IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th February 2015, 01:00 AM

Location: Global Headquarters of the Dot Net Skepticism Alliance
idn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished road
Re: Q3 2014 Verisign Earnings Conference Call

Quote:
Originally Posted by NameYourself View Post
verisign is very intent on reserving the translits for existing registrants...
I didn't hear that. I heard they are reserving the translits for brands who are already registered in the dotcom, then general availability. You can't infer anything with these guys as they are very selective with their words.
Old 6th February 2015, 01:12 AM

NameYourself will become famous soon enoughNameYourself will become famous soon enoughNameYourself will become famous soon enoughNameYourself will become famous soon enoughNameYourself will become famous soon enoughNameYourself will become famous soon enoughNameYourself will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by idn View Post
I didn't hear that. I heard they are reserving the translits for brands who are already registered in the dotcom, then general availability. You can't infer anything with these guys as they are very selective with their words.
I also noticed that. The way they talked about it, ie not having to market the translits in the traditional way as other new tlds implied a much broader scope than just a traditional tm sunrise.. they called it a modified sunrise period, but yes brands are specifically the words they used.

Last edited by NameYourself; 6th February 2015 at 01:13 AM..
Old 6th February 2015, 01:28 AM

Location: Global Headquarters of the Dot Net Skepticism Alliance
idn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I also noticed that. The way they talked about it, ie not having to market the translits in the traditional way as other new tlds implied a much broader scope than just a traditional tm sunrise.. they called it a modified sunrise period, but yes brands are specifically the words they used.
Perhaps we are a 3rd group altogether. The group that gets fucked.
Trademark holders
Brands- e.g. Walmart.com, Vodaphone.com
Current idn.com registrants.
Old 6th February 2015, 01:42 AM

NameYourself will become famous soon enoughNameYourself will become famous soon enoughNameYourself will become famous soon enoughNameYourself will become famous soon enoughNameYourself will become famous soon enoughNameYourself will become famous soon enoughNameYourself will become famous soon enough

Verisign needs to protect their own brand. Their golden egg is .com itself. They don't want confusion in their own brand. They should want consistency, hence reserving (note that reserving does not necessarily mean registering -many domains in the new gtlds are reserved but do not have registrants.. sometimes indefinitely). I think they just don't want the potential for separate ownership as that could cause more confusion. If you owned the largest, most trusted, global tld in the entire world.. while a sea of new .confusing tlds are coming out.. would you want to enhance and reinforce that #1 position, or mucky it up further? I think they know all this and want to launch in this way, but whether or not it gets approved this way is still the bigger question.

Last edited by NameYourself; 6th February 2015 at 01:43 AM..
Old 6th February 2015, 07:31 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Exactly, that was what it was always about. Taken ten years but people are getting it.

Quote:
Verisign needs to protect their own brand. Their golden egg is .com itself. They don't want confusion in their own brand. They should want consistency, hence reserving (note that reserving does not necessarily mean registering -many domains in the new gtlds are reserved but do not have registrants.. sometimes indefinitely). I think they just don't want the potential for separate ownership as that could cause more confusion. If you owned the largest, most trusted, global tld in the entire world.. while a sea of new .confusing tlds are coming out.. would you want to enhance and reinforce that #1 position, or mucky it up further? I think they know all this and want to launch in this way, but whether or not it gets approved this way is still the bigger question.
Old 6th February 2015, 07:44 AM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: Sv: Q3 2014 Verisign Earnings Conference Call

Some sort, implies heavily modified, which means Sunrise but not as we know it.

The option, I would have pushed for Sunrise would be registration of unclaimed dot coms and blocking of those that are already registered for a year providing ample opportunity to resolve the issue through UDRP.

Well, no marketing is actually not that great, but Verisign are not just going to do nothing. But don't expect a TV campaign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWS View Post
https://investor.verisign.com/eventd...EventID=154374

From earnings call and without warranty of accuracy:

Q: Will the launch be in the first or second half of the year?
A: No concrete launch date at the moment, but there will be some sort of sunrise period for trademark holders.

