IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 2nd June 2006, 12:36 AM
Wot's Avatar
Wot Wot is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,588
iTrader: (30)
Rep Power: 1667
Wot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enough
Google results waste of time?

My learning process continues in respect of simp Chinese IDN, being told that some of the names I have regged are crap, that is the level of encouragement some members offer!

Anyway, "crap' has served a purpose and shows me that looking at Google results in the case of simplified chinese is a waste of time. There are no suitable OV results apart from some terms that get to "world" google- answer- get a native speaker.

It is really crazy when I search one term that gets 9 million (the accepted term I am told) and the reverse version gets 35 million.
__________________
红旗.com
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 2nd June 2006, 01:01 AM
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: On the Road
Posts: 2,276
iTrader: (50)
Rep Power: 1218
thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive
Re: Google results waste of time?

Simplified Chinese is difficult. Native speakers have a big advantage over others. Not to mention many of the decent terms are gone and the rest are disappearing quickly.

I usually use Baidu.com for Chinese SERP. One nice "feature" with Baidu is that it will turn your search term to Simplified if it's Traditional. This way you know you have the Simplified version.

Try using www.google.com/trends. You can compare terms here and get a relative feel for number of searches per month. If you have a "baseline" IDN this can serve as a crude Overture tool.

Good luck.
__________________
IDN? What's an IDN?
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 2nd June 2006, 02:10 AM
Wot's Avatar
Wot Wot is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,588
iTrader: (30)
Rep Power: 1667
Wot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enough
Re: Google results waste of time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefabfive
Simplified Chinese is difficult. Native speakers have a big advantage over others. Not to mention many of the decent terms are gone and the rest are disappearing quickly.

I usually use Baidu.com for Chinese SERP. One nice "feature" with Baidu is that it will turn your search term to Simplified if it's Traditional. This way you know you have the Simplified version.

Try using www.google.com/trends. You can compare terms here and get a relative feel for number of searches per month. If you have a "baseline" IDN this can serve as a crude Overture tool.

Good luck.

Ta
__________________
红旗.com
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 2nd June 2006, 02:26 AM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,864
iTrader: (60)
Rep Power: 2200
bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough
Re: Google results waste of time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wot
My learning process continues in respect of simp Chinese IDN, being told that some of the names I have regged are crap, that is the level of encouragement some members offer! :
We all own some "crap", you are just being welcomed to the club!
You may now proclaim that title onto others idns.
There is often no other word that seems to be so perfectly descriptive. lol
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 2nd June 2006, 02:56 AM
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,699
iTrader: (50)
Rep Power: 1246
gammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished road
Re: Google results waste of time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc
We all own some "crap", you are just being welcomed to the club!
You may now proclaim that title onto others idns.
There is often no other word that seems to be so perfectly descriptive. lol
Couldn't have said it better!
__________________
-----
Offers by e-mail, PM or forum post valid for 5 days
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 2nd June 2006, 03:10 AM
Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 7,495
iTrader: (65)
Rep Power: 2677
blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough
Re: Google results waste of time?

Wot, welcome to the club too, of having your IDNs taken away!

I feel sorry for you that your .bj.cn domains were taken away. I had my .ru IDNs taken away, and all my .org's canceled too.

The best we can do is see it as inspiration to do the best we can in the future.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 2nd June 2006, 03:21 AM
Wot's Avatar
Wot Wot is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,588
iTrader: (30)
Rep Power: 1667
Wot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enough
Re: Google results waste of time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast
Wot, welcome to the club too, of having your IDNs taken away!

I feel sorry for you that your .bj.cn domains were taken away. I had my .ru IDNs taken away, and all my .org's canceled too.

The best we can do is see it as inspiration to do the best we can in the future.

I do own Hotels.bj.cn , Hotel.hk.cn , OnlineCasino.mo.cn - that is allowed
__________________
红旗.com
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 2nd June 2006, 08:17 PM
Drewbert's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 6,091
iTrader: (20)
Rep Power: 0
Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy
Re: Google results waste of time?

>I had my .ru IDNs taken away, and all my .org's canceled too.

Ouch!
__________________
It's all jaded style to me.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 2nd June 2006, 08:19 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,320
iTrader: (2)
Rep Power: 1435
IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to IDNCowboy
Re: Google results waste of time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wot
I do own Hotels.bj.cn , Hotel.hk.cn , OnlineCasino.mo.cn - that is allowed
which names were taken away? Why? and did you get your $ back.
__________________
$995/mo drop lists available.. will be hand delivered by a playboy bunny
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 12:48 AM.

Site Sponsors
Your ad here
buy t-shirt
מחיר הזהב

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0
Copyright idnforums.com 2005

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54