IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th July 2013, 10:37 AM

nicenic is an unknown quantity at this pointnicenic is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow 1&2 Character and 3&4 Numeric .Asia Domains Available Soon

What's your opinion?
Old 24th July 2013, 03:08 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: 1&2 Character and 3&4 Numeric .Asia Domains Available Soon

Having lived in CZ for a while now, I have concluded that the EU as a unified market barely exists. And if it does the UK is definitely not part of it.

Asia, well, what can I say. At best, it is everything that does not belong to Europe. It certainly is not a unified a market.

So why try to advertise to a disparate group of countries that have limited linguistic or cultural similarties?

Sure, individually, there are some very strong players. Sell to the individuals until they have the makings of a team.
Old 24th July 2013, 07:44 PM

Jay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicenic View Post
What's your opinion?
1.asia is good. The rest will be second-best (or third best, and so on).

I just don't get the idea of an extension that is in English in a region where, apart from Singapore and India, few people speak English (and I don't think many people in India view themselves as belonging to Asia anyway).

Pity there are no plans atm for .asia to go IDN.

Regardless, like RD says, there doesn't seem to be much of a regional identity - less I think than Africa, Europe or S.America.

It is probably the one region where every country would happily see the others fall into an abyss.

Last time I checked the news, each of them was claiming ownership of the South China Sea and still asking Japan to apologise for WW2.

Last edited by Jay; 24th July 2013 at 07:49 PM..
Old 24th July 2013, 08:22 PM

123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road

i think it will have some limited value in the reseller market because there aren't many of this type, some speculators will gamble because they cannot not resist

maybe some company with more money than sense will buy into it. maybe some chinese will be happy to have another short number domain available.

but i think on overall long term value and potential will be very limited. mostly it will be the 1 characters that have value.

and 1-2 number (if available)

i think .asia sounds more attractive to the north american market than the asian market.

Last edited by 123; 24th July 2013 at 08:29 PM..
Old 25th July 2013, 02:53 AM

nicenic is an unknown quantity at this pointnicenic is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck View Post
Having lived in CZ for a while now, I have concluded that the EU as a unified market barely exists. And if it does the UK is definitely not part of it.

Asia, well, what can I say. At best, it is everything that does not belong to Europe. It certainly is not a unified a market.

So why try to advertise to a disparate group of countries that have limited linguistic or cultural similarties?

Sure, individually, there are some very strong players. Sell to the individuals until they have the makings of a team.
Hello Rubber, pleasure to meet you here.
IMO, .Asia might be used as an entry point to market of FATTP, namely Free Trade Area of the Asia Pacific, though like EU, it won't represent a definite unified market but just from the concept and the trend of cooperation/development based on multi-mutual-benefit, it is constrainedly unified. Maybe I was wrong.

Last edited by nicenic; 25th July 2013 at 03:07 AM..
Old 25th July 2013, 03:05 AM

Arrow Re: 1&2 Character and 3&4 Numeric .Asia Domains Available Soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post

I just don't get the idea of an extension that is in English in a region where, apart from Singapore and India, few people speak English (and I don't think many people in India view themselves as belonging to Asia anyway).

Regardless, like RD says, there doesn't seem to be much of a regional identity - less I think than Africa, Europe or S.America.

It is probably the one region where every country would happily see the others fall into an abyss.

Last time I checked the news, each of them was claiming ownership of the South China Sea and still asking Japan to apologise for WW2.
Hey Jay, I sincerely appreciate your comment.
Actually, I am honestly not good at political topic, also, it is not my original intention to push the thread to the direction of fighting for political rights. Please forgive me. (handshaking...)

