IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th December 2013, 07:01 PM

IdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished road
Smile The "Sherpas" provide no comment on Cyrillic IDN from submitted list.

So i was watching the videos on domainsherpa.com and supposively this week they are reviewing 3 random ASCII portfolios. What I found particularly interesting is that on the first submitted list was a Cyrillic idn name СвадебныеПрически.com (Russian word meaning wedding hairstyles)

I'm not sure if this was submitted intentionally or not, but of course nothing was mentioned regarding the name unless I missed it.

http://www.domainsherpa.com/review-2...comment-618643

Last edited by IdnHost; 11th December 2013 at 07:35 PM..
Old 12th December 2013, 09:26 PM

DktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura about
Re: The "Sherpas" provide no comment on Cyrillic IDN from submitted list.

I think they just joined idnf to asswer your question.
Quote:
Welcome to our newest member, DomainSherpa

Last edited by DktoInc; 12th December 2013 at 09:29 PM..
Old 12th December 2013, 10:30 PM

squirrel is a name known to all
squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by DktoInc View Post
asswer
Old 19th December 2013, 01:43 PM

IdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished road

Okay so last weeks question regarding idns was discussed this week on domainsherpa in the after show video.
I believe it starts at 21:45min.

http://www.domainsherpa.com/review-20131219/

Thank You Michael.
Old 19th December 2013, 01:48 PM

DomainSherpa is an unknown quantity at this point

My pleasure.
Old 20th December 2013, 07:23 AM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdnHost View Post
Okay so last weeks question regarding idns was discussed this week on domainsherpa in the after show video.
I believe it starts at 21:45min.

http://www.domainsherpa.com/review-20131219/

Thank You Michael.
That was funny.

So here is what goes down in that video:
-Adam says he registered a 1000 IDNs years back, then dropped loads
-Rick smiles
-Adam continues.. now he says he will drop most of them
-Ricks smile grows so big its like his face is about to split in two
-Adam then says he regged a load of Hindi domains too, registered from lists supplied by native speakers.. but he's dropping most of those too
-Rick can't smile any more, his smile already says I told you so

Takeaway from all that: Adam regged IDNs early, and dropped most of them. He used native human translators, so they were solid. Rick was right about IDNs and their junk status.

The thing is, all of the above is true.

But what is missing is the detail. Anyone who has been around long enough will recall this.

this is what actually happened:

-Adam registers a ton of Asian IDNs around 2007-2008, he clearly made the schoolboy error of using google translate to do it. There were many threads here and in DNF where his translations were ridiculed. So he drops them.
- It then seems he went on to reg Hindi domains, but this time learnt from the past and used native translators. But they don't get any traffic or offers to buy (no surprise there)

But of course Adam skipped over these minor details.

If anyone has the time and the energy, maybe they can find links to these old threads I refer to.

Last edited by alpha; 20th December 2013 at 07:27 AM..
Old 20th December 2013, 03:26 PM

squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha View Post
If anyone has the time and the energy, maybe they can find links to these old threads I refer to.
I won't but I know what you are referring to.

Bill or Tim I think directly reached out to him to suggest some of us review his portfolio before he renew for another year. That was 3-4 years ago.

Damn you guys made me watch the vid. F it.

Of all the guys, Berkens made the most sense. Learn the culture and subtleties of the language - good advice.

Hopefully there will be a day where people that know about IDNs and foreign language domains are asked to talk about just that.

Also from the vid, it would seem Adam regged ASCII.in, not .co.in and not Hindu(sic) IDNs. So really all that happened is that he dropped his machine translated Asian IDNs.
Old 20th December 2013, 03:37 PM
Semi-retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
Also from the vid, it would seem Adam regged ASCII.in, not .co.in and not Hindu(sic) IDNs. So really all that happened is that he dropped his machine translated Asian IDNs.
you clearly watched more than me. I think after the 3rd time of throwing up in my mouth, I had to switch it off.

Quote:
Hopefully there will be a day where people that know about IDNs and foreign language domains are asked to talk about just that.
what, and let the facts get in the way of a good story, and self back-patting by our self elected experts on everything in the DNS?
Old 20th December 2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha View Post
you clearly watched more than me. I think after the 3rd time of throwing up in my mouth, I had to switch it off.
try it on mute, kind of achieves the same result j/k

To be honest, kudos to Cyger for asking the question. I know you're gonna read this, so yeah, good job on the interviews in general and well done for asking the question. Unfortunately the answers given were not useful in any meaningful way.

Also Adam is a cool guy and I am sure if he was asked directly, he would admit to botching his IDN play. I don't know if he still sees potential in IDNs, but he sure was open minded enough to try it and open an IDN section on DNF etc. Kudos for that.

Berkens made sense but had little to say because it's not his field.

Rick is Rick.

Shane was cracking jokes.

We are far from Snow/Kinderis at domainfest a few years ago. Any of us actually could have given a more insightful answer.
Old 20th December 2013, 04:42 PM
Semi-retired

good summary. Cyger & Murphy blogs are top of my reading list.
Old 20th December 2013, 06:46 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

For all the sense they made they might as well be talking Chinese for me.

Quote:
I won't but I know what you are referring to......

Of all the guys, Berkens made the most sense. Learn the culture and subtleties of the language - good advice.

Hopefully there will be a day where people that know about IDNs and foreign language domains are asked to talk about .
Old 20th December 2013, 07:47 PM

bumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura about

I turned off when they all agreed what a great name aboutCrap.com is.
Old 21st December 2013, 05:29 PM

Rockruler is an unknown quantity at this pointRockruler is an unknown quantity at this point

So... when is Michael going to interview someone from IDNF? Why not have an IDN interview special Michael? Would be really interested in that.
Old 21st December 2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockruler View Post
So... when is Michael going to interview someone from IDNF? Why not have an IDN interview special Michael? Would be really interested in that.
Good idea. +1
Old 22nd December 2013, 01:36 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Meh. Wait until the IDN versions of CNO launch, THEN interview someone. It'll far more interesting.