IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd February 2014, 03:25 AM

alibuba is on a distinguished roadalibuba is on a distinguished roadalibuba is on a distinguished roadalibuba is on a distinguished roadalibuba is on a distinguished roadalibuba is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to alibuba
dropping some names

I am thinking of letting go of almost all my .net domains. Best being the arabic .nets. What are peoples thoughts on what is going on and any predictions on the future. I recently read somewhere else in a post that we are looking at another 2 years wait. If anyone wants to offer something for a list of almost 200 .nets mostly arabic and some other languages i can send them the list otherwise lets have a discussion on current scenarios playing about. Any offers im looking for as 7 years have past.
Old 23rd February 2014, 03:44 PM

Location: Global Headquarters of the Dot Net Skepticism Alliance
idn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished road
Re: dropping some names

Quote:
Originally Posted by alibuba View Post
I am thinking of letting go of almost all my .net domains. Best being the arabic .nets. What are peoples thoughts on what is going on and any predictions on the future. I recently read somewhere else in a post that we are looking at another 2 years wait. If anyone wants to offer something for a list of almost 200 .nets mostly arabic and some other languages i can send them the list otherwise lets have a discussion on current scenarios playing about. Any offers im looking for as 7 years have past.
I'd "consider" keeping the very best and drop the rest or talk to Bill. A .net market simply does not exist. It is difficult to sell decent dot coms these days and most would rather own a decent dot com than a premium dot net. The only market that has any traction is premium dot coms and it is pretty weak itself.

Best of luck.
Old 23rd February 2014, 11:02 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

There are a good many idn.net registered according to these stats. I am renewing .nets for another year until we see what happens when VeriSign finally gets their IDN gTLDs into the system. I agree with Mark the market is stagnant with the uncertainty....yet no one seems to be offering up their premium IDN.com at "good ole days" prices. I miss the Chinese and Russian flippers who brought some good names onto the forum, that was probably 5+ years ago. Maybe what we are seeing is a sign the market is maturing.

As of 8/18/2013 (stats courtesy of Mulligan)

Total # of IDNs registered in .com, .net, .org, .info, .biz: 1,443,045

By extension:

.com - 990,479
An increase of 61,450 since November 2012 or 6.2%±

.net - 306,738
An increase of 31,977 since November 2012 or 10.4%±

Last edited by bwhhisc; 23rd February 2014 at 11:17 PM..
Old 24th February 2014, 11:37 AM

FMFM is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you think it will happen in the next year, or even two? Plus, as somebody mentioned on another post, because of the great delay, the IDN.com's will have a lot of catching up to do with the various other extensions that are on the market in the different countries (China, Thailand, Russia, Japan, etc...). Are people going to shift their thinking away from the current extensions back to a "new" .com? By the way, are there current stats that show the percentage of sites in different countries that show the percentage of IDN.com compared to IDN.(other extensions)?
Old 25th February 2014, 01:45 AM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMFM View Post
Do you think it will happen in the next year, or even two? Plus, as somebody mentioned on another post, because of the great delay, the IDN.com's will have a lot of catching up to do with the various other extensions that are on the market in the different countries (China, Thailand, Russia, Japan, etc...). Are people going to shift their thinking away from the current extensions back to a "new" .com? By the way, are there current stats that show the percentage of sites in different countries that show the percentage of IDN.com compared to IDN.(other extensions)?
It's 100% going to happen....just how the final details will be agreed is (unexpectedly) taking some time to work out.
If there was no perceived value in .idn(com), or any perceived impact on current ascii.coms, there would not be the activity
by powerful groups within ICANN that has hamstrung the implementation of these new .com or we might already be whizzing
along like new gtld's like .guru, .ninja and .sexy.

Last edited by bwhhisc; 25th February 2014 at 02:14 AM..
Old 25th February 2014, 05:34 AM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

I have been saying this forever: idn domains arrived too late. I was expecting a 10 to 20 year time frame till full domain name dead, but I was wrong: it's 2 to 5 years. Most of the people I know is not using the computer at home anymore. And I was talking to a friend that come from Angola a couple of days ago and he said many are using the Internet for the first time... on smartphones!
Old 25th February 2014, 07:37 AM

Ben has a spectacular aura aboutBen has a spectacular aura aboutBen has a spectacular aura aboutBen has a spectacular aura aboutBen has a spectacular aura aboutBen has a spectacular aura aboutBen has a spectacular aura aboutBen has a spectacular aura aboutBen has a spectacular aura aboutBen has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose View Post
And I was talking to a friend that come from Angola a couple of days ago and he said many are using the Internet for the first time... on smartphones!
I still type domains into my smartphone.
Old 25th February 2014, 09:28 AM

