IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th January 2013, 01:26 AM

squirrel is a name known to all
squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all
Verisign Q4 2012 earnings conference call

highlights

On new TLDs Timing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidzos
Also by way of update, in December, ICANN completed its prioritization draw for processing applications related to its new gTLD program. As expected, ICANN gave priority to internationalized domain name transliterations. As you may recall, 12 of our 14 applications were for IDN versions of .com and .net. Based on ICANN's current timeline, we are not likely to see revenue from this opportunity until 2014.

On IDNs and foreign markets as a vector of growth
Quote:
Thank you, George. Before opening the call to your questions, I would like to use our strategic framework and its 4 areas of focus to frame how we think about the business. These 4 areas are to protect, grow, innovate and manage the business.

Second, growth. We will continue to see growth in the following ways: expansion of our existing businesses through focused marketing programs that target .com/.net zone growth, particularly in emerging international markets; by extending our brand and serving new markets through the IDNs for which we have applied; by extending our high-reliability platform to underpin new brand and generic TLDs, including our approximately 220 new gTLD customers; by continuing to scale and grow our NIA business; and by leveraging our patent portfolio to both generate revenue and support our business strategy.

Quote:
(Answer to a question on incremental operating margins)
And Phil, this is Jim. Let me just add, too. I think you mentioned how we're looking at margins and expense given the growth initiatives that we have. Let me just add to what George said that the growth initiatives that I mentioned, so for example expanding our existing businesses through focused marketing programs, that's baked into the budget and obviously baked into the forecast and the guidance that we gave. We have invested in marketing programs over the years. They are more focused going forward. We're targeting geographies where we think there's real growth opportunity for the .com/.net zone. The IDNs, we have made -- we've already made the investments in the application fees, as you know, in early 2012. And the support that we'll be providing in terms of back-end registry services for the 220 customers that we signed up, we do have something of an advantage, having been a registry in operation for a long time and having supported multiple TLDs over all of those years, .com, .net, .tv, .cc, several others that VeriSign supports. So we've built something called Name Store. So basically, we have a tremendous amount of experience in expanding up and operating multiple TLDs within our existing platform. So I think that gives us something of an advantage and that there's a something we've invested in, we've built and we have operational and we know how to do. NIA, of course, is something we've been investing in for over 2 years now, and we're optimizing that business. And I talked about our patent portfolio, and that's something new. We never really exploited it before. But essentially, the investments in those areas, the substantial investments have been made. And I think we've been consistently clear, but let me do it again, about mergers and acquisitions. We don't believe that M&A is a strategy. We don't see any M&A on our horizon. If an opportunity presented itself that helps us accelerate our business strategy, certainly, we'd look at that. But that's not part of our plan. So I hope that bit of color gives you a little more insight into how to think about expenses, margins, and growth opportunities through 2013.

On new TLDs Timing and Pricing ALL RELEVANT
Quote:
Question : I just had a couple. So could you maybe help me clarify something in terms of the timing of new gTLDs? Because it looks like ICANN will be approving your foreign language .com transliterations a little bit earlier, at least in what we'd expected. From the website, it looks like possibly early June. So I guess, is that correct? And if so, when do you expect to actually go live? And then just lastly, how should we think about pricing on the foreign language transliterations?

Answer from Pat Kane: Sure. So as far as the timing goes, the way that the -- this is Pat, the way that the -- the way ICANN has laid out the process, it is mechanically possible for new gTLDs to go sometime in Q3. But there's still many outstanding items to be completed, and so I think it's more towards the end of the year. And just recently, Steve Crocker, the Chairman of the Board for ICANN, has indicated that it would be more towards the end of the year. So while it's possible, I think it's going to be, like you said, towards the end of the year. So that is -- and as far as pricing goes, it's not really -- it's not the same boundaries as the .com contract does, so we can basically set the pricing, and we're still evaluating what that pricing looks like.

