IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > Regional Specific Discussion > Русские Доменные Имена

Русские Доменные Имена Discussion on native Russian IDN domain names

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th May 2006, 01:46 PM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive
Getting into the minds of RU surfers

I've got a Russian IDN - нф.com - that gets a good number of hits per day but virtually no clicks (1 click this month). I've tried changing the keyword several times with no change in CTR. I tried to use the keywords that appear most frequently in the user searches but that didn't work either.

My impression was that нф was short for science fiction (Научная фантастика) in Russian, but related keywords don't spark any interest.

Could a Russian speaking member hypothesize as to what these surfers are looking for? Any insight would be appreciated.

Last edited by thefabfive; 26th May 2006 at 02:16 PM..
Old 26th May 2006, 02:02 PM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to thegenius1
Lightbulb Re: Getting into the minds of RU surfers

Ive been getting 50% + click through for the last few months Using the Keyword: Russian......
The domain below actual stats are more like 53% click thru , it became 50% when i visited it once to see if the background changed. Then domain is Eros.com

эрос.com US$ 0.29 14 7 % 50.00
Old 26th May 2006, 02:06 PM

domainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished road
Re: Getting into the minds of RU surfers

Do you use english-language keywords? I have been trying mine using Russian-Language keywords, but getting low click-through. Maybe I should try english...
Old 26th May 2006, 02:13 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: Getting into the minds of RU surfers

Science Fiction is correct. You have the search box template now on the .com. That's not a good one.
Old 26th May 2006, 02:15 PM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Ive been getting 50% + click through for the last few months Using the Keyword: Russian......
The domain below actual stats are more like 53% click thru , it became 50% when i visited it once to see if the background changed. Then domain is Eros.com
Russian was the first keyword I tried. There were even some Russian ads on the page but still not clicks. Just this domain has the low CTR. I'm guessing it's the expectations of the surfers.

Quote:
Do you use english-language keywords? I have been trying mine using Russian-Language keywords, but getting low click-through. Maybe I should try english...
I still use English keywords. Most Russian keywords don't bring up any ads yet.

Quote:
Science Fiction is correct. You have the search box template now on the .com. That's not a good one.
The search box was my latest try since nothing else seemed to work.
Old 26th May 2006, 02:18 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

OK. I have ъ.com it gets no clicks.

1. Maybe you aren't getting the Scifi crowd at all, just typo people.

2. Your domains are listed in google for нф searches. Think about it: if you searched Scifi on google in English, and clicked and saw a German PPC page, would you click through?

I think it is 2.

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 26th May 2006 at 02:21 PM..
Old 26th May 2006, 02:32 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Think about it: if you searched Scifi on google in English, and clicked and saw a German PPC page, would you click through?
But this is true of nearly all of our parked pages.

It could be the typo situation. Maybe they're looking for something specific and just click away when they realize this isn't it.
Old 26th May 2006, 04:15 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefabfive
But this is true of nearly all of our parked pages.

It could be the typo situation. Maybe they're looking for something specific and just click away when they realize this isn't it.
Yes, but if you were Googling, you could go back to the results and click on more relevant choices, whereas if you were purely typing-in you would be more likely to click on a link (excited by the fact that some kind of new page showed up in the first place) in the hope it would lead to somewhere interesting.

This is why Google results traffic is different from pure typins.
Old 26th May 2006, 04:24 PM
Administrator

I don't think my traffic comes from Google searches. While this name is indexed it does not appear on the first 10 (probably 20) pages of the search results. Also, most of my other Russian IDNs are indexed as well and CTR is normal for them.

I thought at least with the search box I could get a sense of what people are looking for without leading them to a particular keyword.
Old 27th May 2006, 10:28 AM
Veteran

Quote:
I don't think my traffic comes from Google searches. While this name is indexed it does not appear on the first 10 (probably 20) pages of the search results.
When I search for нф (without quotes, as most people do), both your .net and .com show up on the first page.
Old 27th May 2006, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Interesting. For me they show up on the 3 or 4th page, but this is the first time I've seen them this close to the front.

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 20th December 2006, 07:21 AM

ruBaka is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Getting into the minds of RU surfers

Quote:
My impression was that нф was short for science fiction (Научная фантастика) in Russian, but related keywords don't spark any interest.

Could a Russian speaking member hypothesize as to what these surfers are looking for? Any insight would be appreciated.
I think they are NOT looking for SciFi.
They forget to switch keyboard layout, while trying to get to ya.ru
(a simpler start page of yandex.ru, a Russian search engine).
^_^
Old 20th December 2006, 08:23 AM

burnsinternet is an unknown quantity at this point

This is a plausible answer. I know that some IDNers here have Russian domains specifically targeted at these "forgot to switch keyboard" domains. Anyone getting the traffic that you expected?

I have a similar situation with a Cyrillic domain that gets a lot of traffic searching for a specific search engine. I get so much traffic to the domain that it was easy to go to the 'settings page' and pick out the top searched terms. I went down the list until I found a Ukraine term that converts about 20% of the traffic. I am happy with that considering it was all 'junk' traffic at the start. It is now my top PPC earner.

See if that works for you. That domain might be your golden goose.
Old 20th December 2006, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruBaka
I think they are NOT looking for SciFi.
They forget to switch keyboard layout, while trying to get to ya.ru
(a simpler start page of yandex.ru, a Russian search engine).
^_^
Thanks for the insight, that makes alot of sense. I'll see what I can do with that knowledge now.