IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | idntools | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th February 2013, 09:14 PM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to thegenius1
Why I Focus on the USA and .Com?? It's called Consumption!!

More from the Rickster

Afternoon Folks!!

I am often reminded by domainers that there is a world out the USA. That's fine and you may even be surprised to know that I recognize that and have visited my share of countries around the world. But what folks don't seem to recognize is how to fish! You go where the fish are! DUH! Where they are biting. Where they are hungry. Were they are big and diversified.

So here is a tidbit of PROOF of what I see and how I see it and why I focus on the USA and other ENGLISH speaking countries as it pertains to sales and domain names and the value of a domain name.

Lets look at the .Me registry. Please explain how one country in the world of 350 or so can be responsible for 53% of all their registrations when EVERYONE had the same opportunity? 53%!! That is a REAL number. Why do more than half of ALL their registrations come from the USA? Why so disproportionate? Why?

53% of .Me domains are registered in the US;
46% of .Me domains are registered by businesses;
That .Me is the most popular domain choice for startups after .com;
There are still 35% of three-character .me domain names available!
Interpret that into Dollars. Or Euros or Yens or whatevers.

See the problem is I see an answer where others don't. I choose to compete in the arena with the largest fish. Why the USA??? It comes down to one word.

CONSUMPTION!!

The USA consumes MORE than the rest of the world combined on MANY things. Many! Many!!!! So that is why I don't dabble in IDN or country codes and only lightly in non-dotcoms. It's fine for those that do but it is not in my DNA for reasons I am about to explain. The numbers guide me.

.... read the rest here

http://www.ricksblog.com/my_weblog/2...mption.html#tp

Last edited by thegenius1; 19th February 2013 at 09:16 PM..
Old 19th February 2013, 09:29 PM

Emil is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Why I Focus on the USA and .Com?? It's called Consumption!!

well - if the consumption is the basis of his argument, then he is in for a rude awakening. It is the weakest of all arguments to put forward, especially going forward when BRICS and more importantly China alone, will soon overtake US when it comes to consumption.
Old 19th February 2013, 09:34 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Consumption?

Meningitis Tuberculosis?
Old 19th February 2013, 09:38 PM

blackpower will become famous soon enoughblackpower will become famous soon enoughblackpower will become famous soon enoughblackpower will become famous soon enoughblackpower will become famous soon enoughblackpower will become famous soon enoughblackpower will become famous soon enough

Count Russia and India out of brics.
Russia successfully has shrank to fat-dripping Moscow encircled by poor hungry and violent provinces.
India has some not-so-peaceful neighbours.
I have been advocating all along a theory that eventually USA will withdraw from the world to Americas and both Americas will become an American Federation.
So, I think he is really a visionary.
Old 19th February 2013, 09:48 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpower View Post
Count Russia and India out of brics.
Russia successfully has shrank to fat-dripping Moscow encircled by poor hungry and violent provinces.
India has some not-so-peaceful neighbours.
I have been advocating all along a theory that eventually USA will withdraw from the world to Americas and both Americas will become an American Federation.
So, I think he is really a visionary.
So everyone that side of the pond is going to end up speaking Spanish?

I think you have a slight disadavantage in as much as all the others distrust the US and its motives.

The chances of making an Americas Federation work in my book are less than 1 %, and that is being generous!

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 19th February 2013 at 09:50 PM..
Old 19th February 2013, 09:54 PM

123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road

most of google's revenue comes from outside the us and most of the parking revenue will soon if it doesn't already.

as a matter of fact china and japan are HUGE consumer markets and india will be in the future.

i think it's fine if someone wants to focus on US dotcoms but the arguments that only the US is the only big consumer is pretty weak. In addition the .com stats are misleading since .com does not equal US. .com is used in many countries. there are many non-english .coms

Last edited by 123; 19th February 2013 at 10:01 PM..
Old 19th February 2013, 09:58 PM

blackpower will become famous soon enoughblackpower will become famous soon enoughblackpower will become famous soon enoughblackpower will become famous soon enoughblackpower will become famous soon enoughblackpower will become famous soon enoughblackpower will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck View Post
So everyone that side of the pond is going to end up speaking Spanish?
If you are speaking of Europe, Europe is changing and not towards better place. Migrants come to Europe to stay; I don't know what language europeans end up speaking... I just saw a video from france, in some sities/suburbs one can barely see a white face; I am sure in GB things are same. Being from US and immigrant myself I am not against immigrants from developing countries but the difference is that when they come to US they pretty much accept the new culture (they better!); Not the same when they come to Europe, from what I can see.
So when Gorby started that mess, that was just the beginning, folks.
Draw your own conclusions.
Old 19th February 2013, 10:01 PM
Veteran

