IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Talk > Idners Clubhouse

Idners Clubhouse Idners Clubhouse is the place to hang out & chill when you just feel you've searched for IDN Domains a tad too much. General offtopic conversation. Please don't post SPAM here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th April 2013, 11:03 AM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about
Re: Bitcoins

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcle View Post
Yeah, kinda like the gum only less fulfilling since I sold at half. Still though photo your wong for btc and post it for science!!!! Your wife will understand. If she doesn't there is always a contract killer for hire for btc/ltc.
no wife, sold her for btc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcle View Post
holy jesus that was an awesome story! You should share that with everyone! Seriously dude. If I didn't know you from here, I would not believe it!
what a tease you are. You know I can't share that in a public forum .....
Old 10th April 2013, 11:05 AM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Anyone else selling BTC?
do we look like idiots? That was rhetorical
Old 10th April 2013, 11:19 AM

welkin will become famous soon enoughwelkin will become famous soon enoughwelkin will become famous soon enoughwelkin will become famous soon enoughwelkin will become famous soon enoughwelkin will become famous soon enoughwelkin will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru View Post
the bubble could last a long while yet. There's a law that states the usefulness of a network is equal to the square of the the number of people using the network. So the more people get involved in bitcoins, the utility of the bitcoin "network" is squared. That's what is exciting to me. That bitcoins are starting to really become useful, and the network size increases by thousands every day.

"Network bubbles" can turn into long-term wealth, so long as they provide a valuable service. I do believe bitcoins and other alt currencies have amazingly useful properties that will deliver such value over time.
I think that's pretty much it and what makes it interesting--except, by definition, if this is what is happening rather than inflation, doesn't that make it not a bubble at all?
Old 10th April 2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by welkin View Post
I think that's pretty much it and what makes it interesting--except, by definition, if this is what is happening rather than inflation, doesn't that make it not a bubble at all?
Who knows. Even "real" economists argue endlessly about inflation / deflation, what is good / what is bad / what is worse, what is a bubble, what is real and sustainable growth.

I put a few baht in because I saw for the first time something which could disrupt the current global banking system. And boy does it need disrupting. Its ancient, costly, unsuited to the Internet and just serves to make banks billions of dollars in annual profit when they aren't going bankrupt.

I might be right, it might be wrong, that's the fun of the fair.
Old 10th April 2013, 12:45 PM

welkin will become famous soon enoughwelkin will become famous soon enoughwelkin will become famous soon enoughwelkin will become famous soon enoughwelkin will become famous soon enoughwelkin will become famous soon enoughwelkin will become famous soon enough

By the way, just wanted to mention that you can buy bitcoins on eBay if you are unable to transfer money to an exchange site. I originally did, buying 20 for $200. Now I'm down to five...but if each becomes worth $20,000,000 like Avtal says, that's not too bad.

Of course, buying them on eBay is especially dangerous for a number of reasons, so research it and be smart about it if you do. Just pointing out it's an option if you want some and have no other way.
Old 10th April 2013, 02:08 PM

Avtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the rough

Here's a new rumor.

The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia is planning to introduce its own crypto currency ,called PetroC-K, which stands for "Petro Coin - Kingdom". It will be backed by the massive in-house computing power of the state oil company, Saudi Aramco, which is believed to be sufficient to ward off the dreaded "51% attack".

For more information, visit Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PetroC-K.

Avtal
Old 10th April 2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avtal View Post
Here's a new rumor.

The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia is planning to introduce its own crypto currency ,called PetroC-K, which stands for "Petro Coin - Kingdom". It will be backed by the massive in-house computing power of the state oil company, Saudi Aramco, which is believed to be sufficient to ward off the dreaded "51% attack".

For more information, visit Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PetroC-K.

