IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | idntools | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Development > Search Engine Optimization : SEO

Search Engine Optimization : SEO SEO techniques & discussion for IDN Domains.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th December 2012, 09:01 PM

newtoidns is an unknown quantity at this point
How does SEO and IDN domains differ?

Hi

I am new to idn domain names and was wondering how google views them when it come to ranking them,

I know exact matching domain names do help with regards to normal seo and was wondering if this is the case with idn domains,

Thanks
Old 4th December 2012, 09:08 PM

yanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to yanni Send a message via Skype™ to yanni
Re: How does SEO and IDN domains differ?

Yes it is. But for the Russian market (since your first idn is Russian) you really need Yandex and Mail.ru to index your site. And they will, eventually. It may help to create a Yandex.ru webmaster account.
Old 4th December 2012, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanni View Post
Yes it is. But for the Russian market (since your first idn is Russian) you really need Yandex and Mail.ru to index your site. And they will, eventually. It may help to create a Yandex.ru webmaster account.
Thanks for that,

What i am wondering is how yandex / google etc respond when a EWD which is a IDN and if a EWS IDN helps in SEO placement like normal EWD domain names
Old 4th December 2012, 09:20 PM

yanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to yanni Send a message via Skype™ to yanni

Yes Google and Yandex treat them as regular EMD. A few people here have sites on IDN EMD which place well in the engines. Content, of course, will be your primary factor for placing well, but I'm sure you know that.
Old 4th December 2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanni View Post
Yes Google and Yandex treat them as regular EMD. A few people here have sites on IDN EMD which place well in the engines. Content, of course, will be your primary factor for placing well, but I'm sure you know that.
Hi

Thanks, yes content is king as always.

I might have ago at developing some EWD IDN domain names and see how these rank, would be interesting for me to see how these work out
Old 2nd February 2013, 11:40 AM

123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road

google does recognize and display IDNs properly so at least in theory they should rank like ASCII
Old 3rd February 2013, 03:51 AM

Avtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123 View Post
google does recognize and display IDNs properly so at least in theory they should rank like ASCII
Here's what I wrote in another thread:

My experience is that google.ru takes EMD into account when ranking Russian IDNs, pretty strongly in some cases. Yandex.ru, on the other hand, does not seem to take EMD into account very much (if at all). However, I get the impression that Google's policies vary from language to language, and Google changes their ranking algorithms all the time.

That is based on my experience creating Russian-language mini-sites. I have noticed, by the way, that although the standard Google text search displays IDNs properly, Google image search displays domain names as punycode.

Avtal
Old 3rd February 2013, 02:50 PM

123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road

if you enter that url погода-в-столице.рф

bing displays them as well so it should be ok imo. at least the major search engines seem to recognize them.

Last edited by 123; 3rd February 2013 at 02:54 PM..