IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th July 2014, 10:13 AM

alibuba is on a distinguished roadalibuba is on a distinguished roadalibuba is on a distinguished roadalibuba is on a distinguished roadalibuba is on a distinguished roadalibuba is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to alibuba
Updates

Anyone have any updates as to whats going on, where we are and whats predicted??

Would love to hear something about now. I haven't been checking much into IDN but still paying renewals.
Old 25th July 2014, 04:15 PM

TrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished road
Re: Updates

A pdf file dated March 12, 2014 below is the lastest update that I am aware of from Verisign:

Last edited by bwhhisc; 25th July 2014 at 09:02 PM.. Reason: Moderator removed link
Old 25th July 2014, 07:10 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficDomainer View Post
A pdf file dated March 12, 2014 below is the lastest update that I am aware of from Verisign:

file:///C:/Users/RK/Downloads/ga51-langstone-verisign_dotidn-approach-20140312%20(2).pdf

That url is from your C drive.

Public url: https://centr.org/system/files/agend...h-20140312.pdf

Quote:
Key Features
 One IDN provides the right to register the exact match IDN in the other related TLDs

p. 8

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 25th July 2014 at 07:13 PM..
Old 25th July 2014, 08:25 PM

TrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished road

Right, thanks Blast!

Mod, kindly remove my C Drive link.

Last edited by TrafficDomainer; 25th July 2014 at 08:31 PM..
Old 25th July 2014, 10:06 PM

squirrel is a name known to all
squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all

There was an earnings call yesterday. On the topic of IDN TLDs there specifically was no update. Still negotiating contract with ICANN. Emphasis by Bidzos on the lack of pricing restrictions, said they could even have different pricing for each TLD. Also said -not sure on the wording- marketing material would have to be prepared for the registrars i.e. In several languages (?). I think I understood the CFO to say he'd have financial projections for the IDNs at the next earnings call (in 3months).

Check the transcript if you can find it.
Old 26th July 2014, 09:26 AM

NameYourself will become famous soon enoughNameYourself will become famous soon enoughNameYourself will become famous soon enoughNameYourself will become famous soon enoughNameYourself will become famous soon enoughNameYourself will become famous soon enoughNameYourself will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
There was an earnings call yesterday. On the topic of IDN TLDs there specifically was no update. Still negotiating contract with ICANN. Emphasis by Bidzos on the lack of pricing restrictions, said they could even have different pricing for each TLD. Also said -not sure on the wording- marketing material would have to be prepared for the registrars i.e. In several languages (?). I think I understood the CFO to say he'd have financial projections for the IDNs at the next earnings call (in 3months).

Check the transcript if you can find it.
Yes there was excitment on verisign's part about the fact that they have tremendous flexibility in how they can price them as they are part of the new gtld program and prices aren't regulated the same as existing .com/.net. He said they had tremendous flexibility on pricing which was good in that it could help offset some of the marketing expenses. Marketing is going to be done mostly with foreign rgistrars and they aren't sure how exactly that will look yet. As for pricing I didn't necessarily take that to mean premium pricing vs. a flat pricing structure that could vary between each tld based on how much expenses may differ to market them in each language, still it is a possibility though. All in all I think Verisign is looking more at the long term approach rather than trying the pump n dump a couple premiums x,xxx (that likely will not renew each year) method we've seen from places like Donuts. They tried this themselves already with .tv and I believe really found it not the best way. We will see soon the choices they decide to make but much of that is still being decided.

Last edited by NameYourself; 26th July 2014 at 09:27 AM..
Old 30th July 2014, 09:13 PM

123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road

will we see IDN.IDN in 2014 or 2015?
Old 1st August 2014, 02:19 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

The window for contract signing closes in October?
Old 4th August 2014, 11:35 AM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

As far as I remember, 9 months maximum to negotiate contracts.

The puzzle remains why Verisign allows IDN.IDN to be put to the back of the new TLD queue when even ICANN attempted to prioritize IDNs over other "new" gTLDs. But that ship has sailed. Nearly all new TLDs have now launched, and IDN.IDN is nowhere to be seen or heard.

Obviously pricing isn't the sticking point. But equally as obviously, there *is* a major sticking point in the negotiations. I can't imagine Verisign enjoys this ongoing revenue loss.
Old 4th August 2014, 12:31 PM

123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru View Post

The puzzle remains why Verisign allows IDN.IDN to be put to the back of the new TLD queue when even ICANN attempted to prioritize IDNs over other "new" gTLDs. But that ship has sailed. Nearly all new TLDs have now launched, and IDN.IDN is nowhere to be seen or heard.
I don't understand why they would launch the IDNs together with the other gTLDs. Now no one will notice as they are more less invisible in a wave of hundreds of worthless extensions.

Last edited by 123; 4th August 2014 at 12:32 PM..
Old 4th August 2014, 12:33 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123 View Post
I don't understand why they would launch the IDNs together with the other gTLDs. Now no one will notice as they are more less invisible in a wave of hundreds of worthless extensions.
Yes, I rather get the impression that Versign are happy to wait until they have the stage to themselves.
Old 4th August 2014, 12:35 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru View Post

Obviously pricing isn't the sticking point. But equally as obviously, there *is* a major sticking point in the negotiations. I can't imagine Verisign enjoys this ongoing revenue loss.
Yes, obviously there is a hold up. We are talking non-standard constract here and the ICANN consensus model is slow at doing anything like that. If there were a major stumbling block, I think we would be hearing some very loud noises by now.