IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st June 2013, 01:21 AM

nicenic is an unknown quantity at this pointnicenic is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow Opinions on TradeCommissioner's Market Report on "Domain name registration in China"

Link: http://www.tradecommissioner.gc.ca/e...cid=512&oid=32
Time: April 2013
Title: Domain name registration in China

My Opinions:

#1. "Setting the Stage: Types of Scams"
--> I agree. Yes, there are some Resellers of CNNIC Accredited Chinese local Registrars who care about neither their Registrar nor their own reputation/goodwill, disregard the agreement between Registrar and Reseller, ignore the warning from their Registrar, but keep doing silly things.

#2. "Official Paths to Registering a Domain Name in China" - How to register a ".cn" domain name - Point 3
-->
(1) "it takes 15 days for CNNIC to review the application documents", maybe the author is right, maybe not, registering a China domain name, including .CN, .COM.CN, .NET.CN, .中国 etc through CNNIC Accredited Overseas Registrar needs to take 15 days, but here in mainland China, it would in general take 1-3 business days for CNNIC's authentication.

(2) "the .cn domain names are not for personal users", I honestly can't agree with the author on this point, the China .CN domain names have been open to Individual Registrant/Personal User since 00:00 of 29th May, 2012 (GMT +8), please refer to http://www1.cnnic.cn/IS/CNym/cnymcpg...0823_35273.htm.

(3) "This is how local Chinese companies successfully register domain names without any documents from the original company.", generally speaking, the local Chinese company is still required to provide the local CNNIC Accredited Registrar with scanning copies of their Business License or Certificate of Organization Code and Chinese Citizen Nation ID for a business representative.

#3. "Costs of registering a ".cn" domain name" - "the current cost is RMB1 for the initial year of registration"
--> The cost price CNNIC offers to both domestic Registrars and overseas Registrars is same, I have no idea about whether there is really a CNNIC Accredited Registrar that is offering .CN domain name for RMB 1 or not, it's 1/30 of the cost price Registrar got from CNNIC, let me say. Even though, if a Registrar who really offers .CN for RMB 1, than I am very curious about how much they would charge for the domain renewal.

#4. "Issues of Particular Interest to Canadian Companies" - "Is a ".cn" domain name is of interest to you and your business?" - "A Chinese domain name is a distinct on-line identifier, representing registrants' value and orientation here in the mainland China. A foreign company which has set up its business network here, e.g. branch company, representative office, distributing channels etc., or is planning to expand its business scope to China's market soon may deem a Chinese domain name containing the company's brand name or relevant keywords is a very important way of enhancing its corporate image and promoting its commercial success in the Chinese market."
-- Well said. I just wanna post 2 thumbups!

What's your opinion?