IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th February 2013, 03:56 PM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about
ThaiDomains.com

I'd just like to let members know that we've launched www.ThaiDomains.com as a sales platform for Thai IDN domains. The site is fully bi-lingual and we have employed a Thai national to do customer support, including phone support.

The site hasn't been "styled" yet, but its fully functional, so if anyone wants to list their domains on the site, we welcome that. The criteria for domains we accept are pretty simple:

1) Thai language
2) .com
3) Non-adult
4) Good quality.

Obviously "good quality" is subjective, but one way to judge a "good quality" domain is just to say "I'm keeping this domain until I get a good offer. Its too good to even consider dropping it."

So if you have good Thai domains please apply at:
http://www.thaidomains.com/thai-domain-sellers-guide

It doesn't matter if its one domain or a hundred, just so long as they meet the criteria and you are looking to sell. The Thai version of the site is aimed at end users looking to buy Thai domains e.g. the home page text in Thai is very different to the English text.

Sorry for putting an "advert" into this section, but I think the site will benefit members here, and I think I deserve one free advert here after contributing since 2006

Please PM me if you have any questions.
Old 14th February 2013, 04:10 PM

monkmonkey is on a distinguished roadmonkmonkey is on a distinguished roadmonkmonkey is on a distinguished roadmonkmonkey is on a distinguished roadmonkmonkey is on a distinguished roadmonkmonkey is on a distinguished road
Re: ThaiDomains.com

Well done
"I love it when a plan comes together"John "Hannibal" Smith
"The only person who could take down J.R was J.R." -John Ross

"Larry Hagman is now God"- Me
Old 14th February 2013, 04:22 PM

squirrel is a name known to all
squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all

Well done Lee, good luck with that project
Old 15th February 2013, 12:36 AM

has2hands is on a distinguished roadhas2hands is on a distinguished roadhas2hands is on a distinguished roadhas2hands is on a distinguished roadhas2hands is on a distinguished roadhas2hands is on a distinguished road

Site looks great..well done.

Thai language pages too...killer stuff.
Old 15th February 2013, 01:03 AM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

Great stuff. Congrats. Good luck.

Do you have any plan to promote it?
Old 15th February 2013, 05:49 AM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose View Post
Great stuff. Congrats. Good luck.

Do you have any plan to promote it?
Yes, very much so, but want to coincide with news of .คอม going into the root. Be the perfect time to promote it, when there is a buzz around the "new" .คอม domains in Thailand.

Anyone on the planet have an idea when .คอม is going into the root?
Old 15th February 2013, 08:57 AM

bumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura about

Well done. How about using an IDN for the Thai version?
Old 15th February 2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee man View Post
Well done. How about using an IDN for the Thai version?
Thought about it seriously. Regged a couple of appropriate names. Tested IDNs in major apps (discussed in other threads) and they were found wanting still.

When these sites deliver a good, consistent user experience with IDNs, I'll reconsider. Until then, we'll just use ThaiDomains.com

Co-branding creates other complications but the main reason we didn't do it was just plain inconsistent (or bad / terrible) user experience with IDNs in the major web apps.

Can't believe I'm still saying that in 2013 but there you go. Goes a long way to explaining slow end user sales of IDNs IMHO.
Old 15th February 2013, 01:01 PM

bumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru View Post
Thought about it seriously. Regged a couple of appropriate names. Tested IDNs in major apps (discussed in other threads) and they were found wanting still.
Well, I get your reasons but...

- It kind of weakens your point when you try to convince Thai end users to use Thai domain namese while you use an English name to promote them

- What you describe is the chicken / egg dilemma we're trapped in: As long as they are not supported they won't be used and as long as they aren't used they won't be supported. How on earth is this supposed to change if even the IDN believers don't use them?
Old 15th February 2013, 02:46 PM

squirrel is a name known to all
squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all

Quote:
Yes, very much so, but want to coincide with news of .คอม going into the root. Be the perfect time to promote it, when there is a buzz around the "new" .คอม domains in Thailand.

Anyone on the planet have an idea when .คอม is going into the root?
Late April at the earliest
Old 17th February 2013, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee man View Post
Well, I get your reasons but...

- It kind of weakens your point when you try to convince Thai end users to use Thai domain namese while you use an English name to promote them

- What you describe is the chicken / egg dilemma we're trapped in: As long as they are not supported they won't be used and as long as they aren't used they won't be supported. How on earth is this supposed to change if even the IDN believers don't use them?
I've done as much as anyone in Thailand or beyond to promote IDNs. Our IDN games site, launched in 2007, generated well over 100 million pageviews, and caused many many Thais to launch their own IDN sites. That the big social websites can't be bothered to deal with IDNs properly is really sad. Do you really think me launching another IDN website is going to change how facebook / twitter / google adsense deal with IDNs?

I sometimes wonder if the success of the games site hasn't harmed IDNs in Thailand. The people that followed us and launched their own games sites or web shops with IDNs, look what happens. They put an Adsense ad up and its shows as xn--, they start tweeting about it and it shows as xn--, they mention it on facebook and until recently, it was showing as xn-- .... etc. etc. .... is this going to cause anyone to fall in love with their "own language" domains? I don't think so.

I agree, its not a great advert for IDNs when a site set up to sell IDNs uses an ASCII domain. But that's not my fault is it. I'll dual-brand when the rest of the web community shows some commitment to consistently displaying IDNs in unicode.

It goes back to Andre's "root cause". Very few people in the west give a f**k. And IDNs rely on a western programming infrastructure.

If it was simple chicken and egg, the problems would all have disappeared by now.

The issue is the chicken and egg are on separate continents and speak different languages.
Old 17th February 2013, 07:53 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Yeah, and most the chickens would happily eat their own eggs!

Not that most of them have been fertilized in the first place.
Old 17th February 2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
I've done as much as anyone in Thailand or beyond to promote IDNs.
I know. That's why I was so surprised.

Quote:
I sometimes wonder if the success of the games site hasn't harmed IDNs in Thailand. The people that followed us and launched their own games sites or web shops with IDNs, look what happens. They put an Adsense ad up and its shows as xn--, they start tweeting about it and it shows as xn--, they mention it on facebook and until recently, it was showing as xn-- .... etc. etc. .... is this going to cause anyone to fall in love with their "own language" domains? I don't think so.
Yeah, punycode is a real pain in the arse. It totally defeats the point of having domain names that can be easily read, typed and remembered by natives.

Quote:
I agree, its not a great advert for IDNs when a site set up to sell IDNs uses an ASCII domain. But that's not my fault is it. I'll dual-brand when the rest of the web community shows some commitment to consistently displaying IDNs in unicode.
I can understand your frustration and I didn't mean to blame you. Just wanted to ask a somewhat obvious question.

Quote:
It goes back to Andre's "root cause". Very few people in the west give a f**k. And IDNs rely on a western programming infrastructure.
Yeah, but what would cause them to give a fuck? A critical mass demanding internationalized programming infrastructure. Then we're back to chicken / egg.

Quote:
The issue is the chicken and egg are on separate continents and speak different languages.
That sums it up pretty well.