IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th November 2012, 05:37 PM

yanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to yanni Send a message via Skype™ to yanni
Who really uses IDNs DI

For those who haven't seen it:

From DomainIncite
Old 19th November 2012, 05:55 PM

tee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enough
Re: Who really uses IDNs DI

not sure what to make of the first part of the article, then then last paragraph, gonna reread it later when not so distracted. wonder what his angle is?

"Whatever the technology, countries which combine national pride and a character set far removed from our own probably see more desire for IDNs. With two years of hindsight, Russia obviously loves its IDN. And as other countries like China bring more elaborate IDN capabilities online, demand should grow and force even this IDN skeptic to recognize the new character(s) of the internet."
Old 19th November 2012, 11:49 PM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

Original article: “Why would kids in this country use IDNs,” I was told when I suggested that, surely, Bulgaria must be excited about the prospect of natural language web addresses. “What worries the authorities here is the fact that kids are using Latin scripts so much on social media sites that they don’t even know how to write in Cyrillic anymore! So even if they could use IDN web and email addresses, why would they? They want to communicate like everyone else does on Facebook.”

My version, with some slight changes: “Why would kids in this country use domain names,” I was told when I suggested that, surely, Bulgaria must be excited about the prospect of web addresses. “What worries the authorities here is the fact that kids are using Latin scripts so much on social media sites that they don’t even know how to write in Cyrillic anymore! So even if they could use web and email addresses, why would they? They want to communicate like everyone else does, on Facebook.”

Last edited by jose; 19th November 2012 at 11:52 PM..
Old 20th November 2012, 08:18 AM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose View Post
Original article: “Why would kids in this country use IDNs,” I was told when I suggested that, surely, Bulgaria must be excited about the prospect of natural language web addresses. “What worries the authorities here is the fact that kids are using Latin scripts so much on social media sites that they don’t even know how to write in Cyrillic anymore! So even if they could use IDN web and email addresses, why would they? They want to communicate like everyone else does on Facebook.”

My version, with some slight changes: “Why would kids in this country use domain names,” I was told when I suggested that, surely, Bulgaria must be excited about the prospect of web addresses. “What worries the authorities here is the fact that kids are using Latin scripts so much on social media sites that they don’t even know how to write in Cyrillic anymore! So even if they could use web and email addresses, why would they? They want to communicate like everyone else does, on Facebook.”
You really need to lay off the FB cool aid. FB may be the centre of your universe, but not everyone.
Yes 1bn people use it most days, but 7bn people take a dump every day, and I'm fairly sure that isn't the highlight of their day.

Yes it's todays place for the kids to hangout, when I was a kid it was CB radio, my eldest it was MSN
Yes it's the place where mothers upload tons of photos
Yes it's todays place where savvy socialites hang out

but it's not a replacement for the internet
it's not where real e-commerce takes place
it's not where b2b takes place
it's not where every company has moved their homepage to
Old 20th November 2012, 09:11 AM

bumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by tee1 View Post

not sure what to make of the first part of the article, then then last paragraph, gonna reread it later when not so distracted. wonder what his angle is?
Actually this article is quite balanced listing the pros and cons (nothing new). He might be an IDN sceptic but he is not an ignorant moron.

I don't get the Facebook argument though. It's not like users are forced to use Latin script on Facebook, is it?
Old 20th November 2012, 11:51 AM

123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road

bulgaria isn't an important market anyway.
Old 20th November 2012, 02:56 PM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha View Post
You really need to lay off the FB cool aid. FB may be the centre of your universe, but not everyone.
Yes 1bn people use it most days, but 7bn people take a dump every day, and I'm fairly sure that isn't the highlight of their day.

Yes it's todays place for the kids to hangout, when I was a kid it was CB radio, my eldest it was MSN
Yes it's the place where mothers upload tons of photos
Yes it's todays place where savvy socialites hang out

but it's not a replacement for the internet
it's not where real e-commerce takes place
it's not where b2b takes place
it's not where every company has moved their homepage to
Yes, you're correct and I agree. I just noticed the article is not really complaining about IDN x ASCII domains but instead about DOMAIN NAMES x Social Networks and couldn't resist commenting about it.

The article raises an important point that I have been referring to for a long time: is it too late for IDNs to gain traction?

Also, teens are moving away from Facebook to Tumblr and Instagram. Tumblr is very cool because it has the same viral sharing power tools Facebook has (no need to rely on Google/SEO to build serious traffic) and allows one to fully control their space, having Adsense, for instance.