IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th May 2006, 08:24 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point
Which ASCII year of IDN are we at?

1997? 1998? 1999?

Quote:
All the good ones are taken. Or are they? Below, the list of remaining English language words that, as of 14 April 1999, do not yet have a .com attached to them.
http://www.wired.com/news/technology...,19116,00.html
Old 30th May 2006, 08:51 PM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Re: Which ASCII year of IDN are we at?

This reminds me of times I see a post on a Domain forum for a dictionary term for sale.

Then they want like 5 to $10,000 for some term like sulekintle.
Definition: The crust on the forehead of your grandmother.

You got to be in Mensa or the National 3rd grade spelling bee to even hear the word. But it's a dictionary term so it has value.

Bit is it used by humans? On Earth even?:o

& someone actually after researching it for hours registered it... With the intend to sell it... I don't like spoil people's sales threads but I just want to ask them...

Did you ever even say the term in your life? In a Club? In a conversation with a woman? In a conversationion with a woman in a club? In a conversation with a woman in a club where she was still standing next to you 5 minutes later? In a conversation with a woman in a club where she was still standing next to you 5 minutes later & her reply wasn't ...Que No hable Englais?????
Old 30th May 2006, 09:32 PM

domainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished road

That's funny. I actually registered the word "dramaturgical" (actually I got it free through that officelive.microsoft.com promotion). For a minute or two I was actually pleased with myself for finding a dictionary word .com. Then I realized what an idiot I was.

It is sitting undeveloped in their Officelive system, and I don't even know if I own it, or if Microsoft does, or what. Thank God for IDNs...
Old 30th May 2006, 09:52 PM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to thegenius1
Cool Re: Which ASCII year of IDN are we at?

When i vist my old godaddy acount and look at the Ascii names i once bought I just ROTFL its hillarious that i actually once thought they would make money or somebody would want to buy them , With some of my once prized possesions I go to NP when im in a Good Mood and just give them away to show them IDN are the S@#$

IDEA : Hey lets make a list of stuff we are going to let Drop , Head over to NP or DNF chat and give them away LOL

Im going to start a List : Being that i had to settle for the Dot Net of this DOMAINGENIUS.NET , Im proud to say i got Revenge with IDNgenius.com

Last edited by thegenius1; 30th May 2006 at 10:39 PM..
Old 30th May 2006, 10:45 PM

g is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring

I think 1989 or 1990 but I wasn't there to be sure

also things are different because domains are popular already but the banner ads are very cheap now and ppc is very low compared to that time.

In the late 1990's during the dot-com boom, people were selling banner ads for $40 and $50 CPM. Then the dot-com bubble hit and these rates hit the floor. You can now buy banner ads dirt cheap, at $1 to $1.50 CPM. This is $1 for 1,000 banner impressions.
http://www.trafficoverload.blogspot.com/

Last edited by g; 30th May 2006 at 10:53 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 30th May 2006, 11:12 PM

domainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by g
You can now buy banner ads dirt cheap, at $1 to $1.50 CPM. This is $1 for 1,000 banner impressions.

That's true to a point, but many quality sites are still commanding $15-$20 cpm or higher... Most newspaper/media sites can get this range of cpm or more (but I agree that a lone domainer or small company will probably not get much for cpm, as many advertisers would rather work with a ppc model).
Old 30th May 2006, 11:18 PM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to IDNCowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainstosell
That's true to a point, but many quality sites are still commanding $15-$20 cpm or higher... Most newspaper/media sites can get this range of cpm or more (but I agree that a lone domainer or small company will probably not get much for cpm, as many advertisers would rather work with a ppc model).
alot of these sites tho are run by corporate companies that can work directly with pepsi etc
Old 30th May 2006, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff
alot of these sites tho are run by corporate companies that can work directly with pepsi etc
That's also true, but mostly it has to do with unique visitors per month, content and market share...