IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th May 2013, 03:57 AM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice
Angry Paid Search On Travel Continues To Decline & Its Google’s Fault

According to a blog post on adgooroo.com, in the first four months of 2013.

“Paid search spend in the Travel category on U.S. AdWords is down in 2013.

At $238 million for the months of January through April, it’s actually down 19% from 2012’s $295 million during the same period, which was down 17% from 2011.

http://www.thedomains.com/2013/05/24...googles-fault/
Old 25th May 2013, 06:03 PM

mdw is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Paid Search On Travel Continues To Decline & Its Google’s Fault

Someone remind me why so many domainers feel a sense of entitlement to the charity, I mean traffic they receive from search engines?

If your only strategy for monetizing domains is to depend on getting a free handout from Google, you got a screw loose.

Not related to this post, admittedly, but something I always wonder about.

Last edited by mdw; 25th May 2013 at 06:04 PM..
Old 26th May 2013, 10:19 AM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdw View Post
Someone remind me why so many domainers feel a sense of entitlement to the charity, I mean traffic they receive from search engines?

If your only strategy for monetizing domains is to depend on getting a free handout from Google, you got a screw loose.

Not related to this post, admittedly, but something I always wonder about.
Totally agreed. Why do domainers think Google is a charity?

Is Google good? No. Evil? No. They are an American corporation doing what American corporations have always done. Do what it takes to evade as much tax as possible and get as much income as possible. End of.

This comes up again and again. "Oh, Google is screwing us over this and that". Stop the bloody whining. We've all got "screwed" by Google. They are a business, its their raison d'etre.

Why not blame all the other massive corps on the Net that have consistently failed to compete with G. Why not have a go at Microsoft or Yahoo! that both poured masses of money into trying to compete in the online advertising space and failed?

The world isn't fair. Deal with it.
Old 26th May 2013, 01:57 PM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

Problem is you work (creating content) to fill Google's pockets

And they also deceive us in several other ways like fooling us into using their "free" API's
Old 26th May 2013, 03:14 PM

mdw is an unknown quantity at this point

You mean stuff you put on the internet gets indexed by search engines? OMFG
They probably use that to send you visitors without your permission too.
Old 26th May 2013, 03:24 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdw View Post
You mean stuff you put on the internet gets indexed by search engines? OMFG
They probably use that to send you visitors without your permission too.
Indeed they do. What would my life be without them.
Better yet, what would Google's life be without us.
Old 26th May 2013, 07:50 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

What we do know is that nearly every search engine that does not pay traffic is pretty much a bust.

What we do not know is whether there is cause and effect.
Old 27th May 2013, 01:26 AM

Rockruler is an unknown quantity at this pointRockruler is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru View Post
Totally agreed. Why do domainers think Google is a charity?

Is Google good? No. Evil? No. They are an American corporation doing what American corporations have always done. Do what it takes to evade as much tax as possible and get as much income as possible. End of.
I think this could be expanded to include pretty much any corporation in the entire world, or universe that we know of. Just because a corporation is American has no bearing on whether or not they are out to just make a dollar (or yen, or pound, or euro, etc).

Corporations exist to make money unless they are registered as a charity. That goes for any company in the U.S. or otherwise.

BTW, I am not an American... I am just tired of this whole "blame America" thing. And I do not have anything against you personally, domainguru
Old 28th May 2013, 12:24 PM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockruler View Post
I think this could be expanded to include pretty much any corporation in the entire world, or universe that we know of. Just because a corporation is American has no bearing on whether or not they are out to just make a dollar (or yen, or pound, or euro, etc).

Corporations exist to make money unless they are registered as a charity. That goes for any company in the U.S. or otherwise.

BTW, I am not an American... I am just tired of this whole "blame America" thing. And I do not have anything against you personally, domainguru
Well actually I chose American corporations because (a) Google is American and (b) I understand something of American corporate culture. It was not 'random USA bashing' which I don't tend to have anything to do with.

Its not necessarily "universal" though...

For example, Japanese corporations, whilst of course having to make yen, have a culture where "customer satisfaction" is "the great goal". That's how a business documentary explained the most important difference between western and Japanese business culture to me. It was produced by a western company so could have been a load of bollocks, we'd have to bring a Japanese expert in to decide on that.

And European corporations are more often that not good at losing money, not making it.

And of course tax evasion is not special to American corps, just they seem remarkably good at it - Google and Apple are currently spotlighted in the UK for doing massive amounts of business and hardly paying any tax.
Old 28th May 2013, 01:33 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru View Post
Well actually I chose American corporations because (a) Google is American and (b) I understand something of American corporate culture. It was not 'random USA bashing' which I don't tend to have anything to do with.

Its not necessarily "universal" though...

For example, Japanese corporations, whilst of course having to make yen, have a culture where "customer satisfaction" is "the great goal". That's how a business documentary explained the most important difference between western and Japanese business culture to me. It was produced by a western company so could have been a load of bollocks, we'd have to bring a Japanese expert in to decide on that.

And European corporations are more often that not good at losing money, not making it.

And of course tax evasion is not special to American corps, just they seem remarkably good at it - Google and Apple are currently spotlighted in the UK for doing massive amounts of business and hardly paying any tax.
I think the Key distinction here is that politicians in Luxembourg are damn sight more effective than the Toffee Nosed Twats that run the UK.

Or at least they are representing those that elected them better.

I am actually quite sure that that those Toffs are not as daft as they seem, it is just they don't really focus on looking after the interests of the average citizen very often.
Old 29th May 2013, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck View Post
I think the Key distinction here is that politicians in Luxembourg are damn sight more effective than the Toffee Nosed Twats that run the UK.

Or at least they are representing those that elected them better.

I am actually quite sure that that those Toffs are not as daft as they seem, it is just they don't really focus on looking after the interests of the average citizen very often.
Those Toffs manage to stay being Toffs *by* looking incredibly stupid in public whilst being very clever in private. Classic magic trick stuff, very effective