IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | idntools | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > Internationalized Domain Names > Internationalized Domain Name News

Internationalized Domain Name News Recent IDN related News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th February 2013, 01:46 PM

IdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished road
Talking Why Rick did not invest in idns.....

Morning Folks!!

I'm probably going to use terms or say a few things in this post that are wrong. 

That's because I personally don't believe it's worth the while for me to invest in foreign language .com domains (whatever domainers call those) or country code extension domains. 

Because in MY lifetime there is more opportunity to profit with dot com as an INVESTOR, even though as a speculator there is money to be made down the road with those, and great money to be made TODAY with businesses using those in certain DEFINED instances.

Just nowhere near what's coming with dot com as a quaint 20 year hobby of a few thousand people you may just be learning about TODAY...called "Domaining"...is transforming by the DAY into a new industry and asset class called eRealEstate.

And so I haven't researched those foreign language dot com or country code domain name topics in the depth I've researched the brand of dot com, which I personally believe is probably the most mind-branded concept in the history of mankind (that doesn't have a theology attached to it anyway).

Feel free to continue reading his post at:

http://www.ricksblog.com/my_weblog/2...-standard.html

Last edited by IdnHost; 25th February 2013 at 01:48 PM..
Old 25th February 2013, 01:59 PM

Clotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enough
Re: Why Rick did not invest in idns.....

Stop feeding the narcissist.
Old 25th February 2013, 02:05 PM

IdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: Why Rick did not invest in idns.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clotho View Post
Stop feeding the narcissist.
Feeding the narcissist would be leaving a post on his blog. What Im doing rather is pointing out Ricks views on idns to the idn community. But if that bothers you clotho, I can unsubscribe you from my mail list lol.
Old 25th February 2013, 02:10 PM

123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Feeding the narcissist would be leaving a post on his blog.
if you link to his blog this will happen sooner or later

I don't mind i find his views on other markets amusing, i think his blog isn't that bad it's just that you can't take everything serious what he says about foreign markets. he does have some good points though.

if we discuss all of his posts here on IDF we are stirring up the hornet's nest. lol

he seems to write about IDNs more often maybe because of our commentaries we may be increasing his idn post frequency.

Last edited by 123; 25th February 2013 at 02:20 PM..
Old 25th February 2013, 04:30 PM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Blogs are fine if you have something new to say each week. Unfortunately, Rick doesn't.

He coined the term eRealEstate 15 years ago and is still the only person using it. No wonder, its 4 syllables, and a shitter to type.

We get it. If you spend money on country code domains or worse, those ".coms in foreign languages" he is too lethargic to find a name for, you are a speculator not an INVESTOR. No real need to repeat it each week, even though it has become less true each week he's repeated it.

And what if you pour money into .mobi? What does that make you? Sits there on this throne shitting on ccTLDs and IDNs after trying every trick in the book to turn .mobi into something it wasn't i.e. useful.

He got into .com early and got in hard, hat's off to him. He got one thing right and very right. He's rich because of it and will stay rich till the day he dies. But he hasn't innovated in any way shape or form like FS does, just declared himself "The King" and keeps his website from 1996 to prove it.

Very reminiscent of some of the early oil tycoons, except thankfully they didn't have blogs.
Old 25th February 2013, 04:49 PM

squirrel is a name known to all
squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru View Post
Blogs are fine if you have something new to say each week. Unfortunately, Rick doesn't.

He coined the term eRealEstate 15 years ago and is still the only person using it. No wonder, its 4 syllables, and a shitter to type.

We get it. If you spend money on country code domains or worse, those ".coms in foreign languages" he is too lethargic to find a name for, you are a speculator not an INVESTOR. No real need to repeat it each week, even though it has become less true each week he's repeated it.

And what if you pour money into .mobi? What does that make you? Sits there on this throne shitting on ccTLDs and IDNs after trying every trick in the book to turn .mobi into something it wasn't i.e. useful.

He got into .com early and got in hard, hat's off to him. He got one thing right and very right. He's rich because of it and will stay rich till the day he dies. But he hasn't innovated in any way shape or form like FS does, just declared himself "The King" and keeps his website from 1996 to prove it.

Very reminiscent of some of the early oil tycoons, except thankfully they didn't have blogs.
you forgot to mention he did the weblo thing too :D
Old 25th February 2013, 05:38 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Yes, Rick made his money Speculating.

Hard is relative. It was expensive then and compared with quite a few Schwarz is a light weight. King of Lesotho perhaps.

None of the original dot com investors got a big slice of the pie, such as the likes of Andrew Snow.

Even Frank Schilling spends a lot of time pushing a huge portfolio of second and third tier terms.

I don't really wish to belittle their achievement, but both of them took their eye of the ball and invested in a lot of second rate shit. They both missed a huge opportunity and are still reluctant to admit it.

Actually, Rick is a likeable rogue. Its that prick Jeff Schneider or whatever his name is I would like to see duely humiliated. Mind you he might just be too thick to feel embarassment.

Quote:

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 25th February 2013 at 05:42 PM..
Old 25th February 2013, 08:35 PM

has2hands is on a distinguished roadhas2hands is on a distinguished roadhas2hands is on a distinguished roadhas2hands is on a distinguished roadhas2hands is on a distinguished roadhas2hands is on a distinguished road

that prick Jeff Schneider or whatever his name is I would like to see duely humiliated. Mind you he might just be too thick to feel embarassment.

thanks for the laugh!
Old 26th February 2013, 12:27 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Rick's new "joint ventures" leasing partner Danny Welch gets it. (quote below). I think most have at least caught onto the fact that IDNs are .com.