Q: Are there some special marketing plans for the IDN launch?
A: There is no need for that, because its not a "new" launch. They will simply send you a mail, that your alias is now active

I think they are still in negotiations with ICANN, but if the last part is true, its a great news for us.
Old 6th February 2015, 07:46 AM
Veteran

PR pure and simple. They need to be seen to be acting in the interest of Brands. But of course reserving for existing registrants also does that in the majority of cases. Anyone who really gives a fuck should have already registered their own string or taken it to UDRP.

Quote:
Old 6th February 2015, 04:04 PM

IdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished road

Verisign signs 11 IDN comtracts!

http://domainnamewire.com/2015/02/06...idn-contracts/

Last edited by IdnHost; 6th February 2015 at 04:45 PM..
Old 6th February 2015, 04:30 PM

squirrel is a name known to all
squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all

My highlights below.

I think it's clear Pat Kane is referring to Verisign applying either for an Approved Launch Plan or a Registry Service Evaluation Process. We expected that.

George seems to say that they have a lot of work ahead with their .brand customers, so the IDN TLDs will be on the back seat until the 2nd half of 2015. The truth may well be that they're still struggling to come to an agreement with the Intellectual Property Constituency and they need more time.

Jim mentions "Brands" which could mean that they(the Brands) will have a different treatment than the "regular" registrants.

I note however that Jim used the word "trademark" when speaking of the traditional Sunrise, then switched to "brands" when referring Verisign's plans for a modified Sunrise.

I think it is safe to assume that the executives would not discuss something they are not sure of. So when Jim says
Quote:
We'll simply be notifying existing registrants brands that the transliteration of their .com registration is available to them
How exactly will they do that ? Email of course, but how do you determine if a .com registrant is a brand holder or not ??
I would guess either every .com domain is a brand thus every registrant is a brand holder, or by brand they actually mean registered trademarked terms.
If they mean registered trademarked terms, will this cover only exact match domains ? What about non EMD domains, like AmazonCoupons.com ? Plus, How do you make sure that the registrant has a right in a given trademark (i.e. What about Licensees ?).
I can't wrap my head around this one. If they simply limit the sunrise to those who own a TM and also own the matching .com, this can hardly be described as having "obvious benefits" as Jim said.

Quote:
Operator

[Operator Instructions] We'll take our next question from Sterling Auty with JPMorgan.

Sterling P. Auty - JP Morgan Chase & Co, Research Division
On the transliteration and new gTLD for your guys, the timing of those 11 transliterations, you mentioned the phases that you have to go through. Can you maybe put some general time ranges? Would you anticipate that these would be in the market more generally in the first half of the year or is it second half of the year?

Patrick S. Kane - Senior Vice President of Naming and Directory Services
So this is Pat, Sterling. I think it's really hard to tell because we are going to do -- we're going to ask for a modified Sunrise period and that will likely have to require approval from ICANN. We're not certain of that right now, but that's still going to take some time to get that and going as well as the Sunrise period and then the controlled interruption period for the identification of name collisions is also a long period. So it's hard to say right now as to what the exact time would be.

George E. Kilguss - Chief Financial Officer, Principal Accounting Officer and Senior Vice President
And Sterling, this is George. As we mentioned last quarter, many of our back-end registry customers qualify as .Brand gTLDs and ICANN gave .Brand applicants until July of this year to finish the agreement process. So I think your back half is much more likely than the front half of the year.

Sterling P. Auty - JP Morgan Chase & Co, Research Division
Okay, that makes sense. And could you give us a sense of when those launch in the marketplace, what kind of marketing spend or investment generally are you anticipating to drive those new IDNs into the marketplace?

