IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th March 2013, 11:18 PM

TheFifty9Sound is an unknown quantity at this point
игрице - Serbian Translation Confirmation

Greetings all,
Is anyone able to confirm if this is the correct word for 'games' in Serbian and if it is the prime term?
I feel like there is something here I'm not getting.
Cheers!
Old 24th March 2013, 11:39 PM

squirrel is a name known to all
squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all
Re: игрице - Serbian Translation Confirmation

I dont think we have a Serbian or Croatian native here so I'll take the liberty to provide you with some info.

Serbian is declension based, meaning words are written differently depending on their role within a sentence. i.e. The word car will be written differently whether you're talking about a car, or doing something in a car or if a car does something etc. Read about declension if you haven't already.

Then look at this http://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/игра#Serbo-Croatian
The case you'd want is nominative. (same goes for russian and ukranian and bulgarian by the way, always get the nominative case, either singular or plural)

PS: Serbian can be written in Cyrillic or Latin (ascii), in case you didnt know
Old 25th March 2013, 01:40 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Sounds right to me.
Old 25th March 2013, 02:03 AM

Thanks Squirrel.
Here lies my confusion. The term игрице is what Google translate spits out for "games", which I know shouldn't be taken as gospel. But it has heaps more searches than any of the terms in the link you provided, or any other serbian dictionary I've used, in Serbia and Montenegro. There is definitely something I'm not getting?
Old 25th March 2013, 03:09 AM

squirrel is a name known to all
squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all

As blast said it seems right. Perhaps the wiki page is off (quite possible), or maybe игре is more formal while игрице is the more familiar, day-to-day way of saying it. Maybe it's slang, or maybe it means "small games" etc. I don't know
Old 25th March 2013, 03:15 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

игрице is a more casual and playful way of saying it. Which is good for games.
Old 25th March 2013, 03:46 AM

Excellent! Thanks blastfromthepast!
Old 25th March 2013, 06:28 AM
Veteran

The bad news is that this language is a very small one to begin with, most people use Latin, not Cyrillic, and most don't type in accent marks when writing online.
Old 25th March 2013, 11:21 AM

Yeah I noticed. It's completely dwarfed by the Latin version of the word. This name was never going set the world on fire, but how often in this day and age can you hand reg a prime term like "games" in any language/script in .com?