IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | idntools | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > New gTLDs

New gTLDs IDN or ascii, use this forum to discuss the new gTLDs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th November 2013, 06:41 PM

Location: Global Headquarters of the Dot Net Skepticism Alliance
idn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished road
Yet Another Embarrassing IDN Gaff from ICANN

http://www.circleid.com/posts/201311...ff_from_icann/
Old 4th November 2013, 07:06 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: Yet Another Embarrassing IDN Gaff from ICANN

Yes, it is all good when we go after our share of that £350 Million.
Old 5th November 2013, 01:43 AM

Avtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the rough

This is a very well written article. I recommend reading it. It won't tell you anything you didn't already know, but it seems like a good example of how to make our case.

Avtal
Old 5th November 2013, 03:32 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Those of you active on Twitter could tweet it with #ICANNfail or something?
Old 5th November 2013, 04:08 AM

squirrel is a name known to all
squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert View Post
#ICANNfail
probably already trending
Old 5th November 2013, 05:08 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

So how do you tweet things at people?

@NewgTLDsICANN

@icann_president

#ICANN

appear to be operational
Old 6th November 2013, 05:21 AM
Administrator

http://domainincite.com/14667-dotsha...dogs-breakfast
Old 6th November 2013, 12:08 PM

Steve Clarke will become famous soon enoughSteve Clarke will become famous soon enoughSteve Clarke will become famous soon enoughSteve Clarke will become famous soon enoughSteve Clarke will become famous soon enoughSteve Clarke will become famous soon enoughSteve Clarke will become famous soon enough

Good Article!

Looks like frustrations, are starting to mount, with all these delays.
Old 7th November 2013, 12:58 AM
Administrator

Verisign's security view coming up.

http://www.circleid.com/posts/201311...n_part_1_of_4/
Old 7th November 2013, 03:40 AM
Administrator

The other point not mentioned that maybe should be - if I've got this right - is that Russian is similar to languages like Spanish rather than English.

Where in English we would say "the red car", in Spanish it would be "el carro rojo".

Maybe people are thinking новости.онлайн isn't such a hot domain because in English "online news" works a lot better than "news online", but if "новости онлайн" works better than "онлайн.новости" in Russian, then this is ANOTHER fact not picked up by the anglocentric ICANNer's that came up with block lists.

Someone fluent in Russian please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 7th November 2013, 06:22 AM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert View Post
The other point not mentioned that maybe should be - if I've got this right - is that Russian is similar to languages like Spanish rather than English.

Where in English we would say "the red car", in Spanish it would be "el carro rojo".

Maybe people are thinking новости.онлайн isn't such a hot domain because in English "online news" works a lot better than "news online", but if "новости онлайн" works better than "онлайн.новости" in Russian, then this is ANOTHER fact not picked up by the anglocentric ICANNer's that came up with block lists.

Someone fluent in Russian please correct me if I'm wrong.
Grammatically, the closest thing most people will have experience of to all Slavic Languages (includes Russian) is Latin.

Ignore script, that is something that has come since. 1000 years ago just about everyone from Dubrovnic to Gandsk to Moscow spoke the same language more or less, Proto Slavic. This unlike Latin would have been the language that ordinary people actually used, so all slavic languages are still very closely related.

Most Slavic languages have kept all the cases, genders and a whole load of complicated constructs that no longer exist in English. Slavic language are highly inflected which means word order has little impact on the general meaning although it is extensively used for emphasis. Impact build towards the last word of the sentence. It can be very evocative. I am not sure there are hard and fast rules about whether adjective proceed the noun or not, but what I do know is that they will generally have to agree in both gender and case. So if you are looking at doing hacks, then you pretty much need to be a linguistic expert.
Old 9th November 2013, 12:25 AM
Administrator

http://www.circleid.com/posts/201311...e_part_2_of_4/

Technical discussion showing that the block lists miss some risks.
Old 15th November 2013, 12:23 PM
Administrator

http://www.icann.org/en/news/announc...11nov13-en.htm

ICANN signed an agreement with JAS Global Advisors LLC to lead the development of the Name Collision Occurrence Management Framework, in cooperation with the community. The statement of work for the development of the Framework can be found here [PDF, 89 KB]. ICANN intends to present a development timeline and initial questions for discussion at ICANN 48 Buenos Aires (17-21 November 2013). Interested parties (e.g., current and prospective Registry Operators, security practitioners, community members) are encouraged to attend the SSR Session on Monday, 18 November 2013 and provide input.
Old 15th November 2013, 12:28 PM
Administrator

http://www.circleid.com/posts/201311...s_part_3_of_4/
Old 19th November 2013, 08:48 AM
Veteran

http://domainnamewire.com/2013/11/18...-dont-qualify/

Just a daft question really.

Does blocking affect registration or just resolution at all?

Are Sunrises going to be farcical? How in the hell are they going to get registrars to address this in a consistent logical fashion without causing total chaos? Can you image anyone even having an intelligent conversation with GoDaddy on the matter?

When you have upward of 10K names and some have much more, then there is not much incentive for people to go searching for a needle in a haystack.

Will registries with the biggest block lists be disadvantaged?

How can those not eligible for APD succeed?