IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th January 2013, 01:40 AM

dnnames is on a distinguished roaddnnames is on a distinguished roaddnnames is on a distinguished roaddnnames is on a distinguished roaddnnames is on a distinguished roaddnnames is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to dnnames
Bulk Language Classification

Hi all. Happy New Year!

I am looking for a bulk search tool which gives back the language of each IDN domain name that is put in. Understand that it can't be perfect (Jap/Chinese and Rus/Ukr can get confused etc), but would be great if there is a tool which expedited this process by providing a first pass.

IDNtools used to provide this with their bulk translator, but of course that is no longer operational.

Thanks in advance!
Old 8th January 2013, 05:01 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy
Re: Bulk Language Classification

Just look at the punycode.
Old 8th January 2013, 05:04 AM

dnnames is on a distinguished roaddnnames is on a distinguished roaddnnames is on a distinguished roaddnnames is on a distinguished roaddnnames is on a distinguished roaddnnames is on a distinguished road

Drewbert do you mind elaborating on this?
Old 8th January 2013, 05:22 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Well, you can tell just by looking at the punycode.

But I guess if you don't want to learn that trick (it can make you a bit of money at parties), then at PERL's unicode REGEX codes that will look at a UTF-8 character and tell you what language it belongs to.

Code:
\p{Hiragana}
\p{Katakana}
\p{Han}
etc

See: http://perldoc.perl.org/perluniprops.html
Old 8th January 2013, 05:49 AM

I guess my question is how do you tell from the punycode? I must be missing some vital information. Would be great if you could point me towards the right direction.
Old 8th January 2013, 05:06 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnnames View Post
I guess my question is how do you tell from the punycode? I must be missing some vital information. Would be great if you could point me towards the right direction.
Easy as just memorizing the chart Drewbert sent you!!!
Old 8th January 2013, 05:20 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnnames View Post
Drew is referring to a bet I lost in a hotel a few years ago.

We all know punycode can't be read by a human, so I bet Drew 50 EUR he couldn't identify the language from looking at 5 punycodes. Arabic is easy right, especially with the leading "the". But needless to say I recall Drew got 4 out of 5 only 1 of them was Arabic.

I'm still perplexed by this.
Old 8th January 2013, 06:31 PM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to thegenius1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha View Post
Drew is referring to a bet I lost in a hotel a few years ago.
Speaking of this when is the next moonie reunion? Still have some laughs about the last one I attended. Your ****, **** oh and ****

Last edited by alpha; 8th January 2013 at 07:32 PM.. Reason: what happens in Vegas..
Old 8th January 2013, 07:28 PM

squirrel is a name known to all
squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegenius1 View Post
oh and ****
...I think you just broke the first rule there

Last edited by alpha; 8th January 2013 at 08:01 PM..
Old 8th January 2013, 07:39 PM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Reason: what happens in Vegas. ahahahaha almost forgot, I guess there is no statute of limitations

Last edited by thegenius1; 8th January 2013 at 07:41 PM..
Old 8th January 2013, 07:40 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegenius1 View Post
Just so you know.. that isn't a whistleblower emoticon; adding it to the end of sentences doesn't excuse you from honoring Vegas's #1 rule.
Old 8th January 2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha View Post
Just so you know.. that isn't a whistleblower emoticon; adding it to the end of sentences doesn't excuse you from honoring Vegas's #1 rule.
Hahaha , the whistle is a sound made here in the States when woman look good. Generally with a quick high pitched whistle followed by and extended one. But let me be quite as I don't want to be found in the desert

Last edited by thegenius1; 8th January 2013 at 07:49 PM..