IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > New gTLDs

New gTLDs IDN or ascii, use this forum to discuss the new gTLDs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd February 2013, 04:01 PM

squirrel is a name known to all
squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all
Arrow Important : Read before April 26th

Go to the link below and follow the instructions if you haven't done so already:

http://www.idnforums.com/forums/show...d=1#post211752

In a nutshell : We ask ICANN to force registries to publicly release their aliasing plans as part of a new requirement called "Public Interest Commitments".

PM me with any questions you have or if you need help.

Cheers
Old 22nd February 2013, 07:42 PM

tee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enough
Re: Important : Read before April 26th

I will try and get something posted this weekend when I have a few minutes that are uninterrupted.

also I thought your post from the other thread would help below so folks don't have to go back and forth, albeit it might be beneficial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
Thanks Clipper, RD. Guru sorry I sent my comment before reading your input.

I changed my comment to refer to registrant control instead of domain resolution for the confusion part and I took out the pricing comment.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guys please take the time to post a comment

Steps

1) Go to the first few posts of this thread for some inspiration.

All you have to do is come up with a short text that essentially says :
registries should divulge their IDN aliasing plans.

It can be a one liner such as :
Registries should be required to discuss their IDN Aliasing plans as part of their Public Interest Commitments

You can write your comment in your native language.

2) Click Here to email your comment to ICANN

+For the title use : "Aliasing", or "Public Interest Commitments" or "IDNS", or combination of these words.
+For the body of your email : copy-paste your comment
+Send

3) Post in this thread once you have sent your comment

Old 23rd February 2013, 04:41 AM

Avtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the rough

Thanks squirrel!

Here are links that might be useful to include in comments.

Public commitment to aliasing by Chuck Gomes of Verisign (in December 2009): http://forum.icann.org/lists/gnso-idng/msg00232.html

Letter to ICANN from the Asia Pacific Top Level Domain Association explaining the need for aliasing in order to avoid user confusion: http://www.icann.org/en/news/corresp...ann-01oct12-en

A web page from CIRA (the .ca ccTLD registry) explaining how they implemented aliasing for second-level domains: http://cira.ca/why-ca/french-ca

Avtal
Old 23rd February 2013, 07:18 PM

squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all

Thanks Avtal,

Have you sent your comment ?
Old 25th February 2013, 02:28 AM

http://forum.icann.org/lists/comment...ement-05feb13/

Only 3 comments so far guys..
Old 25th February 2013, 01:09 PM

bumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura about

Comment sent.

It would be nice to have some comments in languages other than English.

Arabic - g, basel, muhammad mustafa, Fka200
Chinese - markits, mgrohan, idner, seesawgame ...?
Japanese - Ryu ...?
Hindi - drbiohealth ...?
Korean - Hanidn ...?
Hebrew - 555, thefabfive ...?
Russian - Dktoinc, blastfromthepast, Dimkin ...?
Thai - Domainguru, Traffic Domainer ...?

Come on, guys! This is important for all of us.
Old 25th February 2013, 01:43 PM
Administrator

bramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to bramiozo Send a message via Skype™ to bramiozo

mail sent
Old 25th February 2013, 02:19 PM

thanks guys.

* You may or may not have to confirm sending your comment by clicking on a link sent to you automatically by ICANN. The ICANN email may be in your junk/spam folder.
Old 26th February 2013, 01:41 PM

Muhammad Mustafa will become famous soon enoughMuhammad Mustafa will become famous soon enoughMuhammad Mustafa will become famous soon enoughMuhammad Mustafa will become famous soon enoughMuhammad Mustafa will become famous soon enoughMuhammad Mustafa will become famous soon enoughMuhammad Mustafa will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee man View Post
Comment sent.

Japanese - Ryu ...?
Hindi - drbiohealth ...?
Korean - Hanidn ...?

I've already sent my comment a couple of days ago
Old 26th February 2013, 02:58 PM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Comment sent.

Japanese - Ryu ...?
Hindi - drbiohealth ...?
Korean - Hanidn ...?

Does anyone at ICANN read Thai? If no, sounds kind of pointless writing in a language they can't actually read. And if I have to translate it into English for them ....... makes the exercise kind of stupid IMHO. Might as well just write in English and be done with it. Thoughts?
Old 26th February 2013, 04:08 PM

bumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru View Post
Does anyone at ICANN read Thai? If no, sounds kind of pointless writing in a language they can't actually read. And if I have to translate it into English for them ....... makes the exercise kind of stupid IMHO. Might as well just write in English and be done with it. Thoughts?
I have no idea. But internationalizion issues seem to be one of their main concerns. That's why IDNs went first. Commenting in various languages might underline that this an issue for people around that world rather than just American domainers.
Old 26th February 2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Please do write in Thai. ICANN staff has to send the board or whomever is in charge a comment summary/overview. The more they "sweat" to understand the comments, the more thought they will put into their executive summary (well, I would anyway). Also, anything to remind them of the internationalization of the domain name system is a good thing in my book.

In the past TD sent a comment in Thai. I've also seen comments in Chinese. As far as I know, staff doesn't ask the commenter to translate, they figure it out themselves.

(Personally I had hoped for a few Arabic comments, given that Fadi speaks the language.)
Old 26th February 2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
I have no idea. But internationalizion issues seem to be one of their main concerns. That's why IDNs went first. Commenting in various languages might underline that this an issue for people around that world rather than just American domainers.
+1
Old 26th February 2013, 04:37 PM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
Please do write in Thai. ICANN staff has to send the board or whomever is in charge a comment summary/overview. The more they "sweat" to understand the comments, the more thought they will put into their executive summary (well, I would anyway). Also, anything to remind them of the internationalization of the domain name system is a good thing in my book.

In the past TD sent a comment in Thai. I've also seen comments in Chinese. As far as I know, staff doesn't ask the commenter to translate, they figure it out themselves.

(Personally I had hoped for a few Arabic comments, given that Fadi speaks the language.)
I'm already sweating at the thought that "figure it out themselves" equates to Google Translate

Seriously, how else are they going to "figure it out"? Perhaps I should translate for them. The thought of GT garbling Thai into "nonsense language" kind of defeats the point of posting..... be interesting to learn what their policy is on language translation at all?!?
Old 26th February 2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
I'm already sweating at the thought that "figure it out themselves" equates to Google Translate

Seriously, how else are they going to "figure it out"? Perhaps I should translate for them. The thought of GT garbling Thai into "nonsense language" kind of defeats the point of posting..... be interesting to learn what their policy is on language translation at all?!?
You may be right. Plus Thai is not machine translation friendly.. I don't know, I guess you can sprinkle a few english words here and there ??
Old 26th February 2013, 04:53 PM

Can't hurt to comment in both languages.
Old 26th February 2013, 10:36 PM

1h30 min before close time for this comment period
Old 26th February 2013, 11:25 PM

tee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tee1 View Post
Just sent one off hope it made it
edit: Should the thread be title "Read before February 26th?" or do we have a little more time?
Old 26th February 2013, 11:55 PM

The comment close 23:59 UTC .. that's in 4 minutes
Old 27th February 2013, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

I guess if Verisign don't do as promised and we stand to lose everything via "sunrise", someone will have to be ready to file an injunction within the Virginia court system. Might pay to research and line up an attorney in advance.