IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th September 2012, 02:58 PM

squirrel is a name known to all
squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all
Question

What's the general sentiment in domenforum and other places on IDN.org vs IDN.com ?

I tried to read through some of the threads on domenforum a while back and I felt most people felt strongly about cyrillic.org but were not really excited about .com ? Is every Russian domainer feeling that way, and is it a strong feeling or simply a temporary comfortable stance that they take because they missed on IDN.com ?

Thanks
Old 28th September 2012, 03:22 PM

blackpower will become famous soon enoughblackpower will become famous soon enoughblackpower will become famous soon enoughblackpower will become famous soon enoughblackpower will become famous soon enoughblackpower will become famous soon enoughblackpower will become famous soon enoughblackpower will become famous soon enough
Re: Question

I can tell you how I feel about it.
.org will be popular for couple of reasons
1) it is being used more often on russian internet.
2) most .com sites in russian internet are used by foreign companies. I am not aware of any sizeable russian company using .com for main site( or there are a negligible number of them)- and this is a real issue.
.org has meaning in russian (organization) and russians don't have a dominant extention (like .com in USl)besides .ru, but .ru has limitations.
.rf I don't consider a competitor; this extention never really became an extention of choice (at least it failed so far in this sense)
So, com and .org, once go cyrillic, will be popular. Which one is better?
For big portals, like fashion, entertainment and the like, .com will be better but for company names and directories it will be .org imho.
I still prefer to put site on .com when I have a choice of both. .Com still have a clout of being a rich brand. But not everybody cares for this in russia, add to it strong anti western feelings in this country.
In my opinion, on russian market only domains that can be used for selling goods will have any value in forseable future.

Last edited by blackpower; 28th September 2012 at 03:32 PM..
Old 28th September 2012, 03:34 PM

squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all

Ok, that's cool. And you feel that your view is shared by most russian domainers ?
Old 28th September 2012, 03:37 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

just to be clear.. you're saying that just because you have a ton of Russian .orgs up for sale in another thread, and therefore are probably heavily invested in Russian .org. You also joined the race too late to reg coms, but you could get .orgs

I have no axe to grind with you, just saying what others are more than likely probably thinking

Last edited by alpha; 28th September 2012 at 03:47 PM..
Old 28th September 2012, 03:49 PM

IdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished road

I bet he kept a few good ones nonetheless. But aside from that, sometimes its not what you think or dont think. Regardless if blackpower thinks that his lot of .orgs has potential to compete with .kom in the future or not, sometimes its simply about whats in your wallet, and whether or not you can afford renewals the following year on a lot of this size. Not trying to defend or challenge anyones opinion. Just sayin.

Last edited by IdnHost; 28th September 2012 at 03:50 PM..
Old 28th September 2012, 03:53 PM
Semi-retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdnHost View Post
Not trying to defend or challenge anyones opinion. Just sayin.
me too.

but you know how it works, people assume people have an agenda, and if it isn't discussed, then people will just dismiss what could be important info, and dismiss it as BS
Old 28th September 2012, 03:56 PM

I understand that some may think blackpower is biased. Legit

My question really is the result of all the chit chat on domenforum on how .org seems great and all. I admit I have little knowledge of the russian internet history and culture and I am struggling to understand what's happening there. I guess in the US-UK, .org is strongly associated to "not for profit", or at least "not commercially driven". I guess this view is not shared in Russia (?)
Old 28th September 2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha View Post
but you know how it works, people assume people have an agenda, and if it isn't discussed, then people will just dismiss what could be important info, and dismiss it as BS
True
Old 28th September 2012, 03:59 PM

IdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: Question

Quote:
me too.

valid point made
Old 28th September 2012, 04:01 PM
Semi-retired

Quote:
valid point made
i know, that's why i made it
Old 28th September 2012, 04:20 PM

Avtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the rough

According to this list, IDN.org domains, unlike IDN.com domains, should display as unicode in Firefox. Haven't tested this though.

Avtal
Old 28th September 2012, 04:37 PM

blackpower will become famous soon enoughblackpower will become famous soon enoughblackpower will become famous soon enoughblackpower will become famous soon enoughblackpower will become famous soon enoughblackpower will become famous soon enoughblackpower will become famous soon enoughblackpower will become famous soon enough

Quote:
just to be clear.. you're saying that just because you have a ton of Russian .orgs up for sale in another thread, and therefore are probably heavily invested in Russian .org. You also joined the race too late to reg coms, but you could get .orgs

I have no axe to grind with you, just saying what others are more than likely probably thinking
I did not miss any boat, btw. I have an excellent Portuguese portfolio and I think (and I am originally from Russia as you all know) that Brazil has better future much, much better future than Russia.
Russian domains still have value. This country has a lot of money but it has a domain market much different from other countries.
Old 28th September 2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
I bet he kept a few good ones nonetheless.
In fact I did... These are all good names but renewals is a challenge. I have 1500 portuguese names and about 300 russians. I have to unload some as much as I wanted to keep them all.
Old 28th September 2012, 04:44 PM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice
Wink Re: Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
What's the general sentiment in domenforum and other places on IDN.org vs IDN.com ?

