IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | idntools | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > New gTLDs

New gTLDs IDN or ascii, use this forum to discuss the new gTLDs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st July 2013, 12:30 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy
CircleID: Four New Generic Top Level Domains

http://www.circleid.com/posts/201307...neric_domains/
Old 21st July 2013, 09:44 AM

123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road
Re: CircleID: Four New Generic Top Level Domains

Quote:
Is there a pent up demand for generic names in those languages? When I look around the Internet, my guess would be no. In most countries, registrants typically use their country domain, and I don't see why their preference would change when they can register in their own language rather than English. (The US is an exception, but that's because of the strange way the .US domain was managed before 2002.) It'll probably be close to a year before any of those four
Does anyone understand this reasoning?

He says gTLDs a have no future in countries where the ccTLD is popular but the US is different because they use .com instead of .us.

What has the preference for ccTLDs to do with gTLDs?

gTLDs are simply different alternative extension which either replace the current popular ones or or just broaden the selection of available extensions.

Most (90% or whatever) in the US use .com but how you can reason that because of this gTLDs there will be in demand?
Old 21st July 2013, 10:36 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

I think he's saying that because those countries all have IDNccTLD's available already, and because prior to that their preference was strongly for their own ASCII ccTLD rather than CNOIB, they're quite likely to be happy with their IDNccTLD rather than branching out into the unknown.

Ignore the bit about .us - I think he put that in there for people in the USA who mostly don't even KNOW there's a .us ccTLD (unpatriotic bastards) and thus have a hard time believing the strength of ccTLD's elsewhere.

He seems to think it will close to a year before Joe Blow can branch out and register within those 4 new IDNgTLD's. Quite possibly.
Old 21st July 2013, 12:29 PM

IdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished road

He clearly underestimates the power of .com (Typical)
Old 21st July 2013, 02:36 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdnHost View Post
He clearly underestimates the power of .com (Typical)
Sounds that the opposite is true, but that he thinks you need a Green Card to register one.
Old 21st July 2013, 03:47 PM

Avtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert View Post
I think he's saying that because those countries all have IDNccTLD's available already, and because prior to that their preference was strongly for their own ASCII ccTLD rather than CNOIB, they're quite likely to be happy with their IDNccTLD rather than branching out into the unknown.
I agree that that's what he's saying.

What he didn't take into account: one advantage of say .ком over .рф is that .ком won't have some of the restrictions that .рф has. For instance, .рф doesn't currently offer single-character domains, and many geo domains are restricted.

I used to argue that one advantage of .ком is that it isn't subject to Russian government control, because it is operated by a US-based registry. But that argument has recently become less convincing.

Avtal
Old 21st July 2013, 04:16 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avtals View Post

I used to argue that one advantage of .ком is that it isn't subject to Russian government control, because it is operated by a US-based registry. But that argument has recently become less convincing.

Avtal
Because the US is now a bigger threat to Civil Liberties than the Kremlin?
Old 21st July 2013, 04:52 PM

IdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: CircleID: Four New Generic Top Level Domains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck View Post
Sounds that the opposite is true, but that he thinks you need a Green Card to register one.
If the opposite were true, I suspect one or more of his published articles would shed some light on the subject of verisign applying for 12 translits of .com, those translits being approved recently, or at the very least have an authentic sponsored photo of Rick at the bottom right corner.