FMFM is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe that there is still a great market for IDNs...much of the world is still not on the internet, and many seem to prefer their own languages. However, that doesn't mean that they will also need it in .com (translated). This is mainly what I have been thinking about. Because it has taken so long, will the .com be the premier extension compared to the country IDN extensions that already exist. I don't know the answer. The cctlds and IDN country extensions seem to be doing well, and possibly better than some .com IDN purists were expecting, and thus this is the main question as to why I am not sure as to the success due to the delay. As others have mentioned, years ago top IDN.coms were selling for thousands, and now it seems that even half-way decent ones that would sell in the thousands in the non IDN are not moving at all.
Old 25th February 2014, 12:19 PM

idn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
I still type domains into my smartphone.
Same here. I actually really get annoyed with all the "download the app" links when I visit mobile sites. A lot of apps these days provide less value to me than a bookmark. And I not referring to small forum type apps, but large companies.

I have owned almost every iphone since 2007 and there are only about 5-10 apps I use regularly. Although hundreds have been downloaded and deleted.

Personally, I don't see domains going anywhere. If anything I think they will become more important. I know a lot of people that would rather enter a short address into a browser than search their apps. Of course this varies greatly country to country and I'll admit that my situation could differ greatly than someone in China or Saudi Arabia. That said, most people can't work from their mobiles and many people browse the internet when working.

The dot com isn't going anywhere anytime soon either. The extension in the most simple terms receives the most exposure.

66% of the top 50 global sites use .com
66% of the top 50 sites in China use .com (this excludes .com.cn)
34% of the top 50 sites in Russia use .com
54% of the top 50 sites in Japan use .com
88% of the top 50 sites in Thailand use .com
72% of the top 50 sites in South Korea use .com

Just because the transliterations are delayed doesn't mean that everyone is going to forget the dot com exists. A lot of companies would have to become insolvent or switch domains for that to occur.

I do think the new gTLDS will have an impact on the value of long tail dot com and even cctlds. I still think strong, premium single words will hold their values or even perhaps increase. Most of the new gTLDs will be duds.

IDNs, specifically IDN dot coms, will not be winners in every country. But there will certainly be at least a few countries that embrace them. Personally, I think the best approach is to stay diversified and stick with dot coms. As I've always said stay away from .nets unless you can really afford to do so. With so many variables and uncertainties investing in IDN dot com right now is like betting black or red on the roulette wheel with a potential payoff equal to choosing a number. On the other hand, investing in .nets is like betting a number on the roulette wheel with the potential payoff equal to choosing black or red. The risk is not aligned with the reward especially with such low entrance barriers to the dot com idn market. Just my two cents.

Btw, premium idns are still selling behind the scenes. I have witnessed dot coms traded for many thousands over the last few months.
Old 25th February 2014, 03:59 PM

Jay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by idn View Post
IDNs, specifically IDN dot coms, will not be winners in every country. But there will certainly be at least a few countries that embrace them. Personally, I think the best approach is to stay diversified and stick with dot coms. As I've always said stay away from .nets unless you can really afford to do so.
Yep, agree.

Plus .coms generate traffic and revenue, which means you can at least cover renewals for a good many.

I have over 50 .nets. Not a single one pays for itself.
Old 25th February 2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post

Plus .coms generate traffic and revenue...
Ah, the days of yesteryear.
Old 25th February 2014, 04:29 PM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

http://www.businessinsider.com/mobil...-war-is-2012-7

http://venturebeat.com/2013/04/03/th...spent-in-apps/

http://blog.flurry.com/bid/80241/Mob...ed-by-Facebook

http://blog.hubspot.com/blog/tabid/6...-Day-Data.aspx

need more?

Quote:
Same here. I actually really get annoyed with all the "download the app" links when I visit mobile sites. A lot of apps these days provide less value to me than a bookmark. And I not referring to small forum type apps, but large companies.

I have owned almost every iphone since 2007 and there are only about 5-10 apps I use regularly. Although hundreds have been downloaded and deleted.

Personally, I don't see domains going anywhere. If anything I think they will become more important. I know a lot of people that would rather enter a short address into a browser than search their apps. Of course this varies greatly country to country and I'll admit that my situation could differ greatly than someone in China or Saudi Arabia. That said, most people can't work from their mobiles and many people browse the internet when working.

