IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th May 2014, 02:58 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy
Google adsense allegations

http://pastebin.com/qh6Tta3h

Makes an interesting read.
Old 4th May 2014, 05:43 AM

NameYourself will become famous soon enoughNameYourself will become famous soon enoughNameYourself will become famous soon enoughNameYourself will become famous soon enoughNameYourself will become famous soon enoughNameYourself will become famous soon enoughNameYourself will become famous soon enough
Re: Google adsense allegations

Most stories like this start off based in fiction and then become misinterpreted and then added to with personal "theories" then wrapped up and sold as all fact when that's not really the case.

No one would argue that "quality control" is in google's best interest long-term and short-term for many of the reasons outlined in that article. Click Fraud was making headlines all over around that time and was a big problem. The most logical way to identify and comb through all the accounts is to start by looking at the biggest earners.. that only makes sense.. see what is legit and see what isn't, then work the rest of the way down the list. This "quality control" was desperately needed for many reasons, but to say driving force behind it all was to intentionally steal from legitimate publishers to boost their quarterly revenues is in my opinion a wild stretch.

Honestly I would look more into the percentage revenue share they pay out to publishers and ppc providers.. are they transparent about how much they must pay for the revenue share, as I don't believe so.. most involved in website publishing and domain parking can attest to the fact that ppc revenue has pretty much fallen off a cliff over the last several years, even with the same level of traffic. I believe there was a policy in place around this time in which google would determine everyone's revenue share on an individual basis of traffic "quality". Again the "quality" part comes into play. All I can say is with the "crap" and "fraud" traffic weeded out people with real good traffic and quality visitors have seen nothing but a steady decline in payout too (this was under the premise that publishers with the "quality" traffic would ultimately be getting higher cuts once the garbage was cleared out).. this has not been the case though. Revenue across the board has been downward for the publishers I know while G's revenue has always maintained at a healthy level.. What are everyone's revenue shares precisely based on, are those measures objective and evenly applied to everyone or are they vague and full of variance? Do they ever publish their exact revenue shares with publishers and do they even need to notify them when and as that payout share becomes reduced? These are the more important questions to focus on. I'm sure we will be hearing much more about this soon.

Last edited by NameYourself; 4th May 2014 at 05:49 AM..
Old 4th May 2014, 07:54 AM

clipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the rough

^ What NY said, and...

I don't believe anyone who would make it through the first interview at Google would construct a single one of those sentences, grammatically speaking.
Old 4th May 2014, 01:36 PM

123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road

i think it's made up. There would be far more efficient ways to rip-off people, in the case of google most likely automated and programmed so that you can blame the software if the truth becomes known.

i still think google is ripping many publishers and domainers off with their ppc and it is most likely done in a legal way. i think one of the reasons why parking is dying is Google.

there are many google-haters out there who would like to see them get harmed and that is for good reason. G has banned many Adsense accounts and thus destroyed many small online publishers as there are no real Adsense alternatives out there in many cases.

I do have read about automated bans in adsense accounts which had 5 figure balances. I don't think they were made up. I don't think G does this to enrich themselves. They just don't care and they know they can do it.

Still i don't get why parking revenues seem to be at an all-time low. Targeted type-ins should be worth a lot of money.

Not sure if the figures here are accurate:

https://flippa.com/2837804-bra-com
https://flippa.com/auctions/2837804/...nts/788203.jpg

If parking revenue is down so much, is it down because traffic levels are so much lower or because CPC has decreased? If it is the latter, where did all the money go? If a domain owner made $1000/month and now makes $150 someone else must earn the $850. Who is the other person? The advertiser, Google? G revenue certainly didn't drop.

Last edited by 123; 4th May 2014 at 01:49 PM..
Old 5th May 2014, 12:40 PM

mgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enough

Google makes 32% on all adsense clicks, maybe i'm missing something but doesn't make much sense Google banning accounts just to steal one month's income from a publisher.
Sounds more like it was written be some bitter publisher who got their account banned..
Old 5th May 2014, 01:02 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrohan View Post
Google makes 32% on all adsense clicks
Where did you get this info?
Old 5th May 2014, 01:47 PM

alexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enough

I attended an Adsense seminar organised by Google here in Greece a couple of years ago and they stated a figure similar to Mgrhon. They said that the publisher earns 70% and they take the remaining 30%. However - this was a few years ago, so I don't know if that figure has changed.

Old 5th May 2014, 02:03 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrohan View Post
Google makes 32% on all adsense clicks, maybe i'm missing something but doesn't make much sense Google banning accounts just to steal one month's income from a publisher.
Sounds more like it was written be some bitter publisher who got their account banned..
My sites earned US$164k at adsense before the ban hammer arrived in 2008. I'd been blocked a year earlier, telling me I had a "click to download" text link below my "Download Firefox" button that was too close to my adsense block, and they were worried it might cause people to click on adsense adverts instead. I fixed that problem and my account was restored.

In 2008, suddenly there was another problem - even though the page layout hadn't changed at all - and by then they'd moved to the "we won't tell you what's wrong, you have to develop psychic powers to get your account back" form of "customer support" so that was the end of google getting adsense revenue from my websites.

They have some bizarre attitudes - parking companies can't mention them by name. There's someone running the system there who is a bit of a psychopath, I think.