IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th August 2013, 08:19 AM

123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road
afrikaans language tag registration

about 60% of my hand-regs were regged with the afrikaans language tag.

will this have any effect on activating IDN.IDN?

From my understanding the language tag is used to identify the proper variant table and thus create or not create variants of the domain.

This may have some consequences in practice in language such as chinese i believe or maybe even arabic not sure though.

For example i did some tests and i believe that a chinese domain regged with the proper chinese language tag will create and thus block the traditional or mixed/traditional/simplified versions.

The same domain registered with an afrikaans tag will not not use the chinese variant table and thus will not create and block the traditional or simplified versions.

which means that the holder of a simplified chinese domain with an afrikaans tag may not have the rights to the traditional version(unless they do a second registration) and vice versa.

i may be wrong, i have tested this only once and there may be other reasons for what i have observed.
Old 29th August 2013, 10:52 AM

AWS is on a distinguished roadAWS is on a distinguished roadAWS is on a distinguished roadAWS is on a distinguished roadAWS is on a distinguished roadAWS is on a distinguished road
AW: afrikaans language tag registration

interessting question.
is it possible to change the language tag?
Old 29th August 2013, 11:20 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: AW: afrikaans language tag registration

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWS View Post
interessting question.
No. They cannot be changed because they only exist for the duration of the actual registration process. Once the registration is complete they no longer exist, and hence cannot be changed.
Old 29th August 2013, 11:28 AM

123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road
Re: afrikaans language tag registration

Quote:
Old 29th August 2013, 01:32 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123 View Post
No once you choose it will determine the variant language table and this cannot be undone unless the domain is deleted.
Right and wrong. It determines the variant table so that it can check compliance with IDNA standards and if it is the the registration goes through. If not it fails. But either way, the data is not retained. So regardless of which option was chosen, it doesn't matter after that.

Of course, it should have failed if you picked Afrikaans for Chinese, but it only really matters if some contraints are in place. For many languages such contraints are a recent occurance.

However, smuggling through non compliant domains won't help you much, as they won't resolve and will eventually not be renewable.
Old 29th August 2013, 01:58 PM

squirrel is a name known to all
squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all

Which registrar(s) still make you pick a language tag ? Godaddy ?
Old 29th August 2013, 02:55 PM

dynadot
Old 29th August 2013, 03:50 PM

squirrel is a name known to all
squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all

right, I had never realized.

I'm pretty sure I've regged chinese domains in the past without selecting a language tag and the variant was blocked. Didn't Alex variant-block himself out of a reg not too long ago using Dynadot ? 1 year ago or something like that ?
Old 29th August 2013, 10:24 PM

Rockruler is an unknown quantity at this pointRockruler is an unknown quantity at this point

Ugh... really. This kind of sucks.
Old 29th August 2013, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
right, I had never realized.

I'm pretty sure I've regged chinese domains in the past without selecting a language tag and the variant was blocked. Didn't Alex variant-block himself out of a reg not too long ago using Dynadot ? 1 year ago or something like that ?
maybe there is an other reason for this. as i said i tested this only once. might be a coincidence. it's just that i don't remember exactly what are afrikaans and what have proper tags so i can not verify this.

Last edited by 123; 29th August 2013 at 10:46 PM..
Old 31st August 2013, 05:11 AM

coconut is an unknown quantity at this point

When IDNs were first made available I don't recall having to indicate a language tag. Would those domains have automatically been assigned one at some stage?
Old 31st August 2013, 06:14 AM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

I don't believe those language tags were ever used. Heck, some registrars don't even have them.

I believe VeriSign put them in place because they thought they might be needed.

Many many IDN registrations contain the wrong (or default) tag i.e. the tags are effectively useless.

When it comes to doing IDN.com translit "registrations", it won't be based on these tags. At least you won't be prevented by activating if you chose the wrong tag or used a registrar that didn't ask for a tag.
Old 31st August 2013, 07:01 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru View Post
I don't believe those language tags were ever used. Heck, some registrars don't even have them.

I believe VeriSign put them in place because they thought they might be needed.

Many many IDN registrations contain the wrong (or default) tag i.e. the tags are effectively useless.

When it comes to doing IDN.com translit "registrations", it won't be based on these tags. At least you won't be prevented by activating if you chose the wrong tag or used a registrar that didn't ask for a tag.
I thought better of you.

This is nonsense.

Tags are not retained after registration.
Old 31st August 2013, 08:36 AM
Veteran

Cannot find original documents but language tags came way after IDN so older registrations pre- date them.

Communication at registrant level was almost non- existent so nobody is likely to lose anything as target audience would be mos severely affected as ICANN was talking to everyone in English at that time.

Then there is the sales issues. What happens if you bought from Godaddy in Auction? Did not drop, so no resetting of tags. Did they communicate settings? Would they even know?

Trust me Tags are legacy junk!
Old 31st August 2013, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

I believe The Duck is correct. Registration tags were used during registration only.

Some registrars checked the language tag you gave to ensure all the characters matched up with the appropriate IDN table at http://www.iana.org/domains/idn-tables, but the registries (com, at least) haven't got any extra fields in the registration database to store the tag, so it's ditched after registration.

Opensrs was notorious for requiring correct registration tags. Of course, when someone like .info added a new script, if Opensrs didn't update their system to allow the tag BEFORE registrations were switched on, you couldn't reg via opensrs. Very frustrating.

The registrar might still know which tag you picked, but the registry doesn't have a clue.
Old 31st August 2013, 04:02 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert View Post

The registrar might still know which tag you picked, but the registry doesn't have a clue.
Not if you have transferred them they won't!