IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th March 2013, 05:56 AM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice
Post International SEO Gone Wrong: 7 Assumptions Can Ruin Your Program

http://searchenginewatch.com/article...n-Your-Program

English for India and Spanish for USA?! What do you think?
Old 15th March 2013, 06:17 AM

clipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the rough
Re: International SEO Gone Wrong: 7 Assumptions Can Ruin Your Program

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose View Post
http://searchenginewatch.com/article...n-Your-Program

English for India and Spanish for USA?! What do you think?
No, he is advocating non-English SEO across the board, on the basis of decreased competition:

Quote:
Consequently optimization for India is often done in a non-official and non-native language, English. There could be significantly less competition using a secondary language or you may be able to more accurately target your customers by leveraging their most spoken tongue, and thereby lower your SEO costs.
Some good insights here, thanks.
Old 15th March 2013, 03:39 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Actually, he has pretty much got it as far as I an understand.

Not a likely contender for one of Rick's awards however, me thinks!
Old 16th March 2013, 06:05 AM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

I tried to read it last night but fell asleep

Where's the case studies or data to back up anything he says? Has he ever done any SEO in India or any other markets he has great opinions on how to work in? Probably not.

Just a load of possibles and maybes and opinions based on no data. Typical SEO article in that respect

Next please.
Old 16th March 2013, 07:25 AM

clipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru View Post
I tried to read it last night but fell asleep

Where's the case studies or data to back up anything he says? Has he ever done any SEO in India or any other markets he has great opinions on how to work in? Probably not.

Just a load of possibles and maybes and opinions based on no data. Typical SEO article in that respect

Next please.
While I agree with you 100%, I feel that by the time case studies on this stuff are published it will already be too late.

You've done your personal studies on IDNs and so have I. My experiences largely coincide with what he's saying here, in terms of languages-SEO-SEM and competition.

He's leaving out a big part of the equation (in a word, profitability), but his job here is to sell SEO services, so he's going to say "everything you know is wrong and you need to hire an expert like me to fix it for you."
Old 16th March 2013, 08:31 AM

123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road

nothing new or nothing special. i think the article too vague to be useful.

i think the topic can not be discussed with a 1 page article. Even non-international SEO does not have a simple formula that works for all verticals. you always have to do a lot of research and understand the market and learn from your mistakes. it's learning by doing not by reading a theoretical article how things should be.

Last edited by 123; 16th March 2013 at 08:43 AM..
Old 16th March 2013, 05:14 PM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipper View Post

He's leaving out a big part of the equation (in a word, profitability), but his job here is to sell SEO services, so he's going to say "everything you know is wrong and you need to hire an expert like me to fix it for you."
Exactly right. Its just a cheap sales pitch, with nothing to back it up. There isn't a single number or stat, its just typical vague SEO sales waffle. Pass me the trash bin.
Old 16th March 2013, 05:55 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Well if your one of those morons which probably represent 95% of the total population of Anglo-Saxon world who believe you can market to the Chinese in English and they will take the time to figure it, then this is would be a real eye opener, if they even considered what the guy was saying

As it is, they are likely to dismiss him in much the same way as they dismiss us. The guy does not need data, he is making a qualative argument not and quantative one, much as I was when I made my original investment. There was no bloody data, I had to use my judgement, much as Rick did nearly ten years earlier. His willingness to follow a hunch serverd him well. At least the first time around.

His constant efforts to extend this initial success have been largely failures because most of his subsequent hunches have been rather silly, but giving the man credit, he is still going to have more than enough money to see him out and his bloody cats.