IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | idntools | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > Internationalized Domain Names > Internationalized Domain Name News

Internationalized Domain Name News Recent IDN related News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th August 2013, 05:44 PM

squirrel is a name known to all
squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all
Unicode Is the New Internet Gold Mine

I found this while researching the sale of vice.com :
http://m.vice.com/en_ca/read/the-dut...ietnams-google
Old 17th August 2013, 06:06 PM

Jay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enough
Re: Unicode Is the New Internet Gold Mine

Quote:
That sounds either very clever or very stupid
Yep.

Last edited by Jay; 17th August 2013 at 06:21 PM..
Old 17th August 2013, 08:16 PM

DktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura about

what part of it sounds clever?

freegin cyber squatter.

Last edited by DktoInc; 17th August 2013 at 08:20 PM..
Old 18th August 2013, 03:57 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

If you read it, he's offered it to them for free once the 60 day transfer ban goes away, so he's doing them a favour compared to if it was someone who was holding it for ransom.
Old 18th August 2013, 05:36 AM

DktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert View Post
If you read it, he's offered it to them for free once the 60 day transfer ban goes away, so he's doing them a favour compared to if it was someone who was holding it for ransom.
ok so you are protecting a cyber squatter. if he wanted to help them he would have sent them an email, same email that he would send them when offering their domain for free. what happens if they refuse? is he going to drop it or continue "$aving" it from others?
Old 18th August 2013, 05:38 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

OK, so your definition of a cybersquatter is obviously different from mine.
Old 18th August 2013, 08:02 AM

123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road

IMO he is squattiing if he is doing it for financial gain and asking for $$$. IMO doing this stuff frequently is risky

http://www.thedomains.com/2013/07/29...ing-judgement/

He says that he hands it over to avoid legal trouble. Basically he is at the mercy of the lawyers of the company. They can always decide to sue him if they want to. It's not that they have to ask him first. He has virtually no real control on the outcome. If a court decides he is guilty he is.

Quote:
Lots of traffic comes through search engines rather than direct visits, so most of the sites I make focus on ensuring high rankings in search engines. People are unbelievably reliant on search engines; for a long time, the top search term on Google was actually "Google," as well as being the top term on Bing. People are so drilled in getting to search engines that they don’t actually realize they’re already on one. By that same token, it means hijacking domain names (registering sites with accents or familiar typing mistakes, "like facebookk.com," for example) isn’t too damaging to big sites, as the bulk of their visits come from search engines.

Can you make a lot of money out of it?
Yeah, if you have enough domain names in the right places, you can make a killing. I know one guy who made it his business—he bought thousands of domain names similar to popular sites and became rich very quickly just through Adsense and affiliate marketing. I think it’s a legitimate way to make money, just as long as you don’t misuse that site by tricking the user into thinking they’re actually on Facebook and stealing their
I think this is where most courts would disagree.

Last edited by 123; 18th August 2013 at 08:13 AM..
Old 18th August 2013, 03:45 PM

Rockruler is an unknown quantity at this pointRockruler is an unknown quantity at this point

The subtext of what he is doing is basically: he registers TM domains, profits on them until if and when they come after him.... At which point he "graciously" offers no contest and then hands over the domain. IMO he's not helping "true" domainers at all. In fact, he's giving true domainers a bad name.
Old 18th August 2013, 04:27 PM

Avtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the rough

I wouldn't go to this guy for legal advice.

Quote:
Sometimes they’ll threaten to sue you and then you have to decide if you want to ask for money or hand it over for free and avoid any legal trouble, so there isn’t much to lose.
But actually, there is much to lose. Since he's subject to US jurisdiction (by using the .com registry), he can be sued under the Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act, which allows the trademark owner to obtain a judgement of $100,000 per infringing domain name. As 123 already pointed out, the trademark owner is not required to send a demand letter first, and is not required to drop the lawsuit even if the registrant offers to transfer the domain for free.

The court can take into account whether the registrant shows a pattern of cybersquatting; the Vice article would serve nicely as evidence.

As long as he stays out of the US, and never transfers assets to the US, and never lives in or visits or transfers assets to a country that recognizes US court judgments, he can ignore the judgement (except that all his .com domains, which count as US-based assets, could be seized), so maybe this doesn't worry him.

But it seems somewhat obvious that if you are living as a foreigner in an authoritarian state, especially one that you hope will protect you from the long arm of a US Federal court, it may not be wise to tweak powerful local entities.

Avtal

Last edited by Avtal; 18th August 2013 at 04:51 PM..
Old 18th August 2013, 04:59 PM

Jay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avtal View Post
I wouldn't go to this guy for legal advice.
No, but he can give you lessons on how to incriminate yourself.
Old 18th August 2013, 09:25 PM

123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road

http://tuoitrenews.vn/business/5742/...irected-domain

Not sure why people believe they get away with this.

Last edited by 123; 18th August 2013 at 09:26 PM..
Old 20th August 2013, 12:31 PM

Wot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enough

An awful lot cheaper to hire a "resolver" in Vietnam to eradicate the problem.
Old 20th August 2013, 01:30 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
“Should they want to sue me, they have to take me to an international court,” he said.
Obviously employs the same legal team as Google.