Additional answer from Bidzos: Yes, just for clarity, the .com contract is unique in that the Cooperative Agreement between the Department of Commerce and VeriSign exists for that TLD only. .net is only between VeriSign and ICANN. All of the new applications that we've made in ICANN's new gTLD program and the other domains that we operate are strictly based on contractual relationships between ICANN and VeriSign and are not subject to any price limitations, such as the ones that were imposed in the renewal by the Department of Commerce for.com. And as Pat said, we're still evaluating how we'll be pricing those IDNs. But just like every other applicant in the new gTLD program, we have complete flexibility in how we price them and whatever pricing increases we choose to bring in over time.
Old 25th January 2013, 01:51 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: Verisign Q4 2012 earnings conference call

Asshole!

It is a negotiation until the contract is signed.
Old 25th January 2013, 01:55 AM

squirrel is a name known to all
squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck View Post
Asshole!

It is a negotiation until the contract is signed.
Shows how little respect ICANN commands
Old 26th January 2013, 08:09 PM

Avtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the rough

Verisign is also thinking about ways to monetize their patent portfolio: heads-up-competing-registries-verisign-might-start-asserting-its-patents.

The price cap on .com domains may be good for domainers in general, but it is making Verisign hungry in a way that IDNers may find a bit worrisome.

Avtal
Old 27th January 2013, 11:47 AM
ком.ком コム.コム

555 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avtal View Post
The price cap on .com domains may be good for domainers in general, but it is making Verisign hungry in a way that IDNers may find a bit worrisome.
How?
Old 27th January 2013, 11:54 AM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 555 View Post
How?

Seems that they have asserted that their ICANN .com pricing agreement does not apply to gTLD .com.
Old 27th January 2013, 12:08 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

555 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc View Post
Seems that they have asserted that their ICANN .com pricing agreement does not apply to gTLD .com.
From my understanding IDN's only got a bit more important for verisign then the as is important status they had prior.

- They now can't charge anything more then the $7.85 for ascii.com until at least 2018

- The only .com names they can continue increasing prices on are the IDN domains

If the above is correct i am not sure i see where is this in any way negative?

It may cost registrants a few more cents every year on every renewal but i think with verisign being a public company and idn's being the expected engine of growth then surely with the recent contract restrictions they had they will only do more, not less to advance and insure idn's succeed in the markets important to them/markets with user interest etc

Last edited by 555; 27th January 2013 at 12:09 PM..
Old 27th January 2013, 01:59 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 555 View Post
From my understanding IDN's only got a bit more important for verisign then the as is important status they had prior.

- They now can't charge anything more then the $7.85 for ascii.com until at least 2018

- The only .com names they can continue increasing prices on are the IDN domains

If the above is correct i am not sure i see where is this in any way negative?

It may cost registrants a few more cents every year on every renewal but i think with verisign being a public company and idn's being the expected engine of growth then surely with the recent contract restrictions they had they will only do more, not less to advance and insure idn's succeed in the markets important to them/markets with user interest etc
QUOTE: "All of the new applications that we've made in ICANN's new gTLD program and the other domains that we operate are strictly based on contractual relationships between ICANN and VeriSign and are not subject to any price limitations, such as the ones that were imposed in the renewal by the Department of Commerce for.com.
Old 27th January 2013, 02:37 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Two possibilities.

iDN.IDN versions of IDN.com either become relevant or they don't.

Probably not such a big deal either way as long as we get Resolution.
Old 28th January 2013, 01:47 AM

sbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enough

I think I understand the legalese here...
verisign can price the new gtlds as it wants etc...

But wouldn't it be odd to charge more than the net/net 6.25 or so to registrars as is current for coms/nets ?

I think the number crunchers want to treat the new idn.idn as new found territory and not as extensions of the 1.3 million (est) idn.com's .

oh well, I will hand reg more names, rather than double up at $25 per.

s/
Old 28th January 2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbe18 View Post
I think I understand the legalese here...
verisign can price the new gtlds as it wants etc...But wouldn't it be odd to charge more than the net/net 6.25 or so to registrars as is current for coms/nets ?

I think the number crunchers want to treat the new idn.idn as new found territory and not as extensions of the 1.3 million (est) idn.com's . oh well, I will hand reg more names, rather than double up at $25 per.
Verising may come in at the low end to build their new gTLD market share, then move prices up once demand builds and sites are up and established.