ? Surely it was more than 1K , no ?
Old 10th September 2012, 08:51 PM

monkmonkey is on a distinguished roadmonkmonkey is on a distinguished roadmonkmonkey is on a distinguished roadmonkmonkey is on a distinguished roadmonkmonkey is on a distinguished roadmonkmonkey is on a distinguished road

Can it be defined with stats and numbers? Exact searches ect...

Old 10th September 2012, 08:56 PM
Semi-retired

Quote:
Can it be defined with stats and numbers? Exact searches ect...
Yes, but not really practical, that number would differ by genre by language.

My 1st criteria of junk is that it is not prime, i.e. there is a more popular way (with better stats) to say the same thing.
Old 10th September 2012, 09:00 PM

Emil is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
depends on your horizon for IDN progress

- if you think IDNs will reach thier potential in the next 10+ years, then most likely 99% at least of the registered IDNs are junk, in the sense that reg fees accumulated arent worth the efforts as patience will run low
- if you think IDNs will get to at least 25-50% of the potential in the less than 5 years, then a lot of IDNs that sell here for $30 will be worth at least that $30+ reg fees for next 5 years and then some.

if i am truthful to myself, i know 99% of my portfolio is junk, but if IDNs will make it, then that 1% remaining will hopefully make it worth while.
Old 10th September 2012, 09:09 PM

Could someone pm me examples of "junk" Idns so I can analyze these domains myself and conclude my own opinion. I would appreciate it.

Old 10th September 2012, 09:29 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emil View Post

if i am truthful to myself, i know 99% of my portfolio is junk, but if IDNs will make it, then that 1% remaining will hopefully make it worth while.
About 10% of ours are proven investmeNt grade.

I would expect that figure to move to 90% plus over the next couple of years, but most of the value will be in the top ten percent.

However, some that are yielding nothing now may feature in that top decile.
Old 10th September 2012, 09:58 PM

tee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enough

wow, thats a loaded question. whats junk to one is not to another. I think most would agree, something like séx or gamé where all I did was add an accented é to an english word is junk. they might actually be a word in some language but I don't think they get much love statistically ...so junk.

Also, what alpha might call junk in a Japanese dot com I wouldn't. I think many here sometimes forget ok maybe just me that most....90%+ of the good names dropped were dropped for a reason (:

To some she is a fat girl to others a hot plus size model

Last edited by tee1; 10th September 2012 at 10:08 PM..
Old 10th September 2012, 10:15 PM

Ok, so the censuses would be that "junk" is a matter of opinion. It may or may not be junk unless its an obvious mixed language as tee1 pointed out. Thanks

Old 11th September 2012, 02:01 AM

sbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enough

Junk is based on personal reasons for not buying , and then potential reasons for not renewing.

example: individual letter or individual script character IDN's

( disclosure..... I don't own any...)

some are or will be junk....who knows ? maybe they can be brands ?

the problem with 'junk' is the opinion can be based on traffic, search traffic,
keyword value, business use, or potential stand alone business itself with the name.

overstock.com dropping use of 'o.co' is pertinent of course.

I think that the junk of German 3 word IDN domains with 2 hyphens is not really junk to a native German speaker.
But they are definitely junk to an ASCII only domainer.

remember the Aristotle grid:

you can know what you know.
you can know what you don't know
you can not know what you know.
you can not know what don't know.

the 2x2 knowledge grid.

we all have registered junk from all 4 positions.

Jeff Bezos called his online bookstore 'amazon' for the reason that he wanted an
A name to be ahead of Borders and Barnes/Noble on the Yahoo directory page....

back in the day of 75 dollar per year Network Solutions fees...
Old 11th September 2012, 02:18 AM

squirrel is a name known to all
squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all

Quote:
Ok, so the censuses would be that "junk" is a matter of opinion. It may or may not be junk unless its an obvious mixed language as tee1 pointed out. Thanks
No, there are universal junk as well

Words that do not stand alone are junk for everyone, at best if they bring traffic they are to be treated like typos.

Archaic words are junk.

Domains that cannot be typed for whatever reason, such as domains using old code points, are junk.

Domains unsupported by IDNA2008 are junk. As such most symbol domains are junk.
Old 11th September 2012, 02:34 AM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to thegenius1

If Deviled Eggs can fetch 50k with just a Adsense site it's fair to say that some peoples junk is other peoples treasure.

Last edited by thegenius1; 11th September 2012 at 02:39 AM..
Old 11th September 2012, 02:43 AM

Location: Global Headquarters of the Dot Net Skepticism Alliance
idn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished road

This could possibly be the most ridiculous thread I've ever seen on the forum. Damn we are bored.
Old 11th September 2012, 06:26 AM

123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegenius1 View Post
If Deviled Eggs can fetch 50k with just a Adsense site it's fair to say that some peoples junk is other peoples treasure.
wasn't this sale based on adsense income from seo?

as for junk: IMO symbol and phishing domains are clearly junk.

for the rest. It's hard to say IMO. In today's english ascii market generic domains can sell for a lot of money even if they are of questionable quality.

If one would have registered a lot of this left junk in 2002 you may have made a lot of money. If you look at the names that schilling owns i think you see a lot of "junk" if we compare the names with what we are selling here on the forum. I think that his strategy was to buy names that no one would buy at this time because they were lower quality names.

So buying tens of thousand junk names was very profitable at least in ascii. Schilling earned far more than many of the people who got in earlier and would focus only on high quality domains.

When such junk names drop today dozens people are fighting to get them and often pay thousands or more for them. Yesterday's junk is considered "premium" today.

IDN Junk names have far higher risk because in the end because you don't know how strong a particular IDN market will become within a certain timeframe. If you own a premium name you are far more likely to sell it earlier and far more likely to resell it to another speculator. Unless you overpay for it you are less likely to lose your money.

I wouldn't recommend it but if you pay $100 for 10 year renewal fees in advance and eventually sell the name for $1000 a piece you would still make money.
Old 11th September 2012, 10:04 AM

bumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
No, there are universal junk as well

Words that do not stand alone are junk for everyone, at best if they bring traffic they are to be treated like typos.

Archaic words are junk.

Domains that cannot be typed for whatever reason, such as domains using old code points, are junk.

Domains unsupported by IDNA2008 are junk. As such most symbol domains are junk.
@monkmonkey

Examples:

phishing

symbol

non stand-alone

plain junk

Last edited by bumblebee man; 11th September 2012 at 10:05 AM..
Old 11th September 2012, 12:01 PM

markits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enough

no traffic?
Old 11th September 2012, 03:04 PM

sunsei21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to sunsei21 Send a message via Skype™ to sunsei21

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegenius1 View Post
not a domain sale the site was at the top of the first page on Google for the term , and based on revenue and i i would not have called it junk if it was a domain by itself honestly

Quote:
Originally Posted by idn View Post
This could possibly be the most ridiculous thread I've ever seen on the forum. Damn we are bored.
i agree