IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

View Poll Results: How do YOU use idnforums?
I am a regular visitor, and I post regularly 22 61.11%
I am an occasional visitor, and I post occasionally 5 13.89%
I am a regular visitor, but I do not post 6 16.67%
I am an occasional visitor, but I do not post 3 8.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th January 2013, 04:41 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation
How do YOU use idnforums?

anonymous poll.

Last edited by alpha; 16th January 2013 at 04:45 PM..
Old 16th January 2013, 05:44 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: How do YOU use idnforums?

Talk about flawed methodology.

If there were a hundred times as many in the second category as the first, you would still expect to get more responses from the first. So what exactly is this going to tell us?

Beyond the obvious that is?
Old 16th January 2013, 05:53 PM

bumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck View Post
true.
Old 16th January 2013, 06:08 PM
Semi-retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck View Post

If there were a hundred times as many in the second category as the first, you would still expect to get more responses from the first. So what exactly is this going to tell us?

Beyond the obvious that is?
If you take a look behind the curtain, we have hundreds of members. And even after you strip away all the bots and spammers, its still in the hundreds.

If you look at who's online over a 30 day period, you'll see many members, of which only a small fraction interact... i.e. post.

I don't care much for whether 1 or 2 is voted. I care on the ratio between 1+2 and 3+4

Assuming people bother to vote (it is anonymous) and vote accurately, then the ratio should be interesting.

A follow-up poll would then ask those same people in 3/4 why they don't post. Knowing the ratio between people who post and people who don't, AND how regular they are will steer the type of poll questions in the 2nd poll. For example, a huge ratio with proportionally large regular visitors on each side might indicate that people feel they cannot comfortably post (we have been accused of being a hostile environment before)

If you still think my methodology is flawed, feel free to correct me. Approach I don't care for, just the answers matter to me.
Old 16th January 2013, 07:10 PM

Location: Global Headquarters of the Dot Net Skepticism Alliance
idn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished road

While it would definitely be a useful poll, I tend to agree with the others. If you can't get folks to bid (buy) on the numerous active daily for sale listings you're probably not going to get the same to vote. The real interest is either there or it's not.
Old 16th January 2013, 07:53 PM

squirrel is a name known to all
squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by idn View Post
While it would definitely be a useful poll, I tend to agree with the others. If you can't get folks to bid (buy) on the numerous active daily for sale listings you're probably not going to get the same to vote. The real interest is either there or it's not.
I believe there is a reasonable number of domainers who buy and register domains as much as any of us and never bothered to bid on an auction here. For one if they don't speak english well, it might scare them away. They probably just "read" the forums every once in a while and register in their own language - I'm sure I've seen several whois records from Russia and Arabic countries linked to more and more domains with time, yet it's not like we've had 50 new active Arabic and Russian members in the past 3 years.

I know a handful of ASCIIer who are dabbling in IDNs and find this forum too hostile. They may read a few threads irregularly and do a search on the forum to find a ressource in the archive but that's it. They know that if a domain is selling here, it's probably because it doesn't have any traffic worth speaking of (not always true, but it's a fair generalization) so why bother.

Finally, lots of the big boys, registrars, registries, early IDNers, policy heads etc. are probably visiting this space to stay in touch with the plebes () but really why mix with them ?
Old 16th January 2013, 08:05 PM

idn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
I believe there is a reasonable number of domainers who buy and register domains as much as any of us and never bothered to bid on an auction here. For one if they don't speak english well, it might scare them away. They probably just "read" the forums every once in a while and register in their own language - I'm sure I've seen several whois records from Russia and Arabic countries linked to more and more domains with time, yet it's not like we've had 50 new active Arabic and Russian members in the past 3 years.
I am speaking in terms of years, not days.

Quote:
I know a handful of ASCIIer who are dabbling in IDNs and find this forum too hostile.
Probably true, but my experience has shown me that most investors can put the negatives aside when the chance to make $$$ is present.
Old 16th January 2013, 08:06 PM
Semi-retired

Quote:
I hate to disagree with you, but I disagree with you.

The question here is why do most members not post. It's a fact they don't.

Here's an example from yesterday. This guy, 8 posts in 5 years. Then places a bid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Colin View Post
2500 valid 4 12 hrs
(the fact this guy hasn't followed through on the sale, is another topic altogether, but unrelated)

Clicking on a vote button in an anonymous poll is different to engaging in conversation or bidding.

But the thing is, the poll is open for 30 days, and I will know from the user reports how many members logged in over that 30 days.
If the poll results are as you suggest (no one bothers to vote), then that in itself tells me all I need to know. It tells me that my efforts are futile, and not worth following up, as the voyeur members will always be voyeurs.

Last edited by alpha; 16th January 2013 at 08:08 PM..
Old 16th January 2013, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha View Post
I hate to disagree with you, but I disagree with you.

The question here is why do most members not post. It's a fact they don't.

Here's an example from yesterday. This guy, 8 posts in 5 years. Then places a bid.

(the fact this guy hasn't followed through on the sale, is another topic altogether, but unrelated)

Clicking on a vote button in an anonymous poll is different to engaging in conversation or bidding.