QUOTE: "Unlike the 1800 ".whatever" which I have stated I agree with Rick Schwartz they will almost all fizzle and play for second fiddle to .com the king...however, the foreign language .com's are a potential BONANZA of dollars to domainers.

Like a re-run of Bonanza that ol TV show, maybe? But here's what I see... every time you run a re-run of Bonanza or dupe the show to make it "new" in a new language and culture with SUBTITLES...even tho folks in that new country enjoy it, they clamor for the original to create new episodes right? Well, here that can happen because ENGLISH .com is all gone but folks are learning ENGLISH and trusting ".com" even in their non-English language.

Sounds like a win-win for everyone who puts dollars (or pesos, or yen or whatever) into the juggernaut that is "dot com"...no argument there".
Old 26th February 2013, 01:50 PM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc View Post
Rick's new "joint ventures" leasing partner Danny Welch gets it. (quote below). I think most have at least caught onto the fact that IDNs are .com.

QUOTE: "Unlike the 1800 ".whatever" which I have stated I agree with Rick Schwartz they will almost all fizzle and play for second fiddle to .com the king...however, the foreign language .com's are a potential BONANZA of dollars to domainers.

Like a re-run of Bonanza that ol TV show, maybe? But here's what I see... every time you run a re-run of Bonanza or dupe the show to make it "new" in a new language and culture with SUBTITLES...even tho folks in that new country enjoy it, they clamor for the original to create new episodes right? Well, here that can happen because ENGLISH .com is all gone but folks are learning ENGLISH and trusting ".com" even in their non-English language.

Sounds like a win-win for everyone who puts dollars (or pesos, or yen or whatever) into the juggernaut that is "dot com"...no argument there".
Crikey - Bonanza - even I don't go back that far. Can we use Little House on the Prairie instead please?

Or preferably, Family Guy
Old 26th February 2013, 02:05 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdnHost View Post
Feeding the narcissist would be leaving a post on his blog. What Im doing rather is pointing out Ricks views on idns to the idn community. But if that bothers you clotho, I can unsubscribe you from my mail list lol.
Those are my posts about IDNs on Ricks blog. He gets a lot of international readers as well, so a relevant place to put up the facts about idn.com, idn.idncom and the new gtlds.
Old 26th February 2013, 02:19 PM

bumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc View Post
Those are my posts about IDNs on Ricks blog. He gets a lot of international readers as well, so a relevant place to put up the facts about idn.com, idn.idncom and the new gtlds.
He's a moron and so are most of his followers. Waste of time trying to convince them.
Old 26th February 2013, 02:48 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

In the Kingdom of the Blind......
Old 26th February 2013, 02:51 PM

Jay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123 View Post
he seems to write about IDNs more often maybe because of our commentaries we may be increasing his idn post frequency.
That's it. A good blog post generates controversy and public discussion, which leads to increased views. It also results in user-generated content (through posting) and links, which lead to even more views. Increased views in turn may lead to increased sales of whatever the site is flogging (in this case, his joint ventures scheme). The guy knows what he's doing.
Old 26th February 2013, 03:23 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
That's it. A good blog post generates controversy and public discussion, which leads to increased views. It also results in user-generated content (through posting) and links, which lead to even more views. Increased views in turn may lead to increased sales of whatever the site is flogging (in this case, his joint ventures scheme). The guy knows what he's doing.
But seriously is anyone going to invest if they read the daily rant?
Old 26th February 2013, 03:26 PM

Rockruler is an unknown quantity at this pointRockruler is an unknown quantity at this point

IMO the more under-wraps IDNs are until aliasing the better... why introduce competition at this point. And I don't think "domainers" are our target market anyway. So really, who cares what the ascii domainer world thinks.
Old 26th February 2013, 03:29 PM

Jay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck View Post
But seriously is anyone going to invest if they read the daily rant?
I don't know, but the world is full of suckers.

Last edited by Jay; 26th February 2013 at 03:30 PM..
Old 26th February 2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
He can't write about IDNs that much. He doesn't even know the name for them yet ....

I kind of agree that having .coms in other languages helps strengthen the overall brand. Certainly helps lift it above any other gTLDs.

However, there is a limit to that effect. The limit being that in Thailand at least, people already prefer .com in their own language, not written as .com at all. In titles, in logos, Thais prefer to write as .คอม, even though it makes bugger all sense as a "web address" to date. The future in Thailand is not ".com", its ".คอม", and it always has been ".คอม". That's why I have always seen IDN.com in Thai as no more than a half-way house.

So sure, .com as a global brand will be strengthened. But not in the way Rick wants. He imagines a pyramid with ".com" at the top, and ".com in foreign languages" merely serving to reinforce that single pyramid he thinks he is king of.

When in fact, lots of rival ".com in foreign languages" pyramids will spring up from the foundations laid by IDN.com. And he ain't going to be king of any of those. And of that I am damned sure he has no clue about whatsoever.

He can call it speculation, but RD is right, he was speculating back in the day on ASCII .com. That he can now look back and call it investment just means he got the speculation by and large right.
Old 26th February 2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
He can't write about IDNs that much. He doesn't even know the name for them yet ....
You are assuming that he's trying to make a valid point or be informative. I think he's just talking out of his ass and he knows it. Wasn't he rattling on about the value of .me the other week? Just a case of him talking up his own investments and schemes.
Old 26th February 2013, 04:16 PM
Veteran

Quote:
You are assuming that he's trying to make a valid point or be informative. I think he's just talking out of his ass and he knows it. Wasn't he rattling on about the value of .me the other week? Just a case of him talking up his own investments and schemes.
now , that is what he does best.

particularly the shit he wishes to offload.