IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th January 2013, 02:19 AM

Location: Global Headquarters of the Dot Net Skepticism Alliance
idn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished road
Possible New Sections

When I visit the for sale and auction sections these days I feel like I am visiting the land of the misfit domains. Mostly stuff that I would never buy/bid on (nor would most members) or it is an auction that has been running since 2012.

If would be nice if we could add two new sections. One section perhaps called speedy auctions (max 72 hours or something). This type of section interests me both as a seller and a buyer. As a buyer a guaranteed short auction adds an element of excitement as well as I know I can own the domain in a short period of time. As a seller the auction will not run for weeks for only a marginal increase in price and honestly sniping might even outweigh the marginal decrease in price expected from the shorter auction.

It would also be nice to see a premium for sale section at this point with listings pre approved by admin. I know this task would be more work but I think it would add tremendous value. I know some members would like to focus on the best and I imagine so would new money especially if/when we get some real traction.

Just my opinion.
Old 24th January 2013, 02:25 AM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to thegenius1
Re: Possible New Sections

Quote:
Originally Posted by idn View Post
When I visit the for sale and auction sections these days I feel like I am visiting the land of the misfit domains. Mostly stuff that I would never buy/bid on (nor would most members) or it is an auction that has been running since 2012.

If would be nice if we could add two new sections. One section perhaps called speedy auctions (max 72 hours or something). This type of section interests me both as a seller and a buyer. As a buyer a guaranteed short auction adds an element of excitement as well as I know I can own the domain in a short period of time. As a seller the auction will not run for weeks for only a marginal increase in price and honestly sniping might even outweigh the marginal decrease in price expected from the shorter auction.

It would also be nice to see a premium for sale section at this point with listings pre approved by admin. I know this task would be more work but I think it would add tremendous value. I know some members would like to focus on the best and I imagine so would new money especially if/when we get some real traction.

Just my opinion.
^^What he said
Old 24th January 2013, 02:52 AM

Rockruler is an unknown quantity at this pointRockruler is an unknown quantity at this point

Agreed. We need more premium domains for sale here.
Old 24th January 2013, 04:27 AM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

Quote:
..If would be nice if we could add two new sections. One section perhaps called speedy auctions (max 72 hours or something). This type of section interests me both as a seller and a buyer. As a buyer a guaranteed short auction adds an element of excitement as well as I know I can own the domain in a short period of time. As a seller the auction will not run for weeks for only a marginal increase in price and honestly sniping might even outweigh the marginal decrease in price expected from the shorter auction.

Just my opinion.
I can't disagree that it can be better.
And the idea of having an area for short auctions is an interesting idea.

Where I struggle, is with the concept of "premium".
If we could weigh or measure and tangibly agree what is premium or not; life would be easy. But as we know, its not scientific, its often emotive.
We can all agree on what is AAA quality, and these never come up for sale anyway, so then we get in to the gray area with everything else, and knowing the shit and abuse I regularly take from a minority here for having the "audacity" to pass comment on quality in the past, the thought of that being a formal process decided by an admin as you suggest, sends a shiver down my spine.
The only workable solution I can think of, would be to first run a poll on the domain, and if the consensus was "its premium", then only then is it admitted.
That to me, now sounds like a bloated process, and probably not what your looking for. Having to administrate that, doesn't thrill me either.
Bottom line is, people don't like to hear about the quality unless its the answer they were looking for.
The truth is, maybe your baby IS ugly, but hearing it is painful.

In summary Mark, nice idea, but maybe not so simple.
Old 24th January 2013, 06:41 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockruler View Post
Agreed. We need more premium domains for sale here.
Supply and Demand.

You will get them if there are buyers prepared to pay realistic prices.
Old 24th January 2013, 07:04 AM

alexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enough

Quote:
+1

I'd love to see something like this - some of the current auctions are ones where bids are increased by $1 every three days or so - and the auction can last for months, with the final selling prices being only around the $20 mark. Some sort of speedy-time restricted auction section would be a great addition.

Old 24th January 2013, 07:09 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexd View Post
+1

I'd love to see something like this - some of the current auctions are ones where bids are increased by $1 every three days or so - and the auction can last for months, with the final selling prices being only around the $20 mark. Some sort of speedy-time restricted auction section would be a great addition.
If the next bid has to exceed the previous bid by more than 5%, that helps a lot.

Personally, I would be for imposing that on all auctions.

Because of geographic spread, you need allow bidders at least 24hrs to respond, which slows things down a lot.
Old 24th January 2013, 07:34 AM

alexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck View Post
If the next bid has to exceed the previous bid by more than 5%, that helps a lot.
Makes perfect sense. However, for those of us whose mathematically challenged - how about adding some sort of percentage calculator widget somewhere on the site.