Quote:
If you are speaking of Europe, Europe is changing and not towards better place. Migrants come to Europe to stay; I don't know what language europeans end up speaking... I just saw a video from france, in some sities/suburbs one can barely see a white face; I am sure in GB things are same. Being from US and immigrant myself I am not against immigrants from developing countries but the difference is that when they come to US they pretty much accept the new culture (they better!); Not the same when they come to Europe, from what I can see.
So when Gorby started that mess, that was just the beginning, folks.
Draw your own conclusions.
The US got itself a Culture?

Well, you learn something everyday.
Old 19th February 2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
The US got itself a Culture?

Well, you learn something everyday.
Yes, I think you can call it Culture. This is why people from all over the world go to US. To be free, no?
Old 19th February 2013, 10:05 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Yes, I think you can call it Culture. This is why people from all over the world go to US. To be free, no?
No, idea. I get ten emails a day about Green Cards. Never read one of them!
Old 19th February 2013, 10:07 PM

Quote:
No, idea. I get ten emails a day about Green Cards. Never read one of them!
Don't read them, they are scam
Old 19th February 2013, 10:09 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Don't read them, they are scam
90% of what comes from your side of the Pond is a scam.
Old 19th February 2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
90% of what comes from your side of the Pond is a scam.
I want to correct myself slightly. Rick is not a good visionary imho; he is a great business man who feels where the money is NOW.
Was he a visionary, he would have invested in idns that finally has become a reality, but he was not.
Idns was still a risk; and it turned out after these 10 years that not all languages are the same, that some are better then others long term; Still too many uncertainties. Real Business does not like uncertainty.
This is why he is right about US. He has his own niche and it's all right.
He is a great guy still

Last edited by blackpower; 19th February 2013 at 10:27 PM..
Old 19th February 2013, 10:28 PM
Veteran

Quote:
I want to correct myself slightly. Rick is not a good visionary imho; he is a great business man who feels where the money is NOW.
Was he a visionary, he would have invested in idns that finally has become a reality, but he was not.
Idns was still a risk; and it turned out after these 10 years that not all languages are the same, that some are better then others long term; Still too many uncertainties. Real Business does not like uncertainty.
This is why he is right about US. He has his own niche and it's all right.
He is a great guy still
So instead of hanging on for uncertain future gains, we should all be making a killing following him into dot ME.

Well, I am glad we got that cleared up.
Old 19th February 2013, 10:30 PM

Quote:
So instead of hanging on for uncertain future gains, we should all be making a killing following him into dot ME.

Frankly, I missed this .me part. I can't believe he is serious about it
Old 19th February 2013, 11:37 PM

123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

did he say that we should go into montenegro?
Old 20th February 2013, 12:48 AM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegenius1 View Post
Please explain how one country in the world of 350 or so can be responsible for 53% of all their registrations when EVERYONE had the same opportunity? 53%!! That is a REAL number. Why do more than half of ALL their registrations come from the USA? Why so disproportionate? Why?
Please allow me. "mé" in Portuguese is the sound a goat makes, and I am pretty sure it must mean something funny on other languages also.

So, the answer to your agonizing doubt is: United States is, by far, the biggest English spoken country in the World.

Now calm down Rick and dump your .me while they're hot. Remember .mobi?
Old 20th February 2013, 12:57 AM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

Was just reading this on the economist:

http://www.economist.com/blogs/graph...daily-chart-11

Someone brief Rick on this plz.
Old 20th February 2013, 02:02 AM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emil View Post
well - if the consumption is the basis of his argument, then he is in for a rude awakening. It is the weakest of all arguments to put forward, especially going forward when BRICS and more importantly China alone, will soon overtake US when it comes to consumption.
Crazy stats for USA Domain Consumption.

Tens of millions of little lottery tickets.
Old 20th February 2013, 09:26 AM

Clotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enough

I stopped reading this thread after the first 4 words.

I really wish you would stop posting this crap. The man in a narcissist. It doesn't matter if you agree with him or laugh at him. It all feeds his disease just the same.

Ultimately he is of zero consequence and it would be best for us as well as him if he were treated as such.