Last edited by jose; 25th February 2014 at 04:32 PM..
Old 25th February 2014, 04:56 PM

Not convinced. I didn't look at all of the links, but I did open "The mobile war is over and the app has won: 80% of mobile time spent in apps"

Here's part of the breakdown:

32% games
18% facebook
6% social networking

12% safari
4% android native
2% opera mini
2% other

The 56% above is to me what apps are designed for: games, social networking. People like to waste time on their mobiles. Some of my 5-10 apps include a couple of games. I actually visit fb mobile.

20% of the above basically states to me if people are not playing games or social networking they are most likely using their browsers

Another 10% for productivity and utility apps.

This also states to me that people don't do any real work, make big purchases or decide on major decisions from their mobiles. That's where laptops, pc's and tablets come in. Also, the real ad money.

Apps do not scare me one bit.
Old 25th February 2014, 05:27 PM

Jay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Ah, the days of yesteryear.
C'mon, it'll recover. Just an overdue correction is all.
Old 25th February 2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
C'mon, it'll recover. Just an overdue correction is all.
I hope so because I am getting hungry! lol
Old 25th February 2014, 06:37 PM

123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
certainly be at least a few countries that embrace them. Personally, I think the best approach is to stay diversified and stick with dot coms. As I've always said stay away from .nets unless you can really afford to do so.
I think the problem with .net is: It is already damn hard to sell an english ASCII.net for a decent amount of cash, sometimes even stellar terms don't sell very high if you consider what the .com version is worth.

now what do you think would happen in a smaller market like thai or arabic or even japanese or russia and also china. Do you think they will be worth more anytime soon if ever? Nope. They will probably be worth much less.

So even if IDNs should become extremely popular in a specific market even great terms might sell for far less than what .nets sell today in english. So even if you pick great terms they will be probably not worth that much.

.com .net renewals have the same cost but .net potential is very limited. Unless you are no longer able to find a .com it does not make much sense to buy .nets.

the highest .net sales might be below mid 6 figures. while this might seem a lot the probability to sell an ASCII.net for that amount is about the same as to sell a .com domain for 13 million. Extremely unlikely.

Last edited by 123; 25th February 2014 at 06:38 PM..
Old 26th February 2014, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123 View Post
So even if IDNs should become extremely popular in a specific market even great terms might sell for far less than what .nets sell today in english. So even if you pick great terms they will be probably not worth that much.

.com .net renewals have the same cost but .net potential is very limited. Unless you are no longer able to find a .com it does not make much sense to buy .nets.

the highest .net sales might be below mid 6 figures. while this might seem a lot the probability to sell an ASCII.net for that amount is about the same as to sell a .com domain for 13 million. Extremely unlikely.
Looks like China is going to be one whopper of a market.

"More than half of China’s 450 million Internet users regularly use a social media platform, writing blog posts, posting updates on Renren (China’s Facebook equivalent) or status messages to Sina Weibo, a microblogging site similar to Twitter. And the vast majority of those updates are in Chinese, not English."

http://qz.com/96054/english-is-no-lo...ge-of-the-web/
Old 26th February 2014, 02:41 PM

123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc View Post
Looks like China is going to be one whopper of a market.

"More than half of China’s 450 million Internet users regularly use a social media platform, writing blog posts, posting updates on Renren (China’s Facebook equivalent) or status messages to Sina Weibo, a microblogging site similar to Twitter. And the vast majority of those updates are in Chinese, not English."

http://qz.com/96054/english-is-no-lo...ge-of-the-web/
yes true. they are already quite big and will be even bigger eventually.
one of the reasons why i like chinese domains.
Old 26th February 2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
I do think the new gTLDS will have an impact on the value of long tail dot com and even cctlds. I still think strong, premium single words will hold their values or even perhaps increase. Most of the new gTLDs will be duds.
i think quality will continue to increase in value and crap will always be crap. i remember looking at the RS portfolio from 2000. A lot of the domains are still worthless today. buying randomly didn't work even back then.
Old 3rd March 2014, 05:14 AM
Veteran

Here: http://money.cnn.com/2014/02/28/tech...net/index.html

Quote:
Not convinced. I didn't look at all of the links, but I did open "The mobile war is over and the app has won: 80% of mobile time spent in apps"

Here's part of the breakdown:

32% games
18% facebook
6% social networking

12% safari
4% android native
2% opera mini
2% other

The 56% above is to me what apps are designed for: games, social networking. People like to waste time on their mobiles. Some of my 5-10 apps include a couple of games. I actually visit fb mobile.

20% of the above basically states to me if people are not playing games or social networking they are most likely using their browsers

Another 10% for productivity and utility apps.

This also states to me that people don't do any real work, make big purchases or decide on major decisions from their mobiles. That's where laptops, pc's and tablets come in. Also, the real ad money.

Apps do not scare me one bit.