Old 24th January 2013, 08:19 AM

chrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexd View Post
Makes perfect sense. However, for those of us whose mathematically challenged - how about adding some sort of percentage calculator widget somewhere on the site.
well on the auctions that start at $1 and 72 hour time between bids. the 5% would still produce a long ass auction. all the $1 increases from $1 to $20 are above the 5%. maybe on those each new bid must increase by $1. so like first first bid $1 next bid would have to increase it $2 to $3, next bid would have to increase $3 to $5, next bid increase $4 to $9 and so on.

Last edited by chrisofmel; 24th January 2013 at 08:32 AM..
Old 24th January 2013, 08:49 AM

bumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura about

I agree that snail auctions are annoying. But what would a new section do about it? You've already got all the options for speeding them up: starting bid, increments, BIN, end time. But being too strict about these conditions usually makes it even more painful for the seller.

As for a premium section: That's a nice idea. But for the reasons Alpha mentioned you'd have to make it as unbureaucratic as possible. For example: let (at least) 3 mods agree it is premium and no one vote against it. That way you should have a decision within 24 hours. With the top class stuff Mark or Moshe put up for sale occasionally there won't be much debate anyway. With everything else it's not quite as clear. But then again you could argue: If it's not crystal clear it's not premium.
Old 24th January 2013, 08:53 AM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

I think fixed time auctions, done by whatever method, are an excellent idea. Auctions lasting weeks or months and getting to $83 might seem "funny", but in the cold light of day, are an incredible waste of time and energy.

I have actually stopped looking at auctions for a long while now. Issues:
1) The time thing mentioned above.
2) I got pissed off with every other auction saying "prime" or "premium" and all the other hyperbole, especially when half the domains couldn't even get a starting bid. Gave the impression there must be some shamsters on the forum.
3) There's nothing worth bidding on. Everything now is either a .net (which I personally don't go for) or a crappy .com (which I personally don't go for)

As for idea of "premium auction" section, not an excellent idea:
1) Who defines premium? Should we have a committee of esteemed members to pass judgement on domains, premium or not? Terrible thought. But much more than that ...
2) If the domain really is premium, and I'll try and put this politely, wtf are you doing try to sell it to resellers for? That's the worst mistake you can make as a domainer. I don't care how poor you are or how many names you have to renew, you never sell off your AAA names to resellers for a fraction of the price you would get selling to end users. Sell your car, your kidz or something, but don't auction off your best names to us lot. And if no end users are interested then I've got news for you dude, its not the premium name you hoped it was.
3) If some "big players" do come in, some proper pros they won't need hand-holding. They probably wouldn't take part in any auctions anyway, just buy portfolios outright.

just my 2 satang
Old 24th January 2013, 09:14 AM

clipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the rough

Okay, everyone, thanks for the suggestions and input. Now, in the name of secrecy, STFU. :-)
Old 24th January 2013, 09:21 AM

Eurorealtor is on a distinguished roadEurorealtor is on a distinguished roadEurorealtor is on a distinguished roadEurorealtor is on a distinguished roadEurorealtor is on a distinguished roadEurorealtor is on a distinguished road

Isn't all the auction bidders the 65% of "I am a regular visitor, and I post regularly" ?
This forum seems to be a one happy family of "few" guys you can pretty much see to post in every thread. IMO this forum needs to spread up. You can see many new "domainers" every day on the others forums, and even I guess for most of you newbies are pain in the butt, but you need them to come over, teach them and supply them with IDNs in the auction (premium or basic to fill up their new portfolios). The question is, how to bring them here as well. Maybe we can use our signature on other forums to invite new members in here. Just my opinion.
Old 24th January 2013, 10:09 AM

bumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurorealtor View Post
Isn't all the auction bidders the 65% of "I am a regular visitor, and I post regularly" ?
This forum seems to be a one happy family of "few" guys you can pretty much see to post in every thread. IMO this forum needs to spread up. You can see many new "domainers" every day on the others forums, and even I guess for most of you newbies are pain in the butt, but you need them to come over, teach them and supply them with IDNs in the auction (premium or basic to fill up their new portfolios). The question is, how to bring them here as well. Maybe we can use our signature on other forums to invite new members in here. Just my opinion.
You have nailed both the best and the worst part of this forum. Yes, more buyers are needed. But no, we don't need more namepros members. They won't buy anyway, they'd just try to unload their crap names like büsine$$.mobi. Just look at the IDN section at namepros and you know what I mean. With the DNForum crowd it's even more of a mutual dislike afaIk.

