IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > New gTLDs

New gTLDs IDN or ascii, use this forum to discuss the new gTLDs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th April 2013, 01:08 PM

squirrel is a name known to all
squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all
VRSN Earnings Call

A few quotes from the April 25th Earnings call

Quote:
D. James Bidzos

This is Jim. Just a little bit of additional color on some of the marketing expense. Some of that, a portion of it is tied to investment in marketing, some of the new TLDs that we've applied for. For example, the IDNs, which are actually first in the order of delegation in ICANN's program. And there have been -- there's been some small delay, some uncertainty in that program. Some of our marketing expense is tied to that. So not all of it is entirely within our control. But I think, yes, we expect to spend it during the year. So there's some variability there based on outside factors that are not entirely within our control.

Quote:
Daniel T. Cummins - B. Riley Caris, Research Division

Okay, great. And I want to just be clear on the marketing spend. Were you talking about $5 million per quarter? Or is that $5 million for the whole year? And -- those comments about the external factors, I think that explains quite a bit.
Quote:
D. James Bidzos

That $5 million was a number based on calendar 2013, not quarterly, for the marketing spend.

Quote:
George E. Kilguss

We will spend -- the $5 million that we did not spend in Q1 from marketing, the intention of our marketing department today is to continue to spend that this year. So they have -- it's not in place of other programs. It's programs that, as Jim talked about, some of it is tied to the new gTLD program. So some of that is not in our control, but our -- we expect our marketing spend to accelerate a little bit as we have these new programs going on and as this $5 million has shifted out of Q1 into later quarters.

Quote:
D. James Bidzos

I just want to give you a little more color on the TLD program. I think the ICANN just had their meeting a couple of weeks ago in Beijing. And there are couple of areas where the program is moving a little bit slower. There was a target date to make some major steps of April 23, a couple of days ago. That date has been delayed. In Beijing, there was a couple of major events. Number one is that advice was received from the government advisory council for ICANN, and I think that there's some issues that have to be addressed by applicants, which is probably going to take some time. That's been put out to public comment. And also, the process of contracting with registrars and registries in a new gTLD program is also a process that now involves public comment period for those contracts. So that's going to take some additional time as that process plays out. There was also a session in Beijing on security and stability. And -- but certainly, I commend ICANN for their commitment to make sure that all critical security and stability issues are addressed prior to delegation going forward. So I think there's a bit more work to do there. This is -- ICANN is getting operational. This is a major undertaking, a massive overhaul of global Internet infrastructure. So there have been delays in the past. It's probably not going to go perfectly smooth. I think at this point, we still expect the program to get off the ground this year but probably later in the year rather than earlier. And I don't think that we expect any significant revenue from our applications and our participation in the program this year. But Pat's here, he was in Beijing. If there's anything, Pat, you'd like to add.
Quote:
Patrick S. Kane

I think you got it covered.
Quote:
D. James Bidzos

So I think George said it succinctly, there's -- I just wanted to give you a little bit more color, but there's no significant revenue that we anticipate in 2013. Although our applications, as you know, are IDNs, which should be early in the process. So as the program does get underway, once again, I think we're well-positioned to participate with our 14 applications, including our 12 IDNs. So we continue to work within the program, work with ICANN, monitor progress and look forward to the program launching at some point.
Old 26th April 2013, 04:23 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: VRSN Earnings Call

$5 Million a Quarter certainly trumps ICANNs International Awaresness Programme.

Much still depends on what they do with it.
Old 27th April 2013, 12:23 AM

Avtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the rough
Re: VRSN Earnings Call

We should be glad that they didn't say, "We anticipate a big revenue bump from the Sunrise auctions in our new IDNs."

Avtal