IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th January 2014, 05:29 PM

rotem is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm done!

I started to deal with IDN for more than 5 years. I thought that one day idn.com will change to idn.idn
I heard a lot of stories "in X months it is gonna happen"
During 5 years I bought more than 300 IDN domains, spent more than 3000 Euro ,some good some not, exchanged some IDN's, but nothing special.
I can see the potential of domains but not of IDN.
Maybe Im not patient but after more than 5 years I think I gonna sell all my domain unless sombody can convince me othewise.
Old 9th January 2014, 05:34 PM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice
Re: I'm done!

Unlike you, I can see the potential of IDN but not domains.
Old 9th January 2014, 05:55 PM

Location: Global Headquarters of the Dot Net Skepticism Alliance
idn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotem View Post
I started to deal with IDN for more than 5 years. I thought that one day idn.com will change to idn.idn
During 5 years I bought more than 300 IDN domains, spent more than 3000 Euro ,some good some not, exchanged some IDN's, but nothing special.
Maybe Im not patient but after more than 5 years I think I gonna sell all my domain unless sombody can convince me othewise.
Don't take this the wrong way but with 3000 euro in 2009 you really couldn't buy lots of quality idns especially averaging 10 euros per domain.

It has definitely been a horrendous market for mediocre idns the last few years.
Old 9th January 2014, 06:14 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by idn View Post
Don't take this the wrong way but with 3000 euro in 2009 you really couldn't buy lots of quality idns especially averaging 10 euros per domain.

It has definitely been a horrendous market for mediocre idns the last few years.
Looking through the OPs posts, he seems to be focused on Hebrew and mainly .net
Not sure if that is representative of the whole portfolio.

A $10k domain is going to give you a better return that 1000 $10 reg fee domains, that's for sure.

I too only have 300 com domains, but then I've spent hundreds of thousands of dollars acquiring them. Maybe that just makes my opinion biased.
Old 9th January 2014, 06:17 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
It has been a long wait. 2 to 3 times as long for some.

This year is make or break. Maybe we will all have to start facing reality.

But not right now. Whether they succeed or not is not your call and mine neither. The dice are effectively already being rolled. Seems a shame to walk away before they stop rolling.
Old 9th January 2014, 06:21 PM

squirrel is a name known to all
squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all

you can send me a list of your domains
Old 9th January 2014, 06:22 PM
Semi-retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck View Post
It has been a long wait. 2 to 3 times as long for some.

This year is make or break. Maybe we will all have to start facing reality.

But not right now. Whether they succeed or not is not your call and mine neither. The dice are effectively already being rolled. Seems a shame to walk away before they stop rolling.
IDN investing becomes an official failure when either:

You run out of cash
or
Idn.idn comes but doesn't deliver the goods

Until then the game hasn't started, its all still pre-match banter
Old 9th January 2014, 06:39 PM

squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all

5 years is a long wait for many people. It's also a long time internet wise.

The advantage of having invested/speculated 'only' 3K is that you can walk away losing just that. A 100K worth of domains is more difficult to drop.
Old 9th January 2014, 06:44 PM
Semi-retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
5 years is a long wait for many people. It's also a long time internet wise.

The advantage of having invested/speculated 'only' 3K is that you can walk away losing just that. A 100K worth of domains is more difficult to drop.
More difficult, sure, but if its dead its dead, so the amount doesn't matter.

My point was that I don't understand why people are wanting to call it now. Unless I missed the announcement that idn.idn isn't happening, or I missed that actually idn.idn already happened and it didn't work out. Then how can you call it success or failure?

Run out of time, patience or renewal fees - fair enough. But that's different
Old 9th January 2014, 06:50 PM

Sometimes its just about putting your money else where.
3K for 300 domains mean you have to more or less put another 3K every year just to keep the domains.

I'm pretty sure some folks also just become stressed out having put too much money and time in something that hasn't launched yet. It's a psychological weight for some. I've known people like that. 30 K in domains and no material return, after a few years it's just too much to bear.

