IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd January 2014, 04:51 AM

nicenic is an unknown quantity at this pointnicenic is an unknown quantity at this point
Notice about Domain .公司 .网络 New Registration Suspended

December 18, 2009, the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) released a draft of new gTLDs intention program, and in March 2011 formally approved the implementation of the new gTLDs scheme.

April 2012, China Internet Network Information Center (CNNIC) filed officially application to ICANN for .公司(company) and .网络(network) being written to root DNS of global internet.

According to the "Notice of Chinese Internet Domain System" issued by the former Ministry of Information Industry (now the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology), as Chinese Internationalized Domain Names(IDN), the registration services of .公司 and .网络 got already available for mainland Chinese users.

January 21, 2014, per ICANN's approvement, Chinese IDN of .公司 and .网络 were officially written to root DNS of global internet and became accessible worldwide.

In order to maintain the normal domain registration order after .公司 and .网络 being rooted to ICANN, and to safeguard national and social public interests, based on ICANN's regulations about new gTLD registration, CNNIC announced ".公司 and .网络 domain registration and service adjustment" as follows:

1. Suspend .公司 and .网络 domain registration service from 2014-1-21 6:00 PM (GMT+8)

2. Set Sunrise period for the new gTLDs of .公司 and .网络

3. Whois query service of .公司 and .网络 will operate as normal

4. Renewal/Transfer service of the existing .公司 and .网络 domain names will operate as normal

5. Specific time about the Sunrise starting will be further noticed
Old 22nd January 2014, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy
Re: Notice about Domain .公司 .网络 New Registration Suspended

That'll clear up any confusion.
Old 23rd January 2014, 04:24 AM

zenmarketing is an unknown quantity at this point

Do I sense a hint of sarcasm, Drew?

Verisign, what happened? I'm looking at "COM" and "NET -- operated by CNNIC. What a shame.
Old 23rd January 2014, 04:51 AM

mchold is an unknown quantity at this point

something happens
Old 24th January 2014, 01:54 AM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmarketing View Post
Verisign, what happened? I'm looking at "COM" and "NET -- operated by CNNIC. What a shame.
VeriSign passed on Gongsi and went for a version of a phonetic Translit of "com" and "net" all across the board.
Old 24th January 2014, 11:36 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmarketing View Post

My sarcasm was about CNNIC operating a split root in China, running .公司 and .网络 and now freezing new regs while they wait for them to be delegated in the real root.

Theoretically, if ICANN had stuck to the ICP3 rules, CNNIC should have been banned for running an altroot. Verisign also remained silent. Politics clearly involved.
Old 25th January 2014, 05:46 AM

luke is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm afraid CNNIC has not split the root. .公司 and .网络 were mapped to .公司.cn and .网络.cn
That's why there is little user because you can only use ".公司.cn" or visit the site with a browser plugin, but not .公司.

New regs are freezed for CNNIC's submitting list of pre-allocated domains ineligible for Sunrise .

Last edited by luke; 25th January 2014 at 05:54 AM..
Old 25th January 2014, 10:04 AM
Administrator

Re: Notice about Domain .网络 New Registration Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke View Post
I'm afraid CNNIC has not split the root. .公司 and .网络 were mapped to .公司.cn and .网络.cn
That's why there is little user because you can only use ".公司.cn" or visit the site with a browser plugin, but not .公司.
I'm sorry, but CNNIC DID split the root. The CNNIC name servers were answering queries for xn--55qx5d. and started doing so in 2006. No browser plugin required.

I tested their servers myself and saw the non-NXDOMAIN replies.

See:

https://www.nanog.org/mailinglist/ma.../msg00007.html

https://lists.dns-oarc.net/pipermail...ne/000688.html
Old 25th January 2014, 10:46 AM

Strange cause I can not even resolve/visit my own .公司 names. ".公司.cn" works, but not ".公司".
Old 25th January 2014, 10:51 AM

Try this:
xn--hwt22u.xn--55qx5d.cn [ 年检.公司.cn ]
xn--hwt22u.xn--55qx5d [ 年检.公司 ]
Old 26th January 2014, 09:52 AM

andre is on a distinguished roadandre is on a distinguished roadandre is on a distinguished roadandre is on a distinguished roadandre is on a distinguished roadandre is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke View Post
I am going back a few years but there certainly was (and I am sure still is) an alternate China Root. For about a year I used Cesidian Name Servers. http://cesidianroot.net Think of this as an alternate Super Root Server. Cesidian encompasses other Roots, including China's MII/CNNIC Root. China's Root resolved TLDs .中国 .公司 .网络。So, for instance, Beijing University had 北京大学.公司 & 北京大学.网络. It also had 北京大学.中国 which was originally resolved by China's Root but is now resolved by the ICANN Root. I deduce there will be the same transition with .公司 & .网络

I found quite a lot of sites that had various combinations of .中国 .公司 & .网络 that successfully resolved when I used China's Root via Cesidian Name Servers. I communicated with a small number of people in China and asked them to test out some .公司 & .网络 Domain Names. I deliberately did not ask them to change the DNS Server settings on their Computers. None of these people could access any .公司 & .网络 Domain Names. I had asked them to test Domain Names that were working for me. So I concluded that, at the time, few ISPs/Companies/Universities linked to the alternate China Root.

André 小山 Schappo