IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > Politics, Philosophy and Economics

Politics, Philosophy and Economics Discuss world events, politics, philosophy and economics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th December 2012, 08:52 PM

monkmonkey is on a distinguished roadmonkmonkey is on a distinguished roadmonkmonkey is on a distinguished roadmonkmonkey is on a distinguished roadmonkmonkey is on a distinguished roadmonkmonkey is on a distinguished road
Connecticut school massacre

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/12/14...ool/?hpt=hp_t1

27 Dead including 20 children. This shit happens more and more often nowadays. Time for America to repeal the 2nd Amendment . Guns have no place in modern society. They were necessary when the 2nd amendment was adopted on Dec. 15, 1791 but not today. Guns are
"I love it when a plan comes together"John "Hannibal" Smith
"The only person who could take down J.R was J.R." -John Ross

"Larry Hagman is now God"- Me

Last edited by monkmonkey; 14th December 2012 at 09:11 PM..
Old 14th December 2012, 09:11 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation
Re: Connecticut school massacre

"The right to bear arms"

What rights did those poor kids have.

I can tell you, as a Brit I view Americas love affair with guns nothing less than barbaric.

The sad thing is, for all the talk, nothing will change, you can't unring the bell.

If I was american I would hang my head in shame, 3rd time this year I think.
Old 14th December 2012, 09:24 PM

Jay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha View Post
I can tell you, as a Brit I view Americas love affair with guns nothing less than barbaric.
Yeah, it's strange how a country can be so advanced in some of its principles and completely retarded in others.
Old 14th December 2012, 09:30 PM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to thegenius1

But then the debate becomes, wouldn't they just choose another weapon if they are this mentally disturbed ?
Old 14th December 2012, 09:33 PM
Semi-retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegenius1 View Post
But then the debate becomes, wouldn't they just choose another weapon if they are this mentally disturbed ?
With respect, that's dumb logic.

If that were true, you'd read every day in every city in the world about school killings using knives/baseball bats etc.. but you don't.
Old 14th December 2012, 09:46 PM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to thegenius1

Quote:
With respect, that's dumb logic.

If that were true, you'd read every day in every city in the world about school killings using knives/baseball bats etc.. but you don't.
I guess I should have clarified this is not my stance, but this comes up a lot when people start debating gun control. I always reference the difference in gun laws in the U.S and Canada. For instance take a look at the number of Gun crimes in Detroit Michigan and compare them to the those of Windsor Ontario. If you don't know Detroit and Windsor are separated by a bridge.

Quote:
In Detroit, home to about 713,000 people last year, homicides occur nearly once a day.

Canadian border city has first homicide in 26 months

In his 60 years, Arnold Blaine has known only two people who've owned a gun: one a hunter, the other a nightclub owner.
http://articles.cnn.com/2011-11-25/a..._s=PM:AMERICAS

Last edited by thegenius1; 14th December 2012 at 10:17 PM..
Old 14th December 2012, 10:32 PM

Avtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Unfortunate coincidence:
in-repeat-of-disturbing-news-man-with-knife-attacks-school-children-in-china. The good news: all the Chinese school children are expected to survive.

Avtal

Last edited by Avtal; 14th December 2012 at 10:34 PM..
Old 14th December 2012, 11:02 PM

alexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enough

Just heard this on the news a few minutes back. What a sad day this is - I can't imagine how the families of the victims are feeling !!

Old 14th December 2012, 11:31 PM
Semi-retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avtal View Post
Unfortunate coincidence:
in-repeat-of-disturbing-news-man-with-knife-attacks-school-children-in-china. The good news: all the Chinese school children are expected to survive.

