IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th April 2015, 03:20 PM

andre is on a distinguished roadandre is on a distinguished roadandre is on a distinguished roadandre is on a distinguished roadandre is on a distinguished roadandre is on a distinguished road
Unicode/Punycode Pair

I stumbled upon http://㯙㯜㯙㯟.net which is owned by http://www.boethin.net

If you have clicked on the link you will see an IDN converter.

There is though something interesting going on that is less obvious. 㯙㯜㯙㯟 is the unicode form of the punycode xn--domain. The chars 㯙㯜㯙㯟 are in Unicode CJK Unified Ideographs Ext A. These are uncommon chars and the online dictionaries I have tried do not have definitions for them.

Therefore the Unicode/Punycode Pair 㯙㯜㯙㯟/xn--domain does not have evident meaning for Unicode but has evident meaning for Punycode.

So that had me thinking whether or not there are any Perfect Unicode/Punycode Pairs which have evident and related meanings in both Unicode and Punycode.

Well I believe I have found one such Perfect Pair: 毁/xn--row

毁 = to destroy / to damage / to ruin / to defame / to slander
xn--row (as in quarrel)

André 小山 Schappo
Old 13th April 2015, 10:31 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy
Re: Unicode/Punycode Pair

You need to get yourself a hobby!
Old 13th April 2015, 11:44 PM

Avtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert View Post
You need to get yourself a hobby!
IDNs are by far the most expensive hobby I have ever had.

Avtal

P.S. Thanks, André, for the updates on new IDN gTLDs. Hope to see the .com IDN gTLDs announced someday.
Old 14th April 2015, 08:03 AM

123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road

never thought about idns that way.

http://㼮㼩㼻㼲㼶㼸㼦.com
Old 14th April 2015, 08:20 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

This kind of side show only normally gets attention when the main event has sold out.
Old 14th April 2015, 10:01 AM

andre is on a distinguished roadandre is on a distinguished roadandre is on a distinguished roadandre is on a distinguished roadandre is on a distinguished roadandre is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123 View Post
㼮㼩㼻㼲㼶㼸㼦/xn--idnforums : An Imperfect Pair

André 小山 Schappo
Old 14th April 2015, 10:37 AM

This is not just a mind game because a Perfect Pair would add value to an IDN.

Now I do not know how many Perfect Pairs there are, though with each release of Unicode containing new characters there is the potential for new Perfect Pairs.

For years now we have been hoping for proper Unicode display of IDNs and the situation has certainly improved. There are still though agents that display punycode form. Browsers will display punycode form if the IDN is not whitelisted.

A Perfect Pair gives the big advantage that whether the agent displays the IDN in unicode or punycode form, the user will still see a readable and meaningful and relevant Domain Name.

André 小山 Schappo
Old 15th April 2015, 11:16 AM

mgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
A Perfect Pair gives the big advantage that whether the agent displays the IDN in unicode or punycode form, the user will still see a readable and meaningful and relevant Domain Name.
But not readable because it is in English, a different language to the IDN and against the whole idea of IDNs in the first place of having the domain name not in English?!

Last edited by mgrohan; 15th April 2015 at 11:17 AM..
Old 15th April 2015, 11:21 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrohan View Post
But not readable because it is in English, a different language to the IDN and against the whole idea of IDNs in the first place of having the domain name not in English?!
If there is any advantage at all it is going to be miniscule.

The real problem, however, is the huge compromise on the IDN keyword and possibly purchase price you would likely have to make in order to achieve something really insiginificant.
Old 15th April 2015, 12:25 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avtal View Post
IDNs are by far the most expensive hobby I have ever had.
Avtal
Old 15th April 2015, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrohan View Post
Actually maybe I did not have a Perfect Pair after all because the example I gave was -

毁/xn--row
Chinese Character/English

A Perfect Pair for Mandarin Chinese would be

Chinese Character(s)/Pinyin

where Pinyin is a standard romanisation of Mandarin Chinese

Many languages have a romanised form

André 小山 Schappo
Old 16th April 2015, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Here's a perfect pair for you...

http://xn--ykda.com
Old 17th April 2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert View Post
Here's a perfect pair for you...

http://xn--ykda.com

Once I saw the site I thought I must whitelist myanmar/burmese in chrome but it does not appear in the list of languages in chrome

André 小山 Schappo