IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th November 2013, 09:40 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Duck Vindicated.

Proof that Schartz is full of shit.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24899638

"China's Singles Day is a modern twist on Valentine's Day with lucrative results for China's biggest e-commerce companies. Sales online in China have exceeded the two biggest shopping days in the US combined. Black Friday and Cyber Monday are dwarfed by the estimated $5bn from one single day of shopping in China."

I think that was Alibaba on its own looking at the FT article.

Note Single Days was invented by the marketeers just 4 years ago. Yes nought to 5 billion in four years.

And of course all of it went on boiled rice.

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 12th November 2013 at 09:42 AM..
Old 12th November 2013, 09:57 AM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: Duck Vindicated.

From the Telegraph.

"Online shoppers spent 116 million RMB (£11million) on China's largest e-commerce platform, Tmall.com through its payment service Alipay within the first minute of the Singles Day promotions beginning at midnight on Monday.

More than 170m transactions took place over the 24 hour sale, with the total amount of revenue of online sales reaching 35 billion RMB (around £3.5 billion) while in last year the sales volume was 19.1 billion RMB (about £2 billion).
"
Old 12th November 2013, 10:17 AM

123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road

lol, i will never forget that commentary on rick's blog:

Quote:
See the problem is I see an answer where others don't. I choose to compete in the arena with the largest fish. Why the USA??? It comes down to one word.

CONSUMPTION!!

Read it again.

CONSUMPTION!!

The USA consumes MORE than the rest of the world combined on MANY things. Many! Many!!!! So that is why I don't dabble in IDN or country codes and only lightly in non-dotcoms. It's fine for those that do but it is not in my DNA for reasons I am about to explain. The numbers guide me.

So if you don't understand or even can't accept that one tidbit in life, then we will never see things eye to eye. We will always disagree because. We will never be on the same page. You will always tell me why your small pond is better and I will always point to the SEA with no limits! The sea of consumption! Sales!

And that is fine. I don't want to talk you out of the pond. It may be very nice. Very comfortable. Very good to you. But at least acknowledge the difference in size and VALUE of the audience. maybe not 100% of the time, but most of the time.

Yes, they consume more rice in China than the USA. So what?? They consume that rice to build things that we will consume mostly in the USA.
Yes, they consume rice but buy cars too, computers, smartphones , art, wine, domains etc.

Last edited by 123; 12th November 2013 at 10:18 AM..
Old 12th November 2013, 09:41 PM

chrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished road

Yes Alibaba rung up $5.7 billion by themselves
http://www.businessinsider.com/aliba...-sales-2013-11
Old 23rd November 2013, 12:35 AM

oldguy is on a distinguished roadoldguy is on a distinguished roadoldguy is on a distinguished roadoldguy is on a distinguished roadoldguy is on a distinguished roadoldguy is on a distinguished road

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1858...ce=google_news Alibaba is preparing a massive smartphone giveaway.

interesting - as is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alibaba_Group where it says ...
In 2012, two of Alibaba’s portals together handled 1.1 trillion yuan ($170 billion) in sales, more than competitors eBay and Amazon.com combined.

Last edited by oldguy; 23rd November 2013 at 12:36 AM..
Old 23rd November 2013, 07:40 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy View Post
http://seekingalpha.com/article/1858...ce=google_news Alibaba is preparing a massive smartphone giveaway.

interesting - as is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alibaba_Group where it says ...
In 2012, two of Alibaba’s portals together handled 1.1 trillion yuan ($170 billion) in sales, more than competitors eBay and Amazon.com combined.
Owned by Yahoo?

There is some tie up but if they owned 100%, then Yahoo's stock price would be going vertical.

Having difficulties finding reference. I think they might own something like a quarter.
Old 23rd November 2013, 06:54 PM

oldguy is on a distinguished roadoldguy is on a distinguished roadoldguy is on a distinguished roadoldguy is on a distinguished roadoldguy is on a distinguished roadoldguy is on a distinguished road

Yep - i caught that "owned by" as well http://beta.fool.com/sammattera/2013...and-few/33552/ says 24% but there's been a lot of discussion about Alibaba planning to do a heavy buyback from Y. I think they may have bought about half last year if it completed and may plan to do more. Their ipo will be interesting
http://www.newshome.us/news-4862278-...he-listed.html

Y stock price did well this year, but long term, i think they need to pull a bunny out of a hat.

Last edited by oldguy; 23rd November 2013 at 07:00 PM..
Old 11th December 2013, 01:33 AM

more interesting numbers on alibaba http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2...tocks/3956241/