I tried to read through some of the threads on domenforum a while back and I felt most people felt strongly about cyrillic.org but were not really excited about .com ? Is every Russian domainer feeling that way, and is it a strong feeling or simply a temporary comfortable stance that they take because they missed on IDN.com ?

Thanks
You are right, cyrillic.org rock!

Btw, check my отель.org
Old 28th September 2012, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avtal View Post
According to this list, IDN.org domains, unlike IDN.com domains, should display as unicode in Firefox. Haven't tested this though.

Avtal
Avtal,
indeed they are! This is great
Old 28th September 2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose View Post
You are right, cyrillic.org rock!
I didn't really say that ..
Old 28th September 2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpower View Post
.. but it has a domain market much different from other countries.
That's the interesting part we all want to know about
Old 28th September 2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
That's the interesting part we all want to know about
I'll try to explain as much as I can.
In fact I have, but nobody listened.
The better off a country, better the domain market, true or not?
So it all boils down to any given country prospects, imho.
Does Russia have good prospects?
The simple answer to this question is NO.
This does not mean that russia is not good for business. It may sound controvercial but some industries are doing very well here so there are plenty of rich people.
At the same time, this country does not have and will not have soon a normal online market in the western sense. People may be fascinated with russian billionaires, crazy riches and all but the fact is that Russia is very unstable country. It has almost no foreign investment coming in. Nobody wants to invest in Russia, it is as simple as that.
To understand what kind of domains are valuable in Russia, analyse sales of .rf last year.
The most expensive domain was russian name for bricks, over 200.000US, I think, a name of construction material, from which most of russian buildings are made. A brick business bought it.
The second most expensive was cement.rf
Domains as names of products that can be sold NOW- this is what can be valuable in Russia because Russia herself does not know what will be in 5 years here. Putin have created mafia style burocratic dictatorship.
it's russian business after all and let it be it but the problem is that nothing develops here, nothing advances. Business climate is horrendous.
All these reaches you see are coming from sale of natural resources and pure stealing. No country can exist like that for a long time, folks.
So, long term, no
Short term, yes

Last edited by blackpower; 28th September 2012 at 06:01 PM..
Old 28th September 2012, 06:11 PM
Semi-retired

I can't speak about Russias economy, but I can about the extns, so for the benefit of others, I'll call it as I see it.

disclaimer: I own just 90 Russian dot coms (a small fraction of my whole portfolio) I have a minority interest in a couple of top tier Russian .coms and own a few Top Tier Russian .orgs too
I even own a fairly big .net

so I can speak fairly neutrally on the com/org/net position

first the facts
  • I was late to the game, and I've been playing for nearly 7 years now. Why have I only got 90ish Russian dot coms? not out of choice I can assure you - fact is, people have long been registering Russian .coms
  • I used to have hundreds of Russian dot coms, then I paid to have them properly appraised by a native. As a result I dropped 75% of them as they were typos falling foul of the Russian language nuances. I'm no idiot, and I gave it the same due diligence as other languages, but the fact is, and unless you're a native speaker and spent a long time in the whois.. fact is you own junk typos and don't yet know it. Why make this point? Because good Russian coms were wiped out a long time ago. So unless you are happy to settle for less than good, or have deep pockets, then com is not an option.
  • Org is popular amongst those who don't have coms, and there is always a bias - it is human nature, just look at the comment they make and their forum join date.
    The answer is to follow the numbers, why are so many .orgs open for registration still? That question, answers itself.
  • Yes .org doesn't do the punycode firefox crap - for me that doesn't close the gap between reg fee <-> 6 figs.

So I lean towards .com as you can see above for all the reasons mentioned, and a ton of reasons you will know if you've been here a while or read enough.

But i outright own moscow.net and hotels.org in Russian - so you can decide for yourself if I speak with any bias

at the end of the day, people will believe what they want to, and with a sleepy market such as ours, there is scope for those with bias to manipulate (intentionally or not)

--- back to Squirrels question. I don't think you'll get a non-biased answer about the Domenforum people, they rubbished Russian IDN for 10 years, and only recently started regging Russian .orgs

Last edited by alpha; 28th September 2012 at 06:24 PM..
Old 28th September 2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
[*]I used to have hundreds of Russian dot coms, then I paid to have them properly appraised by a native. As a result I dropped 75% of them as they were typos falling foul of the Russian language nuances. I'm no idiot, and I gave it the same due diligence as other languages, but the fact is, and unless you're a native speaker and spent a long time in the whois.. fact is you own junk typos and don't yet know it.
Many here register .com without regard for unique character of a given country market, after what sells in US market. Most of those .coms are junk that will never be sold or used.