Avtal
I got taken to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pet_Rock

Is that what you intended? I was intrigued to learn more about PetroC-K but instead learnt about taking on rocks as pets .... only in California ... certainly not in Saudi, though maybe people could collect sand instead.
Old 10th April 2013, 05:50 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Does anyone remember Green Shield Stamps or Luncheon Vouchers?
Old 10th April 2013, 08:26 PM

chrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished road

Btc taking a haircut today
Old 10th April 2013, 09:00 PM

Jay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisofmel View Post
Btc taking a haircut today
I think I heard a popping sound.
Old 10th April 2013, 10:05 PM

123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
it's the champagne...
Old 10th April 2013, 10:31 PM

123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-gold

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-Bullion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1mdc

i have the feeling the authorities don't like anonymous virtual currencies.

it's probably all for our own safety

Last edited by 123; 10th April 2013 at 10:35 PM..
Old 10th April 2013, 11:53 PM

chrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
dead cat bounce $110 off its high
Old 11th April 2013, 01:12 AM

Avtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru View Post
I got taken to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pet_Rock

Is that what you intended? I was intrigued to learn more about PetroC-K but instead learnt about taking on rocks as pets .... only in California ... certainly not in Saudi, though maybe people could collect sand instead.
For Americans of a certain age, Pet Rocks are a favorite example of a silly fad. I was just trying to make a subtle (some might say "obscure" or "tedious") comment about Bitcoins. Though a better analogy (again, familiar to Americans of a certain age) would be Beanie Babies, since for a while there was actually an active market, and eventually a bubble, in them.

Avtal
Old 11th April 2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avtal View Post
For Americans of a certain age, Pet Rocks are a favorite example of a silly fad. I was just trying to make a subtle (some might say "obscure" or "tedious") comment about Bitcoins. Though a better analogy (again, familiar to Americans of a certain age) would be Beanie Babies, since for a while there was actually an active market, and eventually a bubble, in them.

Avtal
Ah ok. Too subtle for me

Last night seems an early adopter of bitcoins cashed out $10M+ at $250-$260 per coin. Who can blame him This lead to lots of selling, which always to turns into panic selling, which currently always leads to mtgox trading platform "giving up" - it just can't cope with huge trading volumes at the moment.

But its all good. The coins get hopefully get redistributed to lots of different people. Having lots of coins owned by a few isn't good for stability.

As for mtgox, it either improves quickly or gets replaced by something competent.
Old 11th April 2013, 09:58 AM

Ben has a spectacular aura aboutBen has a spectacular aura aboutBen has a spectacular aura aboutBen has a spectacular aura aboutBen has a spectacular aura aboutBen has a spectacular aura aboutBen has a spectacular aura aboutBen has a spectacular aura aboutBen has a spectacular aura aboutBen has a spectacular aura about

Still no one here selling more? PM me if you are.
Old 11th April 2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Still no one here selling more? PM me if you are.
At what price? Last night it was $260 then down to $120, and now back at $160 odd.
Old 11th April 2013, 12:37 PM

alexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enough

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22105322

Old 11th April 2013, 05:26 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

As there is no intrinsic generation of wealth going on here, then profits of the earlier investors have to be paid by the losses from those who get caught up in the Hype.

Of course this sort of thing has been done, most notably by the Federal Reserve. The only real difference is that the FED has been able to sustain the illusion much longer. Bitcoins will inevitable collapse in value and probably fail totally at some point. Of the course the same is true of the FED but it probably won't be next week, although the odds of it happening within our lifetimes have shortened considerably. Indeed, for most of us it is now a racing certainty.

Move over Bernie, Ben wants the top bunk.
Old 12th April 2013, 06:43 AM

Muhammad Mustafa will become famous soon enoughMuhammad Mustafa will become famous soon enoughMuhammad Mustafa will become famous soon enoughMuhammad Mustafa will become famous soon enoughMuhammad Mustafa will become famous soon enoughMuhammad Mustafa will become famous soon enoughMuhammad Mustafa will become famous soon enough

MtGox was completely down for a couple of hours and BTC hit $52 in BTC-E, send me a PM if you wanna sell/exchange your BTC for IDNs, I'll take them all from you