IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th January 2013, 03:58 PM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about
Angry Twitter still can't deal with IDNs properly - drop me out

If you type an IDN in a tweet, it just ignores it, doesn't know its a link.

e.g. เชียงใหม่.com or www.เชียงใหม่.com

Complete failure.

The only way I have found to get Twitter to recognize it as a valid domain name is to write it as http://www.เชียงใหม่.com

So Twitter then recognizes it as a valid URL, but then it bloody well displays it in the tweet as punycode.

For God's sake, IDNs have been around 12 years, and Twitter one of the biggest few websites in the world and they still can't handle IDNs properly?

Drop me out
Old 26th January 2013, 04:18 PM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about
Re: Twitter still can't deal with IDNs properly - drop me out

Facebook does slightly better ....

เชียงใหม่.com - puts a grey box below saying http://invalid.invalid/, so big fail
www.เชียงใหม่.com - same as above, so big fail
http://www.เชียงใหม่.com - that ACTUALLY works, displaying in unicode.

So out of 6 tests of IDN domains in Facebook and Twitter, only one succeeded. Marvellous.
Old 26th January 2013, 04:20 PM

We all like to say "IDN are just normal domain names" but unfortunately they are not, because it is up to apps to deal with them properly, and this process is apparently taking forever
Old 26th January 2013, 05:03 PM

Man is an unknown quantity at this point

Old 26th January 2013, 05:13 PM

Avtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the rough

For me, the biggest disappointment is gmail. You still can't use IDNs in the recipient's address. So for instance gmail won't recognize 1234@пример.com as a valid address; you have to give the address in punycode.

(I realize that it will be a long time before unicode to the left of the @ sign works correctly, but there is no reason for unicode to the right of the @ sign to fail).

Avtal
Old 26th January 2013, 05:26 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

555 has disabled reputation

If anyone with decent writing abilities want to write the contact person that handles the IDN Universal acceptance work: bart.boswinkel@icann.org

A couple links on the universal acceptance work:

"The ALAC advises that it should include but not be limited to the 5 areas identified by the JIG Report on UA of IDNs:-

a) Browsers and DNS Lookup tools and components

b) Network infrastructure, hosting and email providers

c) Network management and security tools

d) Applications and databases (where domains, email addresses and/or URLs represents a data object maintained, e.g. user profiles, contact information, search engines, etc.)

e) Registries, Registrars and RIR systems. "

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...OqEMfwGH5RIEOw

https://community.icann.org/display/...rkspace+-+2012
Old 26th January 2013, 05:49 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

they will end up as relevant as Apple!
Old 26th January 2013, 07:49 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck View Post
they will end up as relevant as Apple!
Next trick is supposed to be the iTV but not many thinking that is going to be easy or even successful.

I think the 'Dick Tracy' wristwatch model might be something to give them some inspiration.

Last edited by bwhhisc; 26th January 2013 at 07:50 PM..
Old 26th January 2013, 08:04 PM

Avtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc View Post
I think the 'Dick Tracy' wristwatch model might be something to give them some inspiration.
Maybe, but who wears a wristwatch anymore?

Avtal
Old 26th January 2013, 08:35 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

I haven't worn one for years much to the annoyance of my wife.
Old 26th January 2013, 08:38 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Next trick is supposed to be the iTV but not many thinking that is going to be easy or even successful.

I think they pretty much proved they cannot compete with Samsung so why take them on in their strongest product range?

Perhaps they could take the Samsung blue print for a Smart TV, remove most of the functionality, cut the screen size in half whilst sticking a big Apple Logo in the middle and trying to charge twice the price.

Or better they could identify some local manufacturer in a backward 3rd World Country, perhaps, Burma, patent the intellectual property on their existing product, buy their entire production, wack a big Apple Logo on it, and then throw several billion pounds of TV marketing at it.

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 26th January 2013 at 08:46 PM..
Old 26th January 2013, 08:53 PM

welkin will become famous soon enoughwelkin will become famous soon enoughwelkin will become famous soon enoughwelkin will become famous soon enoughwelkin will become famous soon enoughwelkin will become famous soon enoughwelkin will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avtal View Post
Interesting story about that:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...orruption.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck View Post
I think they pretty much proved they cannot compete with Samsung
‽ In China, Samsung has 29% market share and Apple has 22% (and that's without Apple using China Mobile). Apple has $137 billion sitting in the bank.

Last edited by welkin; 26th January 2013 at 09:32 PM..
Old 26th January 2013, 10:58 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Avtal
I don't, but if I could have a smart phone, computer, TV and who knows what else rolled into a small watchlike package i might consider.
Old 27th January 2013, 01:02 AM

Quote:
I don't, but if I could have a smart phone, computer, TV and who knows what else rolled into a small watchlike package i might consider.
Your eyes must be younger, and your fingers finer, than mine.

Avtal
Old 27th January 2013, 05:39 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Old 27th January 2013, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by welkin View Post
Thanks! Here's another: in-russia-a-watch-vanishes-up-orthodox-leaders-sleeve.html

Avtal
Old 27th January 2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Avtal
Nah, it's simple....it's connected to the microchip that is implanted in your head and the 'mini' screen (similar to rear view mirror that bicycle riders wear) that provides the visual screen. That keeps your hands free for driving.
Old 27th January 2013, 02:10 PM
Veteran

Quote:

Avtal
Or maybe he has honed his skills on an iPhone!!!

Ah, perhaps if I were younger.
Old 27th January 2013, 02:50 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by welkin View Post

‽ In China, Samsung has 29% market share and Apple has 22% (and that's without Apple using China Mobile). Apple has $137 billion sitting in the bank.
Yes, but most of the data is historical, a bit like their product offerings.

On the plus side, ZERO manufacturing capacity to worry about.

As for China, you would expect some success in their home market.
Old 27th January 2013, 03:53 PM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

I agree on Apple, but I don't follow you guys on Facebook. It's very easy to change a phone, but Facebook is everywhere now and everyone is there, not an easy switch.

Apple biggest fear is coming true. People will not pay an extra $300 for a logo any much longer:

http://www.informationweek.com/mobil...hone/240147003

Also, I think Facebook handles IDNs perfectly. I have an app working on an IDN that has a very complex integration with Facebook and all works fine:

http://xn--notcia-5va.net
https://www.facebook.com/noticia.net