Last edited by bumblebee man; 24th January 2013 at 10:16 AM..
Old 24th January 2013, 12:26 PM

IdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurorealtor View Post
The bringing them here part is not that difficult imo. I think the difficult part is to make them understand what idns are all about, the opportunity at hand, and getting them involved in the process of buying and selling idns per se. If you sort through old threads not only in this forum but others like namepros and dnforums you will undoubtedly notice that a number of senior members from idnf have been advocating idns for for a very long time. Very few in the domaining world have read these threads and followed up on the news, and even fewer ended up here as a result and started investing in idns.
But dont sweat, they will all come around sooner or later. They always do. Just be prepared for when they do.
Old 24th January 2013, 12:56 PM

Avtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the rough

Slightly off topic, but here is a list of newbie posts guaranteed to get flames from the senior members:

"Hi, I have this great domain ḧȫṱḝl.com for sale. Who want to be the first bidder?"

"Hi, I'm from Turkey/Poland/Sweden, and all the young people here leave off the accent/diacritical marks when they text. Why would they want them on domain names?"

"Hi, I'm from China/Russia/India, and I love my native language, but English is the language that binds the world together. So domain names should use the English alphabet."

"Hi, I'm from ICANN. What can I do for you?"

Avtal

Last edited by Avtal; 24th January 2013 at 01:04 PM..
Old 24th January 2013, 01:01 PM

idn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha View Post
Where I struggle, is with the concept of "premium".
Maybe the term premium is not what I wanted to use. Could just be a section of higher priced domains. Domains above $500 or something. That only requires a minimal level of scrutiny from the mods- "is it worth at least $500". Perhaps it does not even need to be a section that is applied for, but a new section that any member of the idn staff can upgrade a thread to or duplicate it. A manually filter if you will.

At this point in time there is limited motivation to list quality domains here (not speaking the best of the best). Within 24 hours a domain without a bid can be lost in the land of misfit domains never heard from again unless the seller gets a bumpin'.

And from a buying standpoint on the lower priced stuff I am usually better off searching for a hang reg than most options on the forum. Not an exaggeration. It is a domain dump here...let's face it. We all dump what we no longer want or what no longer fits in our portfolio. Sometimes one man's trash is another man's treasure, but most of the time trash is trash. Not even good enough for a newbee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha View Post
...knowing the shit and abuse I regularly take from a minority here for having the "audacity" to pass comment on quality in the past, the thought of that being a formal process decided by an admin as you suggest, sends a shiver down my spine.
That's why you are paid the big bucks. Seriously though if it was all of the owners no one could point a finger directly. Also, most of you have been here since 2006 and I bet as a group you could collectively get it right 95% of the time. Cause for the greater good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisofmel View Post
well on the auctions that start at $1 and 72 hour time between bids. the 5% would still produce a long ass auction. all the $1 increases from $1 to $20 are above the 5%. maybe on those each new bid must increase by $1. so like first first bid $1 next bid would have to increase it $2 to $3, next bid would have to increase $3 to $5, next bid increase $4 to $9 and so on.
Exactly. For lower priced auctions even setting the minimum increment at 25% could still have the auction running for weeks. A high percentage of a little is still a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee man View Post
I agree that snail auctions are annoying. But what would a new section do about it?
Another filter. Occasionally I would be interested in some of the auctions here if they were not so bloody long. I'd also find myself bidding for sport. It would be section that I would visit regularly. At least there would be a fun factor. Alternatively, we could start a section call "fortnights".

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru View Post
Sell your car, your kidz or something, but don't auction off your best names to us lot.
Winner of the best one liner of this thread.
Old 24th January 2013, 01:02 PM

squirrel is a name known to all
squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all

I would not expect a premium certification system to work unless the people doing the assessment are paid.
Old 24th January 2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
I would not expect a premium certification system to work unless the people doing the assessment are paid.
Not suggesting it would be perfect, but must be something better than this. I don't believe mods are paid on other forums and they have such sections. When I first started domaining I can only say that I would regularly visit those type of sections on other forums. They might look different now than they did then, but the logic is still there. The filter provided value. I can only speak from experience.

Really only offering suggestions, here. I don't know the right or perfect answer. Obviously the owners must decide if the reward is worth the work. I might feel differently on the other side.
Old 24th January 2013, 01:33 PM

squirrel is a name known to all
squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all

Quote:
Not suggesting it would be perfect, but must be something better than this. I don't believe mods are paid on other forums and they have such sections. When I first started domaining I can only say that I would regularly visit those type of sections on other forums. They might look different now than they did then, but the logic is still there. The filter provided value. I can only speak from experience.

Really only offering suggestions, here. I don't know the right or perfect answer. Obviously the owners must decide if the reward is worth the work. I might feel differently on the other side.
Sure. It's not a bad idea at all. I know what you mean, even namepros's high priced subforums was(still is?) pretty active a few years back.

The only diff. between here and dnforum/namepros is that we have to deal with translation/meaning, not a small task and I would not expect a group of people to do this job unless they're compensated.

Maybe something like this : 500$ reserve and up subforum. 1 year old account, 200 posts threshold to submit a domain for consideration. 5% to IDNF if it sells.