Avtal
And we have rare attacks like that here in the UK too. But the difference is the scale. When firearms are involved the headline becomes "massacre" and the victims number many.
Old 15th December 2012, 12:24 AM

Ben has a spectacular aura aboutBen has a spectacular aura aboutBen has a spectacular aura aboutBen has a spectacular aura aboutBen has a spectacular aura aboutBen has a spectacular aura aboutBen has a spectacular aura aboutBen has a spectacular aura aboutBen has a spectacular aura aboutBen has a spectacular aura about

Humanity sickens me.
Old 15th December 2012, 01:19 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

While the incident is most unfortunate, the pussyfooting of Europeans and others elsewhere who advocate banning guns is misguided, especially as it doesn't affect them one bit.

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 15th December 2012 at 01:22 AM..
Old 15th December 2012, 01:25 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Last time a bunch of mongs in the UK rioted, ordinary people had to resort to using bats and clubs to defend their property. That's really what is barbaric: that they couldn't even use their swords: also illegal. So the UK, as far as self defense, is not in the dark ages, it is in the stone age.

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 15th December 2012 at 02:19 AM..
Old 15th December 2012, 02:44 AM

123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
27 Dead including 20 children. This shit happens more and more often nowadays. Time for America to repeal the 2nd Amendment . Guns have no place in modern society. They were necessary when the 2nd amendment was adopted on Dec. 15, 1791 but not today. Guns are
i am anti-gun too... but...

That guns are easy to obtain certainly doesn't help and aggravates the problem but these things are happening more and more in other countries too even where they're not gun friendly.

it's easy to blame everything on weapons but i think this is a more complex problem.

still i don't understand why they don't have stricter laws in the us. almost one headline every week.

Last edited by 123; 15th December 2012 at 02:47 AM..
Old 15th December 2012, 03:27 AM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

Quote:
"The right to bear arms"

What rights did those poor kids have.

The sad thing is, for all the talk, nothing will change, you can't unring the bell.

If I was american I would hang my head in shame, 3rd time this year I think.
I subscribe every word. I think even Obama was ashamed for having his hands tied on this mater.

You can't smoke in a restaurant but no questions asked when carrying a gun inside.
Old 15th December 2012, 03:27 AM
Semi-retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast View Post
While the incident is most unfortunate
"Most unfortunate"? I'm going out on a limb here, you're not a parent are you

Quote:
Last time a bunch of mongs in the UK rioted, ordinary people had to resort to using bats and clubs to defend their property. That's really what is barbaric: that they couldn't even use their swords: also illegal. So the UK, as far as self defense, is not in the dark ages, it is in the stone age.
What a ridiculous comparison. You're talking about something that has happened once in our recent history (not something that has happened 3 times this year alone I think there's been a school shooting?). You're talking about property, not kids lives.
And from memory, no one actually died in all those days of riots. Can you imagine what it would have been like if they all had guns too.. the death toll would have been in the hundreds.

I know you well Dan, better than you think, and actually I think you're just being you, the controversial you who is bored and looking for a wind-up; rather than feeling the way you suggest you do on this topic.
So I'm not going to take the bait with you on this topic anymore.
Old 15th December 2012, 03:35 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
By that logic we should all have our own nuclear weapons?

the biggest problem is how the fuck do you remove all those weapons from society when frankly the records of who has got what are useless.
Old 15th December 2012, 03:42 AM
Semi-retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck View Post
the biggest problem is how the fuck do you remove all those weapons from society when frankly the records of who has got what are useless.
Hence my can't "unring the bell" comment, you'd never rid them of the country. But besides, the pro-gun lobbys have a lot of pull; nfw is any ban going to happen. The best you'll ever get are restrictions, but that will do nothing to stop your school massacre nutjob.
Old 15th December 2012, 04:23 AM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

Now the video game is to blame:

http://mashable.com/2012/12/14/mass-...book-shooting/
Old 15th December 2012, 10:29 AM

bumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose View Post
Does it mean Marilyn Manson is innocent this time?
Old 15th December 2012, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck View Post
Bingo. Something like 300 million firearms in the USA.

All they can do is try to keep them out of the hands of nutcases.