D. James Bidzos - Founder, Executive Chairman, Chief Executive Officer and President
I think that's tough to say, Sterling, this is Jim. The marketing plan that Pat alluded to that's a little different with different Sunrise period, during the Sunrise period, trademark holders are invited to come in and register their marked names prior to general availability. We have what you might call a much more brand-friendly sort of Sunrise in the sense that we are reserving the transliteration of the brands that are registered in .com. And so that implies that there'll be a different marketing approach. We'll simply be notifying existing registrants brands that the transliteration of their .com registration is available to them. So it's hard to say, it's not a traditional sort of a marketing effort. I think, in general, it means that we're not going to need to go out and promote the availability of these IDNs, although we'll certainly do some of that because people are free to register whatever they like in them. But the brand holders who are registered in .com have their brand name reserved for them in the IDNs. They're protected against somebody else registering a name who doesn't own that name. But it's an opportunity for them to have their brand name in the native language script of countries that they operate in. So I think you can see the obvious benefits of that. Putting a price tag on that marketing effort, I think, is - it's just kind of too early to say what it will be. But it'll be focused. It'll be more focused because it's quite targeted. It's unique, I think, as far as any TLD that's ever been launched.
Old 6th February 2015, 07:11 PM

Jay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
I would guess either every .com domain is a brand thus every registrant is a brand holder, or by brand they actually mean registered trademarked terms.
The latter unfortunately.
Old 6th February 2015, 07:35 PM

Emil is an unknown quantity at this point

so if thats true then none of us who own our IDNs will get IDN .com translits unless we have trademark on them? that makes zero sense.

to me, based on what D. James Bidzos wrote above, especially his beginning sentences, mean that they are in fact differentiating between trademarks and brands. Trademark is a trademark but anything can be a brand.

Anyone here happen to have other quarterly transcripts to see whether its thier practice/habit to call regular IDNs as brands or not?
Old 7th February 2015, 05:54 AM

squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all

Search the forum for "earnings", most of the interesting bits have been reported here with quotes of the transcripts
Old 7th February 2015, 02:00 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emil View Post
so if thats true then none of us who own our IDNs will get IDN .com translits unless we have trademark on them? that makes zero sense.
If you don't have a trademark on it, why do you even own the domain? Are you a speculator? Speculators aren't valued customers, don't you know that. They have a word for that...
Old 7th February 2015, 05:13 PM

Jay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emil View Post
It might be that they are planning to reserve all equivalents (as per their original application), but just talking about it in the context of trademark holders here, because the subject-matter is the Sunrise period.

Really there's not much we can take from these comments.

Last edited by Jay; 7th February 2015 at 05:14 PM..
Old 8th February 2015, 12:59 AM

Globabel will become famous soon enoughGlobabel will become famous soon enoughGlobabel will become famous soon enoughGlobabel will become famous soon enoughGlobabel will become famous soon enoughGlobabel will become famous soon enoughGlobabel will become famous soon enough

Greetings IDNers,

1. All still on track to planned destination
2. Next stop: Registry Service Evaluation Process (RSEP)
3. Train slow moving though picking up some steam

Also: By definition, trademarks and brands are not one and the same and as such are not intentionally used interchangeably. While a trademark is also a brand, a brand may or may not also be a trademark. A trademark is a type of brand - a brand that is certified as entitled to defined legal protections. Brands that are not trademarks can still have legal protections - though more limited (as thru common law).
Old 10th February 2015, 02:24 AM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globabel View Post
Greetings IDNers,
Also: By definition, trademarks and brands are not one and the same and as such are not intentionally used interchangeably. While a trademark is also a brand, a brand may or may not also be a trademark. A trademark is a type of brand - a brand that is certified as entitled to defined legal protections. Brands that are not trademarks can still have legal protections - though more limited (as thru common law).
Good assessment and explanation on TM. Thanks for posting.
Old 11th February 2015, 07:14 AM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globabel View Post
Greetings IDNers,

Totally agree. Its clear from the comments of both Pat Kane and James Bidzos that brand holders are all current .com IDN registrants, not just TM holders.

That's why marketing is so cheap & easy - they just offer the translit of .com to every .com holder. If it was just TM holders, it wouldn't make sense, or gain a significant number of registrations.

Shame they still can't put a definite timeframe on it though ..... 2016 anyone?
Old 10th July 2015, 01:05 PM

Just a note to say that several RSEPs have been published but none were Verisign's

https://www.icann.org/resources/page...-2014-02-19-en

The next earning call is on July 23rd

https://investor.verisign.com/events.cfm