But the thing is, the poll is open for 30 days, and I will know from the user reports how many members logged in over that 30 days.
If the poll results are as you suggest (no one bothers to vote), then that in itself tells me all I need to know. It tells me that my efforts are futile, and not worth following up, as the voyeur members will always be voyeurs.
I was more or less saying if you can't people to engage in beneficial activities it is probably difficult to get them to engage in informational activities. An interesting poll would be why don't you interact with forum.
Old 16th January 2013, 08:47 PM
Semi-retired

Quote:
...An interesting poll would be why don't you interact with forum.
yes, as I mentioned earlier, that was poll #2.
Old 16th January 2013, 09:08 PM
Semi-retired

so here's some stats.

Of the hundreds of members who logged in over the last 6 months:

58% didn't post in those 6 months
34% have never posted

note: this does not include bots/spammers etc

maybe that's "normal". Does anyone have any kind of baseline of what to expect?
Old 16th January 2013, 09:19 PM

Quote:
yes, as I mentioned earlier, that was poll #2.
Sorry, missed that. But even then perhaps as JS said it is a language barrier. If I joined idnclub I wouldn't post much either.

Can you see geographically where most members are from by self entry or ip?
Old 16th January 2013, 09:40 PM
Semi-retired

Quote:
Can you see geographically where most members are from by self entry or ip?

U.S 21%
Canada 6%
UK 3%
Israel 3%
Australia 2%
Thailand 2%
Hong Kong 1.5%
China 1.5%
Germany 1.5%
remaining 54 countries 58%

IDNforums is mainly a "western" thing, which is no surprise really.
Let's face it, IDNs themselves for now seem to be the worlds best kept secret

note: the above isn't members. It is based on repeat visitors from Google Analytics.

Last edited by alpha; 16th January 2013 at 09:42 PM..
Old 17th January 2013, 07:14 AM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

If you were a regular visitor and did not post, would you change your mindset and answer a poll? Just asking ....
Old 17th January 2013, 07:16 AM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
U.S 21%
Canada 6%
UK 3%
Israel 3%
Australia 2%
Thailand 2%
Hong Kong 1.5%
China 1.5%
Germany 1.5%
remaining 54 countries 58%

IDNforums is mainly a "western" thing, which is no surprise really.
Let's face it, IDNs themselves for now seem to be the worlds best kept secret

note: the above isn't members. It is based on repeat visitors from Google Analytics.
That is really weird. 3% in UK and 2% in Thailand. I know me and Wot live in Thailand, but I don't know anyone else. I know its not a membership thing, but still, I would expect 10x more visitors from UK than Thailand. Suggests lots of Thai lurkers? Not posting because of language issues perhaps?

Could you list number of pageviews per month per country? Might be revealing in knowing just how big this "lurker population" is .....
Old 17th January 2013, 07:20 AM
Semi-retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru View Post
If you were a regular visitor and did not post, would you change your mindset and answer a poll? Just asking ....
Don't know, but in itself it will be revealing.

If the answer is no. Then I know it's not worth pursuing.
If the answer is yes. Then it suggests ppl are not comfortable posting, or maybe language is the issue. Or maybe privacy.

either way still, no results tell a story.
Old 17th January 2013, 07:43 AM
Semi-retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru View Post
That is really weird. 3% in UK and 2% in Thailand. I know me and Wot live in Thailand, but I don't know anyone else. I know its not a membership thing, but still, I would expect 10x more visitors from UK than Thailand. Suggests lots of Thai lurkers? Not posting because of language issues perhaps?

Could you list number of pageviews per month per country? Might be revealing in knowing just how big this "lurker population" is .....
% of page views over last 6 mos

U.S 35%
Canada 11%
UK 6%
Jordan 3.5%
India 2.8%
Australia 2.8%
HK 2.8%
Taiwan 2.4%
Thailand 2.3%
other 31%
Old 17th January 2013, 08:09 AM

Quote:
% of page views over last 6 mos

U.S 35%
Canada 11%
UK 6%
Jordan 3.5%
India 2.8%
Australia 2.8%
HK 2.8%
Taiwan 2.4%
Thailand 2.3%
other 31%
umm ... certainly UK shows 6% pageviews whilst only 2% visitors.

But Thailand has 2.4% pageviews with 2% visitors.

Suggests to me Thais come to the site, see its in English, and f**k off again. Of course there will be other explanations ..... perhaps they *can* read English but see little of interest on the forum? Lack of posts about Thai names? (Thought I do try my best )

Anyway, all I know with stats is the deeper you dig, the more confused you tend to get. It takes amazing focus to get anything useful out of most stats projects. but i know Gary is the male for the job!
Old 17th January 2013, 12:39 PM

Eurorealtor is on a distinguished roadEurorealtor is on a distinguished roadEurorealtor is on a distinguished roadEurorealtor is on a distinguished roadEurorealtor is on a distinguished roadEurorealtor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
If the answer is yes. Then it suggests ppl are not comfortable posting, or maybe language is the issue.
Some people have no balls to post, because of limited knowledge of the industry and simply they don't want to make fool of themselves IMO.
Old 17th January 2013, 12:44 PM
Semi-retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurorealtor View Post
Some people have no balls to post, because of limited knowledge of the industry and simply they don't want to make fool of themselves IMO.
If true, that's a real shame. I'd be quite embarrassed too if someone where to resurrect some of my early post.. we all have to start somewhere.

There are a lot of senior members here, who while waiting for payday to arrive, I'm sure would be quite willing (and would most likely enjoy) to answer noob questions.