But yes in essence, now is not the best of time to call it quits
Old 9th January 2014, 07:27 PM

rotem is an unknown quantity at this point

Tnx for the interesting answers! At this point I think I will stop buying new IDN's and just keep my best ones.
Old 9th January 2014, 07:30 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Tnx for the interesting answers! At this point I think I will stop buying new IDN's and just keep my best ones.
That is a good plan, then you won't have any regrets when things take off.
Old 9th January 2014, 07:38 PM

camarro is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Some here have waited far more time and spend far more money than that.
I'm pretty sure that if i took the money i invested in idn's and put it somewhere else i'd be a wealthier man today, but that's the game...you make your choices and you take your chances.
Idn's have a world of potential, but having potential and reaching it are two very different things...this is true for idn's and even more true in life.
Like others have said this is not the moment to get out...even tough it seems like nothing is happening.
Make a selection of what you have and keep the best that you can afford...come back in a year and reassess, that's about the only advice i can give you. Keep your cool and if one day you have to walk away...do it, there are a whole lot worse things in life than a failed investment.

Old 9th January 2014, 07:54 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
It has not really made much sense to buy new domains for a long time. Picking up cheap ones in the secondary market has been a much better play since you joined the game.

Dropping a load and keeping the cream is a good strategy. This time next year, I may well be doing the same.
Old 10th January 2014, 01:50 AM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha View Post
IDN investing becomes an official failure when either:

You run out of cash
or
Idn.idn comes but doesn't deliver the goods

Until then the game hasn't started, its all still pre-match banter
Only one thing is missing from your equation: timing.

Apple Newton - huge failure
Apple iPad - huge success

timing is everything

idn.idn took way toooooo much time. it might be too late now.
Old 10th January 2014, 02:10 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Judging on the traffic already expecting idn.idn to work, I don't think it's too late. Not yet.

Certainly better - rather than giving up completely - to do a big prune and only keep the domains that have shown promise already.

Even if you keep just one good one, that give you the potential to show a profit in the long term. Dropping the lot stops the bleeding but give you zero chance of future revenue.
Old 10th January 2014, 06:23 AM

Wot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enough

I guess I have been lucky. With both IDN & ASCII

I am definitely well in profit with purchases/ sales of IDN mainly thanks to some good Chinese.IDN and a few other bits and pieces.

Long term now is not an option for me age being a constraint so still looking for sales,not the best time now sure, but also have culled a lot of names.

Still have a few hundred decent ASCII and am now developing a niche with a view to eventual bulk sale- maybe, hopefully!

One thing I can definitely say, I have no idea what potential buyers consider what makes a good domain name, my sales often come from names that I would consider mediocre. So basically I have just been lucky and learnt nothing!
Old 10th January 2014, 07:53 AM

mgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enough

I think the increase in mobile usage for the web has pretty much killed domaining as a whole.

Unless you have an A++ name, you really should be developing your names (Although developing is pretty much in vain these days since google got rid of its exact match domain name advantage. But it is still fairly easily to put a quick site up and earn more than renewals.).

If domains aren't making renewals i can't see the point in keeping the domain name out of hope of making a big sale. You've probably got more chance using the renewal fees to buy a lottery ticket and win.

Unfortunately IDNs came 10-15 years too late, and now they are possibly coming at a time when domains are not a necessity anymore or as valuable as they once were, due to mobile apps and social media.
Old 10th January 2014, 09:46 AM

Ben has a spectacular aura aboutBen has a spectacular aura aboutBen has a spectacular aura aboutBen has a spectacular aura aboutBen has a spectacular aura aboutBen has a spectacular aura aboutBen has a spectacular aura aboutBen has a spectacular aura aboutBen has a spectacular aura aboutBen has a spectacular aura about

I signed up here 8 years ago thinking IDNs had a good future ahead of them but now it seems like a mostly failed experiment. I hope I get proved wrong in the years to come because I'm still going to be holding on to a few.
Old 10th January 2014, 10:58 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Quote:
During 5 years I bought more than 300 IDN domains, spent more than 3000 Euro
That's it?

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 10th January 2014 at 10:59 AM..