IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th September 2013, 04:51 PM

zfreud is an unknown quantity at this point
.cn vs .中国

I have a bunch of idn.cn domains that i haven't paid much attention to. I just noticed that one registrar renewed them all as both .cn and .中国 (doubling their fees!)….while another registrar only renewed the .cn

My question is, if you own the idn.cn does it block registration of equivalent IDN.中国?

For example, if you owned ‪域名‬.cn but didn't opt to register ‪域名‬.中国, could someone else come along and register ‪域名‬.中国? (Note that i understand you get all variants in both scenarios.)

obviously i'm trying to figure out if need to register both versions..

and if it is the case different registrants could own same second level name in .cn and ‬.中国, curious which you think is better one?

thanks in advance for any insights here!!
Old 14th September 2013, 05:08 PM

Jay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enough
Re: .cn vs .中国

Quote:
Originally Posted by zfreud View Post
if you owned ‪域名‬.cn but didn't opt to register ‪域名‬.中国, could someone else come along and register ‪域名‬.中国?
Yes. These days they are separate registrations.

Quote:
if it is the case different registrants could own same second level name in .cn and ‬.中国, curious which you think is better one
For ASCII/Pinyin names .cn is better, for IDN names .中国 is best. IMO I don't see any point mixing scripts between the first and second levels.
Old 18th September 2013, 07:44 AM

nicenic is an unknown quantity at this pointnicenic is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow Re: .cn vs .中国

I would copy/paste the official notification we received from Registry of CNNIC for your information:

In July, 2010, “.中国”(.China)was officially accepted and added into the root zonefile as the Chinese character TLD and achieved the overall visits to the Internet. During the development process of the past two years, “.中国”(.China)has been recognized and acknowledged by extensive users. “.中国”(.China)was gradually improved in the aspects of registration service system and technological system. As an standalone TLD, “.中国”(.China)has possessed the registration and service prerequisites and capability. To promote the smooth development of “.中国”(.China)so as to meet the requirements of China’s Internet development, we made the announcement of registration and service of “.中国”(.China)as follows:

I. From 29th October, 2012, “中文.CN” (“Chinese.cn”) and “中文.中国” (“Chinese. China” ) will be respectively implemented the standalone registration and service.

II. From 29th October, 2012, users can comply with the naming rules of simply using or combining with the Chinese characters, English letters or Arabic numerals and hyphen for “.中国”(.China)domain name with the naming rules of “.CN” and other TLDs as the references. In order to protect the interests of relevant registrants, we will further notify the registration process with the naming rules as simply using or combining with the English letters or Arabic numerals and hyphen.

“.中国” is the Chinese character TLD representing of China on the global Internet. We welcome all potential customers to register “.中国”(.China)on their own wish. If you have any comments and suggestions about registration and application of “.中国”(.China), please contact our accredited registrars or CNNIC as following:

Tel: 010-58813000 (7*24)
Email: service@cnnic.cn
Fax: 010-58812666

China Internet Network Information Center
28th May, 2012
Old 18th September 2013, 07:59 AM

nicenic is an unknown quantity at this pointnicenic is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: .cn vs .中国

Quote:
... if it is the case different registrants could own same second level name in .cn and ‬.中国, curious which you think is better one? ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
... For ASCII/Pinyin names .cn is better, for IDN names .中国 is best. IMO I don't see any point mixing scripts between the first and second levels.
As a person who was born in China, study in China and now work in China, I would prefer .中国 than .CN.

Pinyin was originally used to help us pronounce the Chinese characters, we are not communicating/writing in Pinyin, but Chinese characters.

However, the characters printed on PC keyboards, Mobile phones are mainly letters and numbers while not Chinese. In a word, I personally think we are being forced to use letters/numbers while not our familiar Chinese characters.

If the domain name means much to you/your company, especially your brand, I would suggest you to hold both .CN and .中国.