We received the notification of "1&2 Character and 3&4 Numeric .Asia Domains Available Soon" from Registry of dotAsia at 2013-07-24 14:35:37, China Time and learned that

1&2 Character Release Dates
Pioneer Domains Program
Opening: Tuesday, July 30, 2013
Closing: Thursday, October 17, 2013
Sunrise (approx 1 week)
Opening: Tuesday, Oct 22, 2013
Closing: Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013
Landrush (approx 1 week)
Opening: Tuesday, Nov 5, 2013
Closing: Wednesday, Nov 13, 2013
Public Auctions Phase
Opening: Tuesday, Dec 3, 2013
* More information available on the Public Auctions at a later date
Old 25th July 2013, 03:13 AM

Talking Re: 1&2 Character and 3&4 Numeric .Asia Domains Available Soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123 View Post
...i think .asia sounds more attractive to the north american market than the asian market.
I consider I have sectarian regional perspective. Why? Because I was well flattered somehow by the comment of 123 on .Asia domain name.
Old 25th July 2013, 03:49 AM

Wot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enough

Quote:

I think they went IDN last year,certainly in some languages.
Old 25th July 2013, 08:03 AM

Jay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wot View Post
You're correct Wot. Sorry, I meant the gTLD part.
Old 25th July 2013, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Hey Jay, I sincerely appreciate your comment.
Actually, I am honestly not good at political topic, also, it is not my original intention to push the thread to the direction of fighting for political rights. Please forgive me. (handshaking...)
No, I know you weren't. In fact if anything I was stirring the pot. Let us all hold hands and celebrate Asian unity together [handshakes all round]. I say that as an Australian, an official member of our great Asian region (just don't mention the war).
Old 25th July 2013, 11:09 AM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
No, I know you weren't. In fact if anything I was stirring the pot. Let us all hold hands and celebrate Asian unity together [handshakes all round]. I say that as an Australian, an official member of our great Asian region (just don't mention the war).
Yes, except that Australia is less a part of Asia than Europe or Africa are.
Old 25th July 2013, 01:15 PM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123 View Post
i think .asia sounds more attractive to the north american market than the asian market.
You actually have something there i.e. Asia as a travel destination to westerners.

Inside Asia, it pretty much stinks. Its not like many Asians base their identity on the continent of Asia. Thais think its so unimportant they have two spellings for it:

เอเชีย ; เอเซีย - ( yes they are different, but you have to blow up the ช and ซ characters which look so similar to "spot the difference" )

Thais are more into ASEAN, but I doubt they are clamouring for .ASEAN either.

.com and ccTLDs are hard enough sells these days. Forget regional domains, might as well re-invest in .ws as buy .asia, or just save time and stick your money in the garbage disposal unit.
Old 25th July 2013, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru View Post
You actually have something there i.e. Asia as a travel destination to westerners.
I own one .asia - backpackers.asia - precisely for this purpose.

I set a website up for this last year and then lost all the files. Yep.
Old 25th July 2013, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Yes, except that Australia is less a part of Asia than Europe or Africa are.
Tbh we have no idea who we're part of. Probably best to consider us the 51st state of the US, as we seem to do whatever their government tells us.
Old 25th July 2013, 06:05 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Tbh we have no idea who we're part of. Probably best to consider us the 51st state of the US, as we seem to do whatever their government tells us.
52nd, 51st is taken, and shhh!, you can get extradited for even mentioning it.

Russia is about the only safe place to talk you mind these days.
Old 25th July 2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
shhh!, you can get extradited for even mentioning it.
I've already begun building my tunnel to Ecuador.
Old 26th July 2013, 06:21 AM

For all friends here on this thread, you have a cup of Chinese tea. Enjoy!

Last edited by nicenic; 26th July 2013 at 06:26 AM..
Old 26th July 2013, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wot View Post
Quote:
You're correct Wot. Sorry, I meant the gTLD part.
Got a direct answer about IDN.Asia from our Registrar Account Manager at Registry of dotAsia:
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/asia-g...100300406.html
Old 26th July 2013, 06:49 AM

Wink Re: 1&2 Character and 3&4 Numeric .Asia Domains Available Soon

Quote:
Let's

For

Old 26th July 2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
For all friends here on this thread, you have a cup of Chinese tea. Enjoy!

Wow, I'm not sure if it was the tea or the beautiful lady serving it, but I suddenly feel very